• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

whitfc

Just speaking generally for myself, and I would hate to give miniDSP any ideas here because I don’t think they could pull off the execution: if a device is already $1300 but a company going to treat me like a criminal over warranty service, then I‘d prefer they charge me a bit more and behave with a modicum of self-respect for their business and how they treat customers. You have to build that sort of maintenance of goodwill into the price or you quickly run out of customers.

I think this is a good point. This kind of product needs to have a good returns and support policy built in to the cost model.

nick-v

Posted on the miniDSP forum yesterday regarding Roon Ready Cert:

"It's indeed a valid question to ask..
smile.png

- Unit been in the queue for 2month. We received the feedback for few issues. They are being worked out by the engineers. 3 of them being harder as they required modification of other parts of Volumio (upnp side/Volume control method).
- Volumio team is on a break this month but we're hoping they can incorporate these changes in September.
- We'll then send the updated firmware to the team.

Devteam"

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Posted on the miniDSP forum yesterday regarding Roon Ready Cert:

"It's indeed a valid question to ask..
smile.png

- Unit been in the queue for 2month. We received the feedback for few issues. They are being worked out by the engineers. 3 of them being harder as they required modification of other parts of Volumio (upnp side/Volume control method).
- Volumio team is on a break this month but we're hoping they can incorporate these changes in September.
- We'll then send the updated firmware to the team.

Devteam"
Thanks for posting

kokoon

Forum Donor
In (very remotely) related news - I finally managed to order a Schiit Freya+ to plug between the SHD and NC252. Really curious to hear the combo, should be interesting pairing for the P3ESRs and the KC62 (that won't be going through the Freya).

whitfc

In (very remotely) related news - I finally managed to order a Schiit Freya+ to plug between the SHD and NC252. Really curious to hear the combo, should be interesting pairing for the P3ESRs and the KC62 (that won't be going through the Freya).
So will use be using the SHD DAC for the KC62 And the Schiit?

testp

How is the KC62? any shortcomings for bass?

kokoon

Forum Donor
How is the KC62? any shortcomings for bass?
It's pretty great, but plan on dialling it in even more. It's my first sub ever, so not the best judge. Not missing any bass, that's for sure. Also - not HPing the mains right now and the sub is getting full range signal too, to work around the auto-standby.

Distordera

I am sorry if this has been answered before, the thread is a bit long to read in all I believe.

I am looking for a good 2ch setup with some quality of life functions.
Has the ”SHD” got auto on/off and auto line chooser when a signal is fed?
This is mostly for my not that tech savvy wife. She likes to press play on Spotify and be done. Thanks!

kokoon

Forum Donor
I am sorry if this has been answered before, the thread is a bit long to read in all I believe.

I am looking for a good 2ch setup with some quality of life functions.
Has the ”SHD” got auto on/off and auto line chooser when a signal is fed?
This is mostly for my not that tech savvy wife. She likes to press play on Spotify and be done. Thanks!
No and no :)

nothingman

I’d beg to differ and will say “no” and “yes, in your case.” Auto-on? No. Not gonna happen, but that’s one button on a remote.

“Auto line chooser,” if I understand you correctly, yes in your case. The only time the SHD jumps to an active input is when something begins playing on a network connection, and that includes Spotify Connect like you plan to use. So once your wife picks a song on Spotify and selects the SHD on her list of speakers, the SHD will jump from whatever input its on to LAN. That doesn’t happen on anything else, like when you begin sending a signal to XLR or SPDIF, etc.

Distordera

I’d beg to differ and will say “no” and “yes, in your case.” Auto-on? No. Not gonna happen, but that’s one button on a remote.

“Auto line chooser,” if I understand you correctly, yes in your case. The only time the SHD jumps to an active input is when something begins playing on a network connection, and that includes Spotify Connect like you plan to use. So once your wife picks a song on Spotify and selects the SHD on her list of speakers, the SHD will jump from whatever input its on to LAN. That doesn’t happen on anything else, like when you begin sending a signal to XLR or SPDIF, etc.

Ok, thanks for the input.
Well, english is not my native language but you got the auto line chooser on the spot :)

Shame it just works on ethernet. Was not planning on using the internal streaming function.

The power button is not an old school mechanical switch is it? If then it could be controlled by a programable power splitter.

whitfc

Presumable the SHD will wake up from sleep whenever something begins playing on the network connection too?
Does the SHD have any lights on during sleep state? I’m looking to use mine in my bedroom. So hopefully not!

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Presumable the SHD will wake up from sleep whenever something begins playing on the network connection too?
Does the SHD have any lights on during sleep state? I’m looking to use mine in my bedroom. So hopefully not!
For your first question - mine does
And your second - no lights or display on mine when asleep.

Sonny1

I’m going to order one of these. Is it advisable to buy from the dealer or directly from the company? Any advantages or disadvantages to either option?

Top Bottom