• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

radix

Major Contributor
I received the unit same day a new update was released, and factory reset it entirely per MiniDSP's recommendation (managed to have single exchange with their support before their holiday) - so everything was zeroed and updated to the newest.

When using the internal streamer it is hooked straight to ethernet (never figured out how to use the wifi thing on it, and had a cable ready anyway).

Would playing music from a USB stick be to play something via Volumio, without it being via the internet connection?

Hope I don't have to outright replace the board, though its still better than the entire unit obviously :p
Tho would suck since the price I got it at wasn't exactly amazing in the first place, but such is life.

Didn't know the Anthem units, or that they had a different room correction - how does it compare to Dirac? Guessing favourably since you switched? I had considered a Lyngdorf amplifier as well, but I wanted all the DSP/crossover options for developing DIY speakers, and the pre outs since I have my own power amplifier I want to use.
There should be a USB host port next to the ethernet port that you can use from Volumio. But if you're using Ethernet, I doubt it will make a difference. There could be an issue with the cable or wall jacks, but unlikely.

I'd open a case w/ minidsp and they will likey get you to dump the volumio logs from that /dev link I mentioned.

I was using the SHD back in the Volumio 2 days. It took way too long to boot up for me -- I wanted to play music when I turned it on, not 30s later (or whatever eternity it took to boot up). So I was using an external streamer on it anyway (Volumio on RP4).

I switched to the Anthem because of the user interface. The SHD is too opaque: things are only called "XLR" or "TOSLINK" etc. My partner could never figure it out. The phono is called "RCA". Makes no sense to her. And even I would forget what's plugged into what. The Anthem uses virtual named interfaces that can take a feed from any physical port. You can set them up with different room corrections or other settings.

New, the Anthem STR preamp is like $4k, but I got a used like-new one for $2.5k from a dealer that took it as a trade-in.

If you want to tweak your filters or really dive in the weeds, minidsp is better. The minidsp lets you do your own filters too, besides DIRAC. I think DIRAC was easier to use than ARC Genesis too, and to adjust the response curve. That said, I was able to eventually get ARC Genesis doing what I wanted and got a nice room correction out of it. It might just be me being dense about the user interface or how to run ARC Genesis, but that get's back to the DIRAC is easier to use point.

For me, a bit more complication on the setup is worth it for the 100% easier to interpret user interface. The STR also has treble/bass/sub adjustments directly on the screen, so it's easier to tweak. I wish it had knobs for those, but I'll take the menu access.

andrew

@mdsimon2

I’m considering purchasing a mini-DSP SHD Studio with AES1/2 driving a DAC / power amp / main speakers and AES 3/4 driving a mini-DSP 10x10HD that manages a fleet of three subwoofers that are optimized using MSO. Are there any issues with, in effect, running different DAC for the main speakers and subwoofers? I seem to recall that there can be issues with timing for USB DACs but here I’m using AES so am assuming that it’s all ok.

P.S. Yes, the alternative is to use mini-DSP SHD which has on-board DAC, but this is less attractive as the Studio allows me to leverage an existing stereo DAC and avoids the A/D/A on the bass. Also, down the track, I might revisit the model using the mini-DSP SHD as a digital pre-amp ahead of a computer based x/o.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
@mdsimon2

I’m considering purchasing a mini-DSP SHD Studio with AES1/2 driving a DAC / power amp / main speakers and AES 3/4 driving a mini-DSP 10x10HD that manages a fleet of three subwoofers that are optimized using MSO. Are there any issues with, in effect, running different DAC for the main speakers and subwoofers? I seem to recall that there can be issues with timing for USB DACs but here I’m using AES so am assuming that it’s all ok.

P.S. Yes, the alternative is to use mini-DSP SHD which has on-board DAC, but this is less attractive as the Studio allows me to leverage an existing stereo DAC and avoids the A/D/A on the bass. Also, down the track, I might revisit the model using the mini-DSP SHD as a digital pre-amp ahead of a computer based x/o.
No issues. In addition to gain settings and (optional) LP/HP filter PEQ settings, MSO will produce delays for each subwoofer and this will compensate for any delays induced by daisy-chaining to the 10x10. I had a similar setup with an SHD and a 2x4 HD with 4 subs (and using MSO) a while back. It will take some effort/patience to get everything configured but I’m sure you already know that. I got tired of it after a while and went with Dirac on a Mac with DLBC.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@mdsimon2

As mentioned by others there will be no timing issues as long as your DAC is not something weird like a Denafrips with a variable latency FIFO buffer.

Only thing I should note is the SHD has both digital and analog outputs so is certainly more flexible than the SHD Studio.

Michael

andrew

As mentioned by others there will be no timing issues as long as your DAC is not something weird like a Denafrips with a variable latency FIFO buffer.

Only thing I should note is the SHD has both digital and analog outputs so is certainly more flexible than the SHD Studio.

Michael
Much appreciated. I'd somehow missed the fact that the SHD has S/PDIF (Coax) output! It's kind of tempting as there is a scenario in which domestic harmony requires moving from 3 to 2 subwoofers at which point I could get to a one box solution. And, I guess, if I do return to s/w based cross-over then I can use S/PDIF to AES cable to feed the AES input of my RME UFX.

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
Much appreciated. I'd somehow missed the fact that the SHD has S/PDIF (Coax) output! It's kind of tempting as there is a scenario in which domestic harmony requires moving from 3 to 2 subwoofers at which point I could get to a one box solution. And, I guess, if I do return to s/w based cross-over then I can use S/PDIF to AES cable to feed the AES input of my RME UFX.
The SHD has two separate SPDIF coax outputs. One for channels 1 & 2 and one for channels 3 & 4 so it can be connected to two seperate stereo DACs. So if you are motivated not to use the SHD internal DAC you can still use external DACs including one to mange the subs. Of course crossover points and DSP can still be used by the SHD for each channel.

andrew

I had a similar setup with an SHD and a 2x4 HD with 4 subs (and using MSO) a while back. It will take some effort/patience to get everything configured but I’m sure you already know that. I got tired of it after a while and went with Dirac on a Mac with DLBC.
What was the reason for ditching mini-DSP / MSO for Mac / DBLC? (A while back I was using a PC / RME UFX to deal with FIR filters from Audiolense but getting the occasional issue with the PC made it untenable for the family)

mamsterla

I use the miniDSP with complex set of inputs and outputs - analog in for my turntable, digital in for a streamer that is a bit easier than the built in one. I also have outputs to a DAC which I like better than the one in the miniDSP (although it is a fine DAC). I use it with mains and 2 subs that I group as mono after doing REW based room tuning. The cool thing is it works well with Harmony remote, Roon, etc. It is just very family friendly for such a versatile tool.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
What was the reason for ditching mini-DSP / MSO for Mac / DBLC? (A while back I was using a PC / RME UFX to deal with FIR filters from Audiolense but getting the occasional issue with the PC made it untenable for the family)
I would have kept the miniDSP if they would have added support for DLBC.

Top Bottom