• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD replacing Meridian G61R?

syzygetic

I have a Meridian G61R running my trifield setup with DSP5200.2s and a couple subwoofers. I don't do surround on the G61R, so that's not needed, and, though I like Trifield, it isn't required, for sure.

Has anyone tried to use a MiniDSP SHD with Meridian gear? I can't think of a reason I couldn't get this to work... I would essentially give up the Trifield center, and just have:

MiniDSP SHD Analog RCA x2 >> SB-3000 Subwoofers x2
MiniDSP SHD Coax >> Right DSP5200.2
Right DSP5200.2 SpeakerLink RJ45 >> Left DSP5200.2

Seems like this is a great way to get DSP, Roon, and feed my speakers all in one box. Anyone try to supersede a Meridian processor with an SHD and live to tell the tale?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Meridian AC12 interface might allow the use of MiniDSP front ends.

OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

What would you use to control the DSP5200's as they need Meridian's comms?
They can take coax in just fine, works straight from the streamer if I want to.

Meridian Comms over RJ45 is proprietary, but the SPDIF on each speaker isn’t, so I can run SPDIF into one of them (master elected speaker), and RJ45 between the two.

nstzya

Seems like this is a great way to get DSP, Roon, and feed my speakers all in one box. Anyone try to supersede a Meridian processor with an SHD and live to tell the tale?
Just curious, bc my response depends on the answer - what do you want to do with the DSP?

OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

Just curious, bc my response depends on the answer - what do you want to do with the DSP?
PEQ, really. I develop a room correction in REW right now, deals with bass, mostly... nothing over 400Hz requires correction in my room.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I have a Meridian G61R running my trifield setup with DSP5200.2s and a couple subwoofers. I don't do surround on the G61R, so that's not needed, and, though I like Trifield, it isn't required, for sure.

Has anyone tried to use a MiniDSP SHD with Meridian gear? I can't think of a reason I couldn't get this to work... I would essentially give up the Trifield center, and just have:

MiniDSP SHD Analog RCA x2 >> SB-3000 Subwoofers x2
MiniDSP SHD Coax >> Right DSP5200.2
Right DSP5200.2 SpeakerLink RJ45 >> Left DSP5200.2

i own one, set the mains to channel 1&2 and subs to 3&4…you can tweak the delays needed for distance and meridian dsp in chain. Should work fine. Only the full shd will work, the studio doesn’t have analog out for the subs

nstzya

I have to assume that you prefer your own room correction to the Meridian’s? How so? Curious, not being argumentative (we need an emoji or acronym for that BTW).

What you are suggesting should work.

I would add that a simpler, cheaper alternative to the (overpriced IMO) AC12 interface was developed in the secondary market called The Reviver. It is no longer being produced, but can occasionally be found in the used market (as can the AC12 for that matter). Not sure either is going to do much for your situation however, since all you’d be using is the coaxial SPDIF input - something you can do directly into the master DSP5200 anyway.

Last edited:
OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

I have to assume that you prefer your own room correction to the Meridian’s? How so? Curious, not being argumentative (we need an emoji or acronym for that BTW).

What you are suggesting should work.

I would add that a simpler, cheaper alternative to the (overpriced IMO) AC12 interface was developed in the secondary market called The Reviver. It is no longer being produced, but can occasionally be found in the used market (as can the AC12 for that matter). Not sure either is going to do much for your situation however, since all you’d be using is the coaxial SPDIF input - something you can do directly into the master DSP5200 anyway.
So, the Meridian speakers are great, I have no complaints about them above 400Hz. The sub integration, though, especially dual subs, just isn't there, neither in the speakers themselves nor in the processors. Even if you have multiple subs, they just treat them as separate channels and share crossover settings, leave few PEQ options, etc. I can do some of this in the SVS app, but it's a hack.

And honestly, they have strong response down to at least 40Hz, so it's not like the subs are crucial for bass in music, but I absolutely love the effect subs have on distortion in the main speakers they offload, so I'm sold on having them. Plus, they are admittedly fun for movie purposes and electronic music.

The real downside to moving away from a Meridian processor for me might be Trifield. I love the Trifield (Ambisonic) mode, and I do have three mains (LCR), so... I'll go stereo if I do MiniDSP SHD, but this is fine, the speakers are no slouch on imaging.

hemiutut

PEQ, really. I develop a room correction in REW right now, deals with bass, mostly... nothing over 400Hz requires correction in my room.
Since you are measuring with REW, can you put the mdat file?
I'm just curious to see the acoustics of the room and see the response.
in frequency in its full range.

Written with translator.

Greetings

nstzya

So, the Meridian speakers are great, I have no complaints about them above 400Hz. The sub integration, though, especially dual subs, just isn't there, neither in the speakers themselves nor in the processors. Even if you have multiple subs, they just treat them as separate channels and share crossover settings, leave few PEQ options, etc. I can do some of this in the SVS app, but it's a hack.

And honestly, they have strong response down to at least 40Hz, so it's not like the subs are crucial for bass in music, but I absolutely love the effect subs have on distortion in the main speakers they offload, so I'm sold on having them. Plus, they are admittedly fun for movie purposes and electronic music.

The real downside to moving away from a Meridian processor for me might be Trifield. I love the Trifield (Ambisonic) mode, and I do have three mains (LCR), so... I'll go stereo if I do MiniDSP SHD, but this is fine, the speakers are no slouch on imaging.
The G61R has room correction, correct? Apparently you don’t like it as well as whats available using the SHD? Or is it the better bass management available with the SHD? I’ll be curious to hear your take on the comparison - particularly the Trifield loss.

OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

Since you are measuring with REW, can you put the mdat file?
I'm just curious to see the acoustics of the room and see the response.
in frequency in its full range.

Written with translator.

Greetings
Yeah, sure! It'll be a while, I'm away from the house for at least a week, but I'll post some data as soon as I can.

OP
syzygetic

syzygetic

The G61R has room correction, correct? Apparently you don’t like it as well as whats available using the SHD? Or is it the better bass management available with the SHD? I’ll be curious to hear your take on the comparison - particularly the Trifield loss.
It has super basic room correction, nothing like what you can do in the SHD, more like what you might do on a studio monitor with lots of DIP switches... canned DSP corrections like boundary, corner, etc.

The bass management is truly the improvement, though, and, to be honest, I'd love to play with Dirac or Audiolense, or one of these non DIY REW alternatives, since I haven't really messed with them and I'm curious. So I guess bass management and a chance to play with Dirac in a way which isn't a mess of additional stuff in the chain is the real idea here.

nstzya

Sorry. Shoulda been more specific. Source playing what resolution?

Top Bottom