• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP SHD Power for KEF R3

haleks

Hey all,

I recently purchased a pair of KEF R3 to see what the hype is all about, and I was thinking of playing around with REW and/or Dirac Live. I'm tempted by the SHD Power as an all in one solution for streaming, DSP, and amplification, as I'd like the system to be simple to use with relatively few wires.

However, I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the measurements amir made in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-shd-power-amplifier-review.17586/, especially wrt to the 4ohm/8ohm wattage discrepancy. The recommended max wattage for the R3 is 180W, and the SHD Power seems to max out at 167W / 4 ohm, but only 85W / 8ohm. The R3 is rated 8 ohm, but apparently 'can dip as low as 3.5 ohm' so I'm having trouble understanding how the SHD Power would actually behave with the R3 wrt the max power output.

I'm not too worried about it, since for my apartment and listening level 85W would probably be more than adequate, but I'd appreciate if someone could guide me to understand the above measurements. I might consider integrating a sub later down the line, which might also help out somewhat with the power requirements of the R3?

Top Bottom