• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Power Amplifier Review

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Keep in mind that the OEMs aren't necessarily resorting to counterfeits - they can also be victims of a polluted supply chain.

I guess that's possible, so point taken. That said, the NE5532 is such an ancient device -- and thus relatively easy to duplicate accurately with today's much improved manufacturing equipment and techniques -- that a counterfeit fabricated in a modern silicon foundry is likely to be indistinguishable from "the real thing" performance-wise. We're not talking about a 12-core microprocessor or even a highly sophisticated Class D output chip here, folks -- at this point in IC history, an NE5532 is the semiconductor equivalent of a jellybean. :cool:

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the multifunction Minidsp SHD Power amplifier with Dirac Room EQ and general signal processing. It was kindly sent to me by a member and costs US $1499 including a measurement microphone.

The SHD Power has a muscular look and feel to it:

View attachment 94015

I like the large display and size of the big knob. Then again, for a right handed person I like to see the knob on the right, not left! Sensitivity of the rotary encoder is good for volume changes but not for selection of inputs. It is not predictable how much you need to turn it to change inputs. It also has many functions overloaded into its single click making it hard to use. I understand a remote comes with but I did not have it so don't know to what extent it remedies these issues.

The back panel shows unique set of inputs and outputs;
View attachment 94017

As you see from the dual XLR outputs, the SHD Power supports four (4) channels of processing and digital output. If you want to use analog out to an external amplifier, you only have RCA outputs. A good suite of digital inputs are provided from USB to streaming via network. I was unhappy to see that streaming is limited to Airplay only as that doesn't support anything above 16 bits and its conversion from 24 bits to 16 is quite awful. Minidsp should get Roon support for it.

In use, only the bottom of the unit got warm and not that much. So make sure you don't put it on anything hot. Amplification is class D of course but not through any Hypex or ICE modules. Instead, I have read that it uses a TI chip amp (TPA3255).

Minidsp SHD Power Measurement: DAC
Let's start with the DAC performance as seen through the RCA outputs. Spec says that it can only reach 1.7 volts and that is true. Severe clipping occurs above that:

View attachment 94019

But look at that excellent SINAD score! This is a very competent DAC implementation in a multifunction amplifier with DSP. It holds its own against standalone DACs:

View attachment 94020

And among AVRs and AV Processors, it ties for the best there is:
View attachment 94022

Sweeping the output level we see the issue above 1.7 volts:
View attachment 94023

Fortunately vast majority amplifiers out there should be able to reach their maximum power at 1.7 volts.

I like the high attenuation of the DAC filter:

View attachment 94024

Which indicates very noise floor in the DAC (sorry, forgot to run dynamic range test).

The DAC in use must be ESS as we see a hint of increasing IMD distortion in mid levels:
View attachment 94025

My multitone test runs at 192 kHz. Documentation says SHD Power runs at 96 kHz internally. That may be the reason this test result is not as good as it could be:

View attachment 94026

Linearity is near perfect:

View attachment 94027

Jitter shows a lot of random spikes but some of that is due to low noise floor and at any rate, they are utterly inaudible:

View attachment 94028

Notice how both inputs are clean.

This last test was a puzzle:

View attachment 94029

Something else other than distortion is dominating this wide bandwidth test. So let's look at that spectrum:

View attachment 94030

We see a common technique called "noise shaping" where noise in audible band is pushed out into ultrasonics. That is there regardless of the distortion in the device so heavily degrades the previous measurement. Since we don't hear the ultrasonic noise, it is fine although I do like newer approaches that keep this spectrum clean.

Minidsp SHD Power Measurements: Amplifier
We could have guessed the good performance of the DAC subsystem based on our previous review of Minidsp SHD. Question then is how good the amplifier is. Let's get into that using digital input which is the only option we have:

View attachment 94031

This is well above average performance but alas, not what many of us were hoping:

View attachment 94032

That expectation aside, performance is pretty good, especially for a chip amp:

View attachment 94033

Crosstalk is excellent although the path here is digital so not fair to analog input amplifiers:

View attachment 94034

Frequency response had early roll off but easily fixable by turning on the DSP:
View attachment 94035

Noise performance is very good though missing my mark for excellence at 5 watts:
View attachment 94036

The amp doesn't seem too happy driving 4 ohm load:

View attachment 94037

It shut itself down before clipping (sadly with no indicator on the display). Power available though is much more than specification to the tune of 167 watts. Strangely the spec shows the same power for 8 ohm but that is not what I got:

View attachment 94038

Notice the cleaner results now, easily beating our "high-end" Arcam AVR10. We have a nearly 10 dB advantage in noise department.

I could not run my peak and max power test due to the chip amp aggressive protection mechanisms. This is good for reliability but not for this type of testing or hoping for burst peaks.

I set a lower limit to run power curves for different frequencies:

View attachment 94039

At or below 1 kHz response is very clean. Above that it gets erratic. Fortunately audibility of distortion gets lower at higher frequencies so consequences are much lower.

Conclusions
To paraphrase a saying, expectation is enemy of good. Such is the case here. The Minidsp SHD delivers the best performance in the DAC department for amplifiers with equalization. Certainly going above and beyond even high-end AV Processors. Alas, such is not matched by its amplifier implementation, wasting much of the performance of the DAC on it.

I should note that the Minidsp Windows App is a delight to use to program the SHD Power to do what you want across four channels. You can easily convert this unit to make an excellent powered stereo 2-way speaker. Or go crazy and build a 4-way one in mono with ease. Automatic EQ is also available courtesy of Dirac but manual ability is excellent as well. Likely the amp here is more powerful and lower distortion and noise than you find in all but the highest rated powered speakers.

My wish for minidsp is simple: offer a second unit with a Purifi amplifier module in it. And add Roon streaming.

For now, I am still going to recommend the Minidsp SHD Power. It is a good attempt at excellence in a field where such is very hard to find.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

My speaker are 4 Ohms Will this amplifier drive them?

D

Deleted member 4708

I read the review yet I'm not sure: Would the amplifier section of this Integrated Amp + DSP produce audible distortion? Is it worth considering for a pair of good 4 ohm speakers? 88db SINAD at 5 watt doesn't seem stellar.
Would there be an audible difference between MiniDSP SHD + Benchmark ABH2 and this for example?

Last edited by a moderator:

stemfencer

I read the review yet I'm not sure: Would the amplifier section of this Integrated Amp + DSP produce audible distortion? Is it worth considering for a pair of good 4 ohm speakers? 88db SINAD at 5 watt doesn't seem stellar.
Would there be an audible difference between MiniDSP SHD + Benchmark ABH2 and this for example?
I think the better option is the newly release dspmini Flex and pairing it with a Hypex Ncore (or Purifi etc) of your choosing.

Mike-48

I'd guess there will be an audible difference.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
The physical footprint is too damn small. If I lived an a cardboard refrigerator box I could see wanting something this small, but than again, I'm old.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I used the MiniDSP dual output DSP volume to level match the AHB2 and ATI AT525NC (Hypex NCore) amplifiers and routed them to an A/B switch. Not blind but I was able to detect a bit more clarity in the high-end and separation driving Revel M126Be monitors.
Clearly, this is much more expensive than the SHD integrated.

- Rich

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the SHD + Benchmark AHB2.

Great combo! I am extremely pleased with this in my office/game room.

- Rich

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

kuba-phase

This has four times more power though.
Amirm, I am going to buy this device, but I am wondering about its weakest element, the amplifier itself. I know that if I want to get the best parameters, I would have to buy something like a standalone DAC + Purifi/nCore amp. But my question is: is the Amplifier in miniDSP SHD Power "good enough"? Is this device is audibly transparent or not (without DIRAC, equalization, crossovers etc.) ? I am not going to listen very loudly, for sure it is enough powerful for my needs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It certainly is good enough for almost all home applications, including yours, I'd say.

Mike-48

But my question is: is the Amplifier in miniDSP SHD Power "good enough"?
Something you might ponder is, are you going to remember its published flaws when you listen? Or can you put all that aside and just enjoy the music? The answer to that might help guide your course.

Also, would you benefit in any way from the added flexibility of separates? (Say, by putting preamp near the listening area and amps near tje speakers?)

Finally, have you used miniDSP devices before?Though they represent excellent value, I for one find the interface annoying. If there is any chance you will trade the thing in, under what circumstances would you take the least loss?

Top Bottom