• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD ; Initial Impressions; set up etc

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Interesting! I've yet to dive into the deep, murky MiniDSP-chasm (sold my first MiniDSP because it was too daunting for me back then), but posts like this keep me wanting to give it another shot.

Also; I dig how you just sprinkle commas on top of your writing like you're decorating a birthday cake with chocolate flakes. :D

a-comma-there.jpg

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It, is an art form.

Toltek

We just released Dirac Live 3.3 which is unique as it proposes a target curve that is custom-tailored according to the measurements of the user's listening room... as a result, it's different for each user:
https://www.dirac.com/live/downloads/
Worth noting that it's possible to switch the target curve to one with control points by right-clicking it or by using the small icons in the upper right corner.
Please take into account that you should be able to load a previously saved project without taking new measurements but please be patient... it will take time because of the recalculations.
Once recalculated it will load as fast as usual.
I tried to use my old measurements and it sounds as if channels are out of phase: broad and diffuse image. I confirmed it with old mono jazz trio recording, where Dirac Off produces tight center image and with Dirac on double bass shifts left and becomes very diffuse. With previous filters the image stays in the center, just tonality improves with Dirac on. Similar to what was reported in this post. I use minidsp SHD and Windows 10 laptop.

will rerun the measurements and report back

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
Interesting! I've yet to dive into the deep, murky MiniDSP-chasm (sold my first MiniDSP because it was too daunting for me back then), but posts like this keep me wanting to give it another shot.

Also; I dig how you just sprinkle commas on top of your writing like you're decorating a birthday cake with chocolate flakes. :D

View attachment 199622

Comma on my house...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

One interesting thing, I wanted to share
For each speaker, you use you will need to run a separate dirac live calibration
The curve will vary based on the mains response, you don't need to re calibrate the subs
So the whole process is shorter

I am running Dynaudio Focus 140, as my alternate set of speakers
The Revel M106 being the primary set

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Started using a dual microphone setup with a interface, audio recorded to PC and synced with video recorded on phone

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check if your preamp has a line out. Recording from there yields a much better signal.

Also, that could be the cheesiest music i have heard this year.:p

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Check if your preamp has a line out. Recording from there yields a much better signal.

Also, that could be the cheesiest music i have heard this year.:p
Cheesy but well done :)
I am locked out of volumio, thanks to trying to set up a static ip
The fix involves opening up the SHD, taking out the SD card & formatting it, then reflashing and then reinserting it back
A bit daunting, will see if I am up to it tomorrow

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Cheesy but well done :)
I am locked out of volumio, thanks to trying to set up a static ip
The fix involves opening up the SHD, taking out the SD card & formatting it, then reflashing and then reinserting it back
A bit daunting, will see if I am up to it tomorrow
I contacted the team through the minidsp forum & they supplied a simple solution, using a recovery tool, through a USB drive
Still cant find any volumio plugins

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

After resetting volumio and updating to the latest version, the plugins magically appeared
Installed Spotify and successfully running :)

A big thanks to the minidsp support forum guys, they are very responsive and helpful

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Did a recording using the Dynaudio Focus 140, created a new profile for it, on dirac
Very pleased with the result

edited for correcting link

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Set up a profile for my Focal Aria 906, had a few hiccups, on loading the 8 & 10 db Harman curves had a puzzling drop in bass.
Was losing nearly 10 db gain
Started from scratch,reset the profile and started fresh, measured the subs individually
Set the mains & subs to 75 db
Did a fresh sub alignment in REW using the auto align tool, loaded the delay on to minidsp and eq'ed flat to 120 hz using minidsp
Ran dirac, things were back to normal
Noticed that there was a big dip 20 - 30 hz, which would not support a 10 db harman curve, reduced to 6 db and got a very nice response

Did a recording with this setting " War Pigs", sadly seems to match the present day events

RHO

Major Contributor
Sounds a bit thin to my ears, kind of like… iPad speakers :D:cool:
The lower mids are missing.
Something like a flat curve with a little bass boost instead of a curve sloping down to the high frequencies.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

The lower mids are missing.
Something like a flat curve with a little bass boost instead of a curve sloping down to the high frequencies.
The initial recordings don't have a Harman curve applied, the latter ones do

I noticed phase inversion on applying the 10 dB Harman curve with the focal
I got the best response with a 6 dB curve applied

RHO

Major Contributor
The initial recordings don't have a Harman curve applied, the latter ones do

I noticed phase inversion on applying the 10 dB Harman curve with the focal
I got the best response with a 6 dB curve applied
I listened to all recordings you have posted in this topic and got the same impression from all. The later ones are indeed better, but still they sound a bit bright and lean to me. The sound is missing some "body/weight". (listening trough Hifiman Sundara 2020, PEQ Oratory1990 Harman 2018)
Maybe it's the recording and irl it sounds quite different.

edit: Listening a little louder now. Could be room acoustics too. A lot of reflections from hard surfaces?

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Thanks for the detailed feedback
In the initial recordings
I was using the Shure Mv 88+
Subsequently switched to dual mic setup, with a motu 2 stereo interface, video shot on phone

If you have the time, I have recorded the same songs on different media, mostly vinyl vs cd, on my YouTube channel

Would appreciate feedback, thanks

Plcamp

Can the “usb host” port be used to connect a giant ripped cd library on a usb hard drive?

Top Bottom