• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD confusion

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do any of the level meters in the plug-in work if you play music?

Yes, They all work and they mute when asked. I can increase gain etc too. I've heard that if you have the DIRAC plug-in, it won't work correctly until a DIRAC measurement has been taken first. Then you can switch it off as necessary and do things manually if you prefer.
I might just delete the DIRAC plug-in just to see the result?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I think the best thing to do would be to post back again when I can do another round of measurements.
That way, I can answer questions in real time and provide adequate screenshots etc.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I thought the answer would be simple, clearly not. :)

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Quick update. I re-installed REW and I think a house curve was loaded in previously but I don't recall doing that!
Anyway, here is how it's running now.

2021-07-03 (2).png

Back to normal. I think the house curve has caused me some problems with setting a LF and HF cut off.
I'll post back with an update when I am measuring again.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SHD is virtually brand new and I haven't used any other preset than preset 1.

Have you verified there's a configuration saved on Preset ?

I considered uninstalling REW so I can start afresh. Maybe there is a conflict somewhere from my old settings?

If I'm reading this correctly, MiniDSP implements REW in DIRAC.
Have you run DIRAC? Is DIRAC enabled?

Sorry if I'm pedantic, I'm just trying to be systematic about your problem.

As mentioned above, the MiniDSP support forums likely have someone who has experienced (and hopefully solved) a similar problem.

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/audio-streaming/sub-integration-with-shd

(I just read #24)

deercreekaudio

Dealer
Also, when running REW, I've come across an issue where, when trying to EQ my dual subs, the target will not go flat but instead, follows the curve of the frequency response of my subs instead?

Using REW to fit a target curve for your subs, as you know, first involves measuring the in-room response of the subs. Then when you utilize REW to export the bi-quad filter to the miniDSP PEQ, it exports the inverse of the measured response. So when you look at it on the plug-in display of the PEQ, it will show the inverse of what you measured for the in-room response.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Using REW to fit a target curve for your subs, as you know, first involves measuring the in-room response of the subs. Then when you utilize REW to export the bi-quad filter to the miniDSP PEQ, it exports the inverse of the measured response. So when you look at it on the plug-in display of the PEQ, it will show the inverse of what you measured for the in-room response.

Ah yes, makes perfect sense now!

Thank you for the input! :)

Top Bottom