• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD confusion

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all.

I have recently introduced an SHD into my system which is running a pair of Genelec 8341's
I am familiar with minidsp products having owned a 2x4HD for a number of years which has been running and EQing my dual subs happily and very successfully.

I am now trying to emulate what the 2x4HD did but I'm having issues with implementing a high and low pass filter.
For some reason, the SHD will not affect the change when I apply it.
I downloaded DIRAC live but have not used it at all as the Genelecs have their own GLM software which I'm currently trying to get to grips with (but that's a story for another thread).

Also, when running REW, I've come across an issue where, when trying to EQ my dual subs, the target will not go flat but instead, follows the curve of the frequency response of my subs instead?
I've never seen this before and am confused as to why this would happen?

I have a few more questions but I'll leave it for now.

I hope somebody out there can guide me in the right direction.

Thanks.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would contact MiniDSP's support for the setting that does not seem to work. I would try resetting the device to defaults first just in case.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of the settings have any effect? Did you sync the software to the device?

why buy the SHD anyway if you already have GLM?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am now trying to emulate what the 2x4HD did but I'm having issues with implementing a high and low pass filter.
For some reason, the SHD will not affect the change when I apply it.

I use my MiniDSP SHD studio as a two way crossover for subs and sats.

I'm not familiar with the 2x4 interface, so forgive my ignorance.

It's unclear from your original post if you're programming fresh data into the SHD application or migrating old corrections.

I could not be sure the older application transfers to the new - that's above my paygrade.

The SHD setup in Windows 10 saves a configuration file.
The SHD unit is "flashed" when synching these files, and can save multiple versions as PRESETS, accessible by pressing the rotary encoder.

Turning the dial allows selection of preset configurations.

Section 6.3 in the manual outlines the steps to create a configuration and synch to the unit. Section 8.5 refers (cryptically, to be sure) to our access to these saved configurations.

https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/SHD Series User Manual.pdf

If I'm stating the obvious, I do beg your pardon.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Sorry. I had to go to work. I'll try to get through all the questions.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Hey Sparky - can you share a few screenshots from the SHD app and of the target in REW?

This is what it is doing?

I've never seen this before?

2021-07-03.png

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I would contact MiniDSP's support for the setting that does not seem to work. I would try resetting the device to defaults first just in case.
I'll certainly try that if all else fails!

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Do any of the settings have any effect? Did you sync the software to the device?

why buy the SHD anyway if you already have GLM?

None of the settings seem to work? I definately don't understand why it won't implement a low and high pass filter?

I bought it to act as a source selector, volume control, EQ for my two non genelec subs.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I use my MiniDSP SHD studio as a two way crossover for subs and sats.

I'm not familiar with the 2x4 interface, so forgive my ignorance.

It's unclear from your original post if you're programming fresh data into the SHD application or migrating old corrections.

I could not be sure the older application transfers to the new - that's above my paygrade.

The SHD setup in Windows 10 saves a configuration file.
The SHD unit is "flashed" when synching these files, and can save multiple versions as PRESETS, accessible by pressing the rotary encoder.

Turning the dial allows selection of preset configurations.

Section 6.3 in the manual outlines the steps to create a configuration and synch to the unit. Section 8.5 refers (cryptically, to be sure) to our access to these saved configurations.

https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/SHD Series User Manual.pdf

If I'm stating the obvious, I do beg your pardon.

I intend to use the SHD for the same reasons as you, use as a crossover for my mains and subs and to enable me to EQ my subs as I've done for years on my old 2x4HD.

The SHD is virtually brand new and I haven't used any other preset than preset 1.

I considered uninstalling REW so I can start afresh. Maybe there is a conflict somewhere from my old settings?

I have used a fresh set of measurements (even though my subs haven't moved for a long time) just to be sure everything was still "as is" and the measurements were identical to what they've always been.

No need to apologise, any info is good info!!

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
This is my response "in room" by the way.

2021-07-03 (1).png

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It came free with the SHD. Had no choice really.

It indeed came with the SHD, but for sure it’s not free ;).

Anyway, I guess the plug-in says “connected”? Did you do a “synchronize” or “restore”?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It indeed came with the SHD, but for sure it’s not free ;).

Anyway, I guess the plug-in says “connected”? Did you do a “synchronize” or “restore”?

Hehehe. Yeah! I've paid for it under the guise of it being included. Sneaky!

Yes, plug-in does say "connected". I can't remember but I think I selected "synchronise".
I'm going off memory here though as I haven't got it all connected up right now.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Do any of the level meters in the plug-in work if you play music?

Top Bottom