• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP SHD - but without DAC, streamer, and Dirac…

JRS

Major Contributor
@JRS Directivity starts after 100 cycle. So if your 15’ woofers are crossed below that, I don’t think you need to worry about this. I’m just guessing here btw :)
Exactly, but for a variety of reasons I chose to put the big drivers in woofer modules, bass bins or whatever we want to call them, and the rest in separate cabinets--primarily because I didn't have the resources to build big floor standing towers, and even if I did, I wanted to have the flexibility of changing mids and/or tweeters later on. (Which may have happened Bliesma will be adding to their product line a 3" dome mid range that is billed to be every bit as good as the highly regarded ATC 3" dome. That's really got me chin scratching as a couple of early reviews suggest it is every bit as good if not better, and if you ever read Jeff Bagby's review of the ATC, he didn't mince words--basically that audio doesn't get any better).

Plus even at a higher XO where directivity is an issue, I have a bit more leeway with respect to taming room modalities than If everything was in one big box. What has come up is whether my current placement that puts the midbass and woofers at closer to a 1/2 wavelength than a quarter--so that these is some rippling, and potential DI issues. Essentially when I am back in a house and can set this up, I just need to make a bunch more msmts to see if I have a null there. There's a whole lot going on at 200 to 300 Hz wrt to the midbass losing baffle support, the distance between drivers, floor bounce with the midbass, the 15 is on the floor, it's just not a simple or ideal situation. I don't notice instruments being stretched across the two drivers (24dB slopes), or a null but maybe need to revisit the issue at some point. Aesthetically I prefer what is shown. but could stack the two.

But I have a couple of projects yet to build before I die, and a big line array is one of them. So these questions been kicking around for a while. You read the books and then look at the products and wonder WTF? @abdo123 reminded me that just because it gets done doesn't mean it's best or even good practice.
current setup.png

Top Bottom