• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD as a DAC and preamp? Questions to SHD users

Tagore

All. I have read Amir's review with interest and while there is a solid recommendation for the DAC, the jitter, albeit inaudible, does concern me, perhaps un-necessarily.......... Realise the unit gives Dirac (very interested in this - see below), a streamer (not sure what to make of Volumio as I have read mixed reviews and not used it myself), and a pre-amp, I am wondering:

1. Is the DAC an achilles heel? What would I need to spend to equal / better the performance with a standalone DAC
2. Is the pre-amp on the SHD any good? Guess I could still use analogue out from the SHD into my Rotel preamp if not.
3. Is Volumio practical? Reckon I could manage to use it but not sure how user friendly it would be for wife and kids

Ref Dirac. Local audition of a NAD T758 in 2 channel mode, toggling Dirac on and off was intriguing. On was far more listenable, precise, less resonant, clearer soundstaging, less fatiguing etc I could go on. I am about to try out the trial PC version of Dirac with a UMIK 1 measurement mic on its way to me presently.

My current set up - Spotify from Minix media player / iphone into Bleutooth Receiver - Rotel RC1070 pre - Linkwitz Orion Active Crossover - ATI 6012 power amp - Linkwitz Orion speakers

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wouldn't worry about the jitter. Certainly not worth hooking up another DAC to it.

I have only casually used Volumio. It seems fine but not user friendly for family or such. I would hook it up to a streamer and use better software like Roon.

Olli

Forum Donor
There are also rumors that MiniDSP is going to implement Roon so you can use it as an Endpoint in the (near) future.

Krunok

Major Contributor
3. Is Volumio practical? Reckon I could manage to use it but not sure how user friendly it would be for wife and kids

I've been using Volumio for more than year now. It's very good solution if you have musical files stored on a NAS attached to your home network.
You can use BubbleUPnP app to control Volumio from Android phone/tablet or Linn Kinsky app to control it from iPhone/Android/PC.
You can also use Volumio as Roon endpoint.

With Volumio you can also install BruteFIR convolver plugin so you have room EQ functionality. You can make measurements with REW, export to rePhase and then generate filters to be used with BruteFIR.

Last edited:

LF78

With Volumio you can also install BruteFIR convolver plugin so you have room EQ functionality. You can make measurements with REW, export to rePhase and then generate filters to be used with BruteFIR.

Where do you run Volumio+BruteFIR? It sounds interesting, but I wonder if a Raspberry Pi or similar SBC would be enough powerful.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Where do you run Volumio+BruteFIR? It sounds interesting, but I wonder if a Raspberry Pi or similar SBC would be enough powerful.

I'm running mine on a fanless mini PC but you can run it on Asus Tinkerboard S or Odroid C2 as well.

You can run it on Raspberry Pi as well but don't use USB DAC as it will cause pops during playout due to poor USB port implementation on RPI platform.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All. I have read Amir's review with interest and while there is a solid recommendation for the DAC, the jitter, albeit inaudible, does concern me, perhaps un-necessarily.......... Realise the unit gives Dirac (very interested in this - see below), a streamer (not sure what to make of Volumio as I have read mixed reviews and not used it myself), and a pre-amp, I am wondering:

1. Is the DAC an achilles heel? What would I need to spend to equal / better the performance with a standalone DAC
2. Is the pre-amp on the SHD any good? Guess I could still use analogue out from the SHD into my Rotel preamp if not.

Ref Dirac. Local audition of a NAD T758 in 2 channel mode, toggling Dirac on and off was intriguing. On was far more listenable, precise, less resonant, clearer soundstaging, less fatiguing etc I could go on. I am about to try out the trial PC version of Dirac with a UMIK 1 measurement mic on its way to me presently.

My current set up - Spotify from Minix media player / iphone into Bleutooth Receiver - Rotel RC1070 pre - Linkwitz Orion Active Crossover - ATI 6012 power amp - Linkwitz Orion speakers

I am using the Minidsp SHD. I find it to be really good for my needs.
1-I don't have a ton of experience with DACs but the ones I have compared it to are McIntosh MA7900 and Oppo BDP105. In the FWIW category I think the Minidsp is better.
2-I find the preamp to work very well too. My only complaint would be the volume control. It is in .5db increments and would prefer a smooth feeling knob. But it is fine.
3-I have used Volumio some and it seems to work pretty well. It is a web based gui which at first threw me a little, but it too works fine. I have a sonos hooked up now and use that instead most of the time. I would call the UI functional and it works well but it isn't necessarily pretty if that is important.

Dirac is really good and a huge piece of the SHD. Also it is very flexible in setting up subs/crossovers. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that a minidsp shd with something like a Hypex N400/N500 based amp would be quite a combo.
I also do have an NAD 758 in our home theater and it too works very well. Not sure how it would measure compared to the SHD which measured very well. As always YMMV but I quite like it for my needs.

Krunok

Major Contributor
3-I have used Volumio some and it seems to work pretty well. It is a web based gui which at first threw me a little, but it too works fine. I have a sonos hooked up now and use that instead most of the time. I would call the UI functional and it works well but it isn't necessarily pretty if that is important.

As Volumio is DLNA/UPnP renderer you don't need to use GUI at all with Volumio. On a windows PC, IOS or Android you can use Linn Kinsky app to control Volumio or a BuBbbleUPnP app on Android. Both are free to download.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tagore

I am using the Minidsp SHD. I find it to be really good for my needs.
1-I don't have a ton of experience with DACs but the ones I have compared it to are McIntosh MA7900 and Oppo BDP105. In the FWIW category I think the Minidsp is better.
2-I find the preamp to work very well too. My only complaint would be the volume control. It is in .5db increments and would prefer a smooth feeling knob. But it is fine.

Dirac is really good and a huge piece of the SHD. Also it is very flexible in setting up subs/crossovers. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that a minidsp shd with something like a Hypex N400/N500 based amp would be quite a combo.
I also do have an NAD 758 in our home theater and it too works very well. Not sure how it would measure compared to the SHD which measured very well. As always YMMV but I quite like it for my needs.

Thank you Dj7675. I had managed to maneouvre myself into a position of analysis paralysis ;). Have played with the DIRAC live software trial version and UMIK 1 mic with my main hifi set up (the orions), and while I made do without a mic stand and boom for the measurements (I will redo them shortly having got a stand), the improvements are pretty encouraging (not sure I want to listen without DIRAC in the signal path now...........).
Was deliberating between the full SHD version and the SHD Studio though conclude for an extra 300 bucks the SHD makes far more sense with the DAC being there should I need it, and I can bypass and use digital out should I not. I have also started to play with Volumio running virtually on Windows to get a sense of whether it is viable as a streamer for my and family needs. I can always stream spotify connect via my minix box optical out into the SHD though and reckon this will be more than sufficient for our needs.

Chris3g

Do any of you guys with SHDs have any experience with using Linux-based streamers on the USB port? I am having an issue with mine where any Linux OS device that I connect on USB results in random pops during audio playback (every 60s or so), while connecting a windows device using ASIO driver has no issues.

Minidsp support says they only test windows/ASIO and that the usb interface on the SHD is actually a multichannel device and not a standard USB 2 interface, but they don’t have any further info or explanation.

These are the devices I’ve tried:

Standard pi 3b+ w/ropieeee (this was the worst with pops I assume due to shared usb)
Project audio stream box s2 ultra (pi cm3 based w/Volumio)
Allo USBridge (sparky w/ Dietpi)
Intel Gen 8 NUC i3 running Roon ROCK (unknown Linux)

Anyone have any experience they can share ?

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Which is better in your opinion to run BruteFIR fanless? Is Odroid C2 enough?

I have just completed the setup of a little combo "Odroid C2 + HiFi Shield 2 DAC" testing it with different OS and applications ...
It runs with no trembling the Ubuntu 18.04.2 Bionic Beaver, with Kodi as well.
It gets super fast with Kodi, CoreELEC, Volumio, etc ... freestanding OS.
However, none of these see the HiFi Shield 2 DAC, scripts have to be written to make them interfacing the DAC via ALSA.
DietPi is the only OS with the right ALSA configuration thanks to which the DAC is seen right away.
I am using the combo as UPnP render on a wired network with the music server.
Very happy abt. its overall performance.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I wanted to point out in regards to volumio on the shd is that the volume can't be adjusted from within the app. It has been disabled for some reason. I am using a sonos right now or sometimes I will just use Airplay to stream directly to the SHD. Both of those work well. But not being able to adjust the volume from within volumio is a big issue.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
One thing I wanted to point out in regards to volumio on the shd is that the volume can't be adjusted from within the app. It has been disabled for some reason. I am using a sonos right now or sometimes I will just use Airplay to stream directly to the SHD. Both of those work well. But not being able to adjust the volume from within volumio is a big issue.

I see your point.
That's the reason for which I am not a big fan of Volumio or Kodi or CoreELEC etc ... as freestanding OS.
I rather prefer a light Linux flavor with a RT kernel, which I turn as "my perfect music machine" by means of MPD / Alsa.
I keep all the flexibility of making my tuning / scripts, for the volume : it can be adjusted via alsamixer for example.

D

Deleted member 2944

How many volume controls do you need?
When listening to your SHD system will you not be in the same room with it? If you are then the miniDSP IR remote works perfectly well, in my opinion. Any other source but LAN you will be using the IR control anyways, yes?
I don't miss the lack of Volumio volume control at all.

Dave.

Chris3g

Do any of you guys with SHDs have any experience with using Linux-based streamers on the USB port? I am having an issue with mine where any Linux OS device that I connect on USB results in random pops during audio playback (every 60s or so), while connecting a windows device using ASIO driver has no issues.

Minidsp support says they only test windows/ASIO and that the usb interface on the SHD is actually a multichannel device and not a standard USB 2 interface, but they don’t have any further info or explanation.

These are the devices I’ve tried:

Standard pi 3b+ w/ropieeee (this was the worst with pops I assume due to shared usb)
Project audio stream box s2 ultra (pi cm3 based w/Volumio)
Allo USBridge (sparky w/ Dietpi)
Intel Gen 8 NUC i3 running Roon ROCK (unknown Linux)

Anyone have any experience they can share ?

Today i also tried an SOtM SMS-200 Ultra and not surprisingly, also found the same popping noises.

If anyone with an SHD and a linux-based streamer is willing to do a quick test i would really appreciate it, at this point minidsp support has not really been helpful in determining if this is an issue specific to my unit or a problem with their USB implementation.

I am using a 1khz - 96khz test file found here https://www.audiocheck.net/download...ocheck.net_hdsweep_1Hz_96000Hz_-3dBFS_30s.wav , as most of the sweep is inaudible the pops are immediately and easily noticed.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How many volume controls do you need?
When listening to your SHD system will you not be in the same room with it? If you are then the miniDSP IR remote works perfectly well, in my opinion. Any other source but LAN you will be using the IR control anyways, yes?
I don't miss the lack of Volumio volume control at all.

Dave.

I guess it is the hassle factor. When I use Roon, Sonos, or even Airplay I am used to doing browsing, managing the que and volume all within the app. I would be using the built in Volumio more if that was the case. Probably a non issue for some, but volume control is a built into the UI in Volumio but for some reason has been disabled by Minidsp. I just find it convenient.

Chris3g

Today i also tried an SOtM SMS-200 Ultra and not surprisingly, also found the same popping noises.

If anyone with an SHD and a linux-based streamer is willing to do a quick test i would really appreciate it, at this point minidsp support has not really been helpful in determining if this is an issue specific to my unit or a problem with their USB implementation.

I am using a 1khz - 96khz test file found here https://www.audiocheck.net/download...ocheck.net_hdsweep_1Hz_96000Hz_-3dBFS_30s.wav , as most of the sweep is inaudible the pops are immediately and easily noticed.

Wanted to update this just in case anyone is interested - minidsp support came through with a firmware update that has resolved the issue with Linux devices and the USB input. All good now :)

Top Bottom