• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD as a DAC and preamp? Questions to SHD users

Abe_W

I am assuming you guys are talking about the minidsp SHD unit that retails for 1200 USD?

Does this unit let you disable the digital preamp/volume control on it, such that its balanced analog outs can be sent to a integrated amp (that has no bypass) without any issues?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Minidsp SHD with a HT bypass would be very useful.

Abe_W

Minidsp SHD with a HT bypass would be very useful.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess that ends my hopeful pursuit of the minidsp SHD.

P.S
What are these guys thinking? Everyone oughta get rid of their integrated amps and get a power amp? So annoying...

Vasr

Major Contributor
Thanks for clarifying. I guess that ends my hopeful pursuit of the minidsp SHD.

P.S
What are these guys thinking? Everyone oughta get rid of their integrated amps and get a power amp? So annoying...

I meant HT bypass in a slightly different sense used for a different purpose than your need.

A HT bypass allows the same amp+speakers to be used between a stereo pre-amp and a HT system for it's mains. To do that you would need another set of analog inputs into the SHD that are shorted to the outputs in bypass mode with no DSP or Volume control.

So if you have an AVR with multi-channel pre-out, you would connect the L and R out of the AVR to the above additional inputs.

When you are using the miniDSP SHD for stereo streaming, it would work as a pre-amp with volume control sending it to an external amp. When you are using the AVR for HT, you would set the SHD in HT by-pass mode. The L and R inputs from the AVR would flow into the output and ino the amp connected to the mains speakers without any of the processing in the SHD and the volume would be controlled by the AVR.

So, you leave these units connected and switch between the two uses with a remote sharing the amp and L+R speakers between both.

Abe_W

I meant HT bypass in a slightly different sense used for a different purpose than your need.

A HT bypass allows the same amp+speakers to be used between a stereo pre-amp and a HT system for it's mains. To do that you would need another set of analog inputs into the SHD that are shorted to the outputs in bypass mode with no DSP or Volume control.

So if you have an AVR with multi-channel pre-out, you would connect the L and R out of the AVR to the above additional inputs.

When you are using the miniDSP SHD for stereo streaming, it would work as a pre-amp with volume control sending it to an external amp. When you are using the AVR for HT, you would set the SHD in HT by-pass mode. The L and R inputs from the AVR would flow into the output and ino the amp connected to the mains speakers without any of the processing in the SHD and the volume would be controlled by the AVR.

So, you leave these units connected and switch between the two uses with a remote sharing the amp and L+R speakers between both.

My intent is to set up something in my bedroom for 2.2 stereo music (nothing to do with stereo/HT hybrid systems). I have a no frills Class A integrated amp (no power amp direct in), 2 speakers and 2 subs. I was asking if i could disable the digital preamp/volume control on the minidsp SHD and use the preamp on the integrated amp.

Just trying to get rid of 2 preamps in the chain.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor
My intent is to set up something in my bedroom for 2.2 stereo music (nothing to do with stereo/HT hybrid systems). I have a no frills Class A integrated amp (no power amp direct in), 2 speakers and 2 subs. I was asking if i could disable the digital preamp/volume control on the minidsp SHD and use the preamp on the integrated amp.

It is not unusual in such situations to have one of them set at a fixed setting and use the other for volume control. Happens when DACs with volume control are routed to an integrated or a pre-amp (to switch between multiple sources including analog for example).

In your case, unless your integrated has the cross-over to send to the two subs, you would presumably be connecting the subs to the SHD. In that case, you would want to use the volume control on the SHD to change volume while in use so that it affects both subs and mains. Not the volume control of the integrated which would only affect mains. Think of the volume on the integrated as a gain control on an amp instead, that you set and forget.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just leave the SHD at maximum volume . There is no preamp it’s a digital volume control. (Assuming your integrated amp has bass management, otherwise leave your integrated amp at the maximum level you listen to and use the SHD as crossover and volume control)

Top Bottom