• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

minidsp new headphone dac/amp

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Certainly worth a test.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
30mW of output is not a lot, especially if you have to EQ, which decreases sensitivity.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It outputs as much power as the Apple dongle, and since using DSP/EQ lowers headroom, I would only use IEMs with typical high sensitivity.

I doubt it will have a SINAD of >85dB.

S/N ratio = 120dB and distortion at 1kHz = 0.0007% = -103dB so SINAD probably around 102 ?

The Supported headphone impedance range: 16–600 Ω is a bit suspect as at 600Ω there will be just 2mW
When using the built in DSP it only works/resamples to 48kHz but Up to 10 bands of fully parametric equalization (PEQ) is nice.
It could be used to drive something like the Atom or so.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
S/N ratio = 120dB and distortion at 1kHz = 0.0007% = -103dB so SINAD probably around 102 ?

The Supported headphone impedance range: 16–600 Ω is a bit suspect as at 600Ω there will be just 2mW
When using the built in DSP it only works/resamples to 48kHz but Up to 10 bands of fully parametric equalization (PEQ) is nice.
It could be used to drive something like the Atom or so.
I don’t believe those values were posted back when I made my comment; that’s a pretty good estimated SINAD for the price/features.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
N ratio = 120dB and distortion at 1kHz = 0.0007% = -103dB so SINAD probably around 102 ?
If the $99 IL-DSP does test out with DAC SINAD of 102, that's only 3db less than the 105db of the $90 D10..

And to me, the D10 starts looking like a bulky power-hungry (500ma/5v) dinosaur in comparison.

With it's DSP capability included, could this obsolete any other DAC in the $100 price range, and become the first example of what we will expect going forward in our DACs?

It would seem also that future reviews may need additional focus on distortion measurements - with and without PEQs applied. How much additional IMD is generated when applying PEQs? There is no reason to expect different DSP implementations will all be the same. Just like ESS and AKM, different implementations will need measured, likely with new tests, to get relative figures of merit.

A few days ago I thought I never wanted to see another DAC review. Now I can't wait for this one..

I'm going back to take a look at the es100 review to see if distortion was noted with and w/o EQ applied.. Don't remember that it was...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
And to me, the D10 starts looking like a bulky power-hungry (500ma/5v) dinosaur in comparison.

Not to me. The 5V/0.5A rating does not mean it draws 500mA. It just means it should be connected to a port that can deliver at least 0.5A.
Most USB devices usually draw less than 100mA.

Top Bottom