• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP input vs output PEQ best practices

Bhh

Forum Donor
Is the "best practice" with a miniDSP to basically target a flat FR with the output PEQs and then apply house curves with the input PEQs? I like the idea of separating it in this way so all the effort that goes into flatting out the FR does not have to be redone each time you want to play around with a different house curve but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. It just makes sense to me that all the objective work that takes place flattening the FR is kept separate from the more subjective side of things.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One good strategy (there exist also others) is to EQ first the loudspeaker (with smooth directivity as otherwise it will never sound fully neutral) to a flat listening window response based on anechoic measurements like the ones found here and then measure the FR at your listening position and EQ the region up to 200-1000 Hz (depending on your room) again to a smoother curve following some known target curve, mainly removing peaks from room modes.

QMuse

Major Contributor
It just makes sense to me that all the objective work that takes place flattening the FR is kept separate from the more subjective side of things.

As @thewas_ explained, "flttening" the FR is actually correcting the speaker's anechoic response. Correcting in-room speaker's response is not actually a "subjective" thing as, in ideal case, you should end up with something similar to predicted in-room response (PIR) curve. Keeping those 2 EQ-s separate is a good idea.

Top Bottom