• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP IL-DSP Headphone amplifier

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anyone used this? What kind of headphone specs would you want to see to be sure it would play well with this (i.e., impedance, sensitivity)? I have some IEMs and am looking at some regular headphones and was curious as to whether I could play with EQ with these and still get good sound quality. The plus is that I can also use the mic for Zoom meetings.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/il-dsp-headphone-amp

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Unfortunately this device seems to have issues with incorrect implementation of the EQ filters which can lead to clipping, and bizarrely for a mobile device it has no app so you have to connect it to a PC to make any changes to the EQ, which severely limits its utility. A better portable device with parametric hardware EQ, controllable via an app, optional LDAC Bluetooth connectivity, and much higher output (up to 4V balanced) would be the Qudelix 5K.

OP
HooStat

HooStat

Wow. That device looks great! I just bought an RME ADI DAC, but will get that too and play around with it. It might work great with my IEM for conference calls, and for travel!

A Surfer

Major Contributor
30mW is not adequate for most headphones unless you listen at fairly modest volumes levels, IMO.

samysound

Has anyone used this? What kind of headphone specs would you want to see to be sure it would play well with this (i.e., impedance, sensitivity)? I have some IEMs and am looking at some regular headphones and was curious as to whether I could play with EQ with these and still get good sound quality. The plus is that I can also use the mic for Zoom meetings.

no mic but the more sufficient power output, better processing and nicer DAC
https://www.minidsp.com/products/plate-amplifiers/ha-dsp-headphone-amp
also triple the cost...

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
If the Qudelix does not have enough oomph, as to me seems the case with my (unbalanced) HE400i, I add my NX3s ($70). Not quite as good as my Liquid Spark, but still pocketable. Chain:

LG Rebel TracFone ($29) >OTG USB 3-wire powered cable>Qudelix>NX3s>HE400i

Using Oratory 1990 Harmon PEQ for the HE400i, sounds decent to me. Qudelix app on LG Rebel, simultaneously active to control Qudelix via bt. (No android app for IL-DSP rules it out for me.)

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Unfortunately this device seems to have issues with incorrect implementation of the EQ filters which can lead to clipping,
No pre-gain setting? That would be a bit inconvenient for use on a mobile device in particular. Seems a bit of a silly oversight - hopefully this could be added with a firmware update.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor

I bought one a couple of months ago when I was headphone shopping... I've only used it once, because I settled on the Hd800s which the IL DSP amp can't power. I just need time to list it and it will be up for sale. I have no idea how it would perform with less power hungry headphones or IEMs.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Unfortunately this device seems to have issues with incorrect implementation of the EQ filters which can lead to clipping, and bizarrely for a mobile device it has no app so you have to connect it to a PC to make any changes to the EQ, which severely limits its utility. A better portable device with parametric hardware EQ, controllable via an app, optional LDAC Bluetooth connectivity, and much higher output (up to 4V balanced) would be the Qudelix 5K.
Would you still say this is the best portable option in regards to hardware PEQ?

sunnyboy

Is there any test evidence that EQ problems lead to clipping?

jss

I think the IL-DSP is quite a niche product but it works for me
My use case is (desktop): Mac - iSilencer - IL-DSP - ALO National - HPs
I load diff EQs to IL-DSP when using diff HPs
So far so good and been enjoying the music (and the setup)

Top Bottom