• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp hd2x4, or two minidsp 2x4(non HD) ?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have single hd2x4 and two 2x4 non-hd. All currently not in use. I am thinking about using minidsp for my speakers (not subs) to tame some room modes higher than 200 Hz and also do high pass.

I mainly listen to CD quality music and lower. My Gustard x16 is a balanced DAC.

What combo is potentially better on paper?

Gustard x16 -> minidsp hd2x4 -> single stereo amp

Gustard x16 -> each channel to a single minidsp (non HD) -> each minidsp to a mono amp

Thanks!

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hmm, looking at non HD 2x4, it can only output max of 0.9V.

My amp specs is 1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level.

Since hd2x4 can output 2V, I will go with hd2x4.

Please let me know if you think otherwise.

Thanks!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is an internal jumper in the 2x4 that switches it between 0.9V and 2V. Check out Chapter 4 in the manual.

http://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/miniDSP 2x4 and Kit - User Manual v2.1.pdf

That is input level, not output level. From the manual:

"Note that the input sensitivity jumper setting does not affect the maximum output signal – it is always 0.9 V RMS. Therefore, when the jumper is in the 2.0 V position, the miniDSP (without any other processing enabled) has an approximately 7 dB insertion loss."

Regardless, 2X4HD is the way to go as it has better ADC/DAC performance and more processing power.

How are you integrating your subs and speakers? Reason I ask is the best option performance wise would be to get rid of the Gustard all together and just use the 2X4HD. Although the Gustard has more input options and volume indication which are nice...

Michael

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Michael just confirmed my understanding that the adjustment is only for input of non-hd minidsp. But the output of it can't be adjusted.

I would get the DDRC-22D for room correction, and use the 2*4 for subwoofer integration.

If you would like to maintain the Gustard's performance.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

"Note that the input sensitivity jumper setting does not affect the maximum output signal – it is always 0.9 V RMS. Therefore, when the jumper is in the 2.0 V position, the miniDSP (without any other processing enabled) has an approximately 7 dB insertion loss."

Regardless, 2X4HD is the way to go as it has better ADC/DAC performance and more processing power.

How are you integrating your subs and speakers? Reason I ask is the best option performance wise would be to get rid of the Gustard all together and just use the 2X4HD. Although the Gustard has more input options and volume indication which are nice...

Michael
Thanks for the clarification. I have edited my post accordingly.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

Michael
Both my subs have room eq capability using Paradigm's laptop software and microphone (minimum of 5 locations measurements).

I used REW to match the phase, volume, and crossover point of the subs to the mains.

Right now my speakers are running full range and my subs simply add to the low ends. Gustard RCA to amp to speakers. Gustard XLR to subs.

As is, my setup sounds great. But I am curious if I can get even better sound by taming some of the room modes over 200 hz.

OP
Pdxwayne

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I would get the DDRC-22D for room correction, and use the 2*4 for subwoofer integration.

If you would like to maintain the Gustard's performance.
Thanks for the suggestion! Looks great!

Since I don't need subs room eq (my subs can do room eq using laptop and microphone), I wonder if minidsp hd2x4 will be good enough for my mains if I mostly listening to CD or lower (YouTube) quality music....

I guess I will know soon by listening to music. : )

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the suggestion! Looks great!

Since I don't need subs room eq (my subs can do room eq using laptop and microphone), I wonder if minidsp hd2x4 will be good enough for my mains if I mostly listening to CD or lower (YouTube) quality music....

I guess I will know soon by listening to music. : )

if you don't like to use commercial solutions (Dirac) for EQ and like to tinker with EQ yourself

then the much cheaper OpenDRC-DI is just as good.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/opendrc-di

Top Bottom