• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Harmony 8x12 Car Audio Amplifier - Review and Measurements

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am taking a close look at this for my car. Thanks so much for putting this review out there. I think the challenge with this, and why if flies under the radar, is that there is no analog input. Many/most cars don't provide a digital signal either. And there are not OEM integration units that do, and none that do more than 2 channels (that I could find). In fact, the JL Audio Fix 82 is the only one that I could find (stereo only, so you lose fader functionality) and it is $450. There are some other ways to get a digital signal off of the bus, but they are very vehicle and year specific (and none work in my case).

I also am not sure whether you lose the volume control also when going through the JL Audio Fix 82, which is a bigger issue if you want to continue to use the factory stereo and steering wheel volume control.

But if you don't have these issues, it looks like a real winner.

OP
P
Your right, fixing an OEM system these days is super hard. Either you lose functionality (phone and sat nav integration) or you lose quality. I think the miniDSP is mainly focused on car PC users, hence no analog INs. And for OEM prototyping and and RnD. :)
I have no experience with the JL audio unit…

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What voltage converter could compete with a lead acid car battery?
I always thought that until I read (here somewhere) that a really good power supply could have...less internal resistance I think it was. Depends on the battery and the condition surely.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Thanks for the great review! Only just stumbled across it.

Am considering the Harmony MiniDSP for my new caravan which is due in about 3 months. One for my bedroom area and maybe one for the lounge area. Also thinking Focal Flax for speakers.

Had planned on going Genelec instead, with MiniDSP SHD or Flex as preamps. But have been encouraged to opt for 12v as much as possible, hence exploring the Harmony.

pbc

Thinking of using this in a MOST150 system, need to connect it to a Zen V for OEM integration. Anyone think there would be an issue with that?

Also, I literally am struggling to find someone actually using this in a vehicle, and see no user reviews on MiniDSP's site...which seems quite odd?

Maybe I missed it, but @Philipp Paul Klose did you measure whether it actually outputs 40watts per channel?

OP
P
MOST150 Integration could get quite hard. I do not know if there are tools avail that can convert/extract Most. Also it depends a lot the implementation on OEM side. Many OEMs encrypted the stream, because of the fear of DVD and Blu Ray pirates.

I have seen the amp in several cars. What is your concern here?

I did measure the power: 40Wrms on point into 4R.

WildH

Thinking of using this in a MOST150 system, need to connect it to a Zen V for OEM integration. Anyone think there would be an issue with that?

Also, I literally am struggling to find someone actually using this in a vehicle, and see no user reviews on MiniDSP's site...which seems quite odd?

Maybe I missed it, but @Philipp Paul Klose did you measure whether it actually outputs 40watts per channel?
I'm using it. There are a small handful of others on DIYMA.com that I know of as well. This was a helpful review. If you have questions lmk.... I'll attempt to answer.

I do use the optical in and obtain the signal from a PAC Ampro that pulls it from the factory HU.

I'm still playing with it all, but plan to run a 3 way set up in the front with the mid bass and mid run off an external amp, the tweeter from the harmony 40w, rear speakers from harmony 40w and the subs from a an additional amplifier.

WildH

pbc

I'm using it. There are a small handful of others on DIYMA.com that I know of as well. This was a helpful review. If you have questions lmk.... I'll attempt to answer.

I do use the optical in and obtain the signal from a PAC Ampro that pulls it from the factory HU.

I'm still playing with it all, but plan to run a 3 way set up in the front with the mid bass and mid run off an external amp, the tweeter from the harmony 40w, rear speakers from harmony 40w and the subs from a an additional amplifier.

Thanks. Couple of questions:

- how does it handle center channels? Does it upmix or simply sum?
- the manual seems to imply you can bridge the channels to get 80w but then seems to imply it’s at 2ohm when you do so which I don’t understand? Why would bridging channels impact the ohm?

WildH

Thanks. Couple of questions:

- how does it handle center channels? Does it upmix or simply sum?
- the manual seems to imply you can bridge the channels to get 80w but then seems to imply it’s at 2ohm when you do so which I don’t understand? Why would bridging channels impact the ohm?

Haven't tried a center channel, but 99% it's summing based on how the application is laid out. Fwiw, I wanted to use a cc as well but the sound stage sounded so good without I thought what's the point. Also saved me some money on another speaker.

The 80w on 'bridged' will only be seen on a 2ohm speaker. Otherwise it's going to only do 40w. I don't know how or why it's that way but it is. Must be some internal wizardry to protect the amp. There's a A LOT going on in such a small footprint.

pbc

Haven't tried a center channel, but 99% it's summing based on how the application is laid out. Fwiw, I wanted to use a cc as well but the sound stage sounded so good without I thought what's the point. Also saved me some money on another speaker.

The 80w on 'bridged' will only be seen on a 2ohm speaker. Otherwise it's going to only do 40w. I don't know how or why it's that way but it is. Must be some internal wizardry to protect the amp. There's a A LOT going on in such a small footprint.

Weird, haven't seen an amp work like that before.

What speakers are you running with it?

WildH

I'm running a mix of stuff. Going to try the following

Front
CDT es1200is tweeter
Stereo Integrity M3 Carbon
CDT ES 6x9 Bass Enhanced 2 ohm

Rear
Infinity Reference 3.5
InfinityReference 3 way coax 6x9

Subs
Stereo Integrity BM12mkV.

pbc

I'm running a mix of stuff. Going to try the following

Front
CDT es1200is tweeter
Stereo Integrity M3 Carbon
CDT ES 6x9 Bass Enhanced 2 ohm

Rear
Infinity Reference 3.5
InfinityReference 3 way coax 6x9

Subs
Stereo Integrity BM12mkV.

Strangely, I was curious in particular about my SI M3's as they are only 86db or so sensitivity, so was wondering how they'd do with "only" 40 watts so it's funny that you're going to try those. I'm running all SI, M25 MKII, M3, TM8's that I picked up off the incredible Black Friday sale in a 2020 911.

Debating whether to put in a SI BM11 in the back since it looks like a perfect shallow sub, but not sure whether I'll add a box.

Is it possible to connect to the Harmony via a phone app to switch DSP profiles, or only the remote?

WildH

Strangely, I was curious in particular about my SI M3's as they are only 86db or so sensitivity, so was wondering how they'd do with "only" 40 watts so it's funny that you're going to try those. I'm running all SI, M25 MKII, M3, TM8's that I picked up off the incredible Black Friday sale in a 2020 911.

Debating whether to put in a SI BM11 in the back since it looks like a perfect shallow sub, but not sure whether I'll add a box.

Is it possible to connect to the Harmony via a phone app to switch DSP profiles, or only the remote?
I am currently running CDT unity 8s which actually have a lower sensitivity and 40w was just enough. Not a lot of room though. 70 from the Sony GS4 has been a lot better. I have no need to go louder.

I'll have the GS4 powering the 6x9s and SI M3s. Harmony powering tweeters.

No app for switching. Just remote but honestly it's super easy. It'd be harder to open an app and switch than just using the remote.

pbc

I am currently running CDT unity 8s which actually have a lower sensitivity and 40w was just enough. Not a lot of room though. 70 from the Sony GS4 has been a lot better. I have no need to go louder.

I'll have the GS4 powering the 6x9s and SI M3s. Harmony powering tweeters.

No app for switching. Just remote but honestly it's super easy. It'd be harder to open an app and switch than just using the remote.
Issue with the remote is more around where to mount it and still have an OEM look to the car. I really like the rotary controllers for the Helix/Match Up and the Audison offerings. Look like they'd be much more simple to build into the interior.

Top Bottom