• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Eddy

Should be so. I had cables made to these specifications to connect my subwoofer. A subwoofer is an unbalanced power amp including speakers, if you will.

Eddy

When you buy the flex with Dirac the license is burned into the device, so you don't need to do anything again in the future related to licensing. Thats how I bought mine.
But you can also buy the Flex w/o Dirac (might be better due to tax reasons if you import it) and upgrade it afterwards. No problem.

Piere

It's a bit tricky. The MiniDSP document is the correct way! On the Output Jack both "+" (Tip) and "-" (Ring) are hard driven by an opamp. Normally a balanced output is floating and should you connect "Ring" to GND. But in this case NOT. Keep Ring not connected. Otherwise you will short the opamp output to GND.

On the Input side both "+" (Tip) and "-" (Ring) are input. To avoid excessive noise you must NOT left Ring floating and connect it to GND. So Output leads and Input leads are not interchangeable. I myself connect Ring to GND through a 330 ohm resistor. It's sufficient low to avoid excessive noise as input. But used as an output lead it does not short the opamp.

MCH

Major Contributor
You can do it via usb with a raspberry pi. No need to mess with the insides of the flex

Eddy

Die digital version of the flex has optical and electrical SPDIF outputs but no i2s. I do not see a simple, or any, way to output i2s.
I do not think that e.g. something like Dirac DRC is anything messing. (quote: "No need to mess with the insides of the flex)
I do not think that the DAC of the flex needs to be replaced by another DAC. But other may have other opinions.

Milen007

Minidsp 2x4HD can be mod to output i2s if i am not mistaken. Thats why i am asking

I prefer one with volume control thats why flex

MCH

Major Contributor
Die digital version of the flex has optical and electrical SPDIF outputs but no i2s. I do not see a simple, or any, way to output i2s.
I do not think that e.g. something like Dirac DRC is anything messing. (quote: "No need to mess with the insides of the flex)
See the message next to yours. Some people would extract i2s from the pcb of the 2x4 hd, this is what i thought millen007 intended to do and seems that this is what he was thinking about.

Piere

You can do it via usb with a raspberry pi. No need to mess with the insides of the flex

You can route the 4 outputs to whatever PC/Mac/Penguin you want through USB. You can do this with the 4x HD as well. But how do you steer it to another DAC? You will need something like a DAW for it then. A rather cumbersome way me think. If you want I2S take the 4x HD. And if you want to do it with the Flex it will for sure be possible. But you need sufficient electronic skills to find your own way.

MCH

Major Contributor
You can route the 4 outputs to whatever PC/Mac/Penguin you want through USB. You can do this with the 4x HD as well. But how do you steer it to another DAC? You will need something like a DAW for it then. A rather cumbersome way me think. If you want I2S take the 4x HD. And if you want to do it with the Flex it will for sure be possible. But you need sufficient electronic skills to find your own way.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...g-dm7-8-channel-dac-review.35661/post-1250444

Curwen

After receiving the balanced version of the Flex I've received conflicting information regarding TRS to RCA cables. I've created a post here for anyone who's interested or is able to offer some help.

Keened

Forum Donor
Is there a way to set the compressor to a negative slope manually? I need some way to force my subwoofers to stay turned on during the lower signals inputs.

Top Bottom