• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Sluraad

These are issues that no correction system will be able to fix without proper sub placement. And in a lot of environments (especially with multiple subs) this will require the use of REW and the sub crawl method. You use whatever tools you need (sub controls, minidsp hanging off an AVR, etc.) to get you to a point where room correction will be successful. The more issues that you are asking correction to deal with the more likely it won't be able too and you will get a less than stellar result.
While optimizing results with sub placement can help, I would argue you can achieve greater results by tuning delay and Good EQ (not XT32) is able to achieve dramatically greater results. If you have a minidsp and multiple subs, you really should try out MultiSubOptimizer to see the kind of results you can get with an actually good system.

Smitty2k1

That's why most don't bother and have separate 2.x systems. I have a separate 2.2 system along side my HT setup. I'm sharing the front L/R speakers and subs between the two systems and that is it. The AVR (and TV) is off when music is being played.

X32 does full bass management. The Flex doesn't so I would say X32 wins here.
Thanks - what do you use as a switch between your two systems? Does each system also have separate amplification?

glc650

Thanks - what do you use as a switch between your two systems? Does each system also have separate amplification?
For music only I have two amp choices - a tube amp or the solid state amp. For TV/movies I only use the solid state amp. I use a Topping Pre90 to select the amp on the line level side and one of these:

to select the amp on the speaker level side.

My AVR's L/R front pre-out is attached to the Pre90's RCA input. My Topping D90SE DAC is attached to the Pre90's XLR input.

I have two sets of cable runs to each of my front subs - one for the AVR for TV/movies and one for the Pre90 for music only via either amp. The Pre90 is connected to the tube amp via RCA while the solid state amp is connected via XLR.

This setup allows me to listen to music on the solid state amp via AVR while the TV is on or I can listen to music (via either amp) on the dedicated system with the AVR off. I use a Topping U90 to split the USB output from my iFi Zen Stream - coax 1 to AVR and coax 2 (for MQA) and I2S (for non-MQA Hi Res) to the D90SE. The L/R front speakers and subs are shared - only difference between music only and TV is the additional cable runs to the subs. My 3rd sub is off when the AVR is off.

Last edited:

aikofan

I applied a PEQ where I manually added boosts of up to 6 dB in 4 different places between 58 and 200 Hz. Should I lower the input level sliders below 0 dB to prevent clipping? I was spot checking the levels while playing music and I saw some momentary peaks at -3 dBFs.

Also, is this the right thread to share REW measurement graphs before/after EQ and ask for opinions or is there a more appropriate thread?

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi guys,
How does it work when you buy an used flex with dirac license?
What do you need from the seller and what do you need to follow up with minidsp or dirac if anything?
Thanks!

Sluraad

Hi guys,
How does it work when you buy an used flex with dirac license?
What do you need from the seller and what do you need to follow up with minidsp or dirac if anything?
Thanks!
When you buy the flex with Dirac the license is burned into the device, so you don't need to do anything again in the future related to licensing. Thats how I bought mine.

Manojrc

Couldn't read the entire thread , but can someone please tell me the difference between Flex and SHD Studio? I already have RME Dac. Understand that SHD studio is Digital out only, but if I buy Flex with Analog out, probably, I could replace RME with it. But I'm little confused. Which will offer better SQ? Studio with RME combo or Flex ( Analog Out ) or Flex Digital out with RME? Thanks

tvih

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I've heard the 2x4 HD can have problems with sharp high-Q filters, resulting in some "wonkiness". Given the Flex apparently uses the same CPU, is this also true with it? REW can apply some pretty darn high Q values in the bass region in my disaster of a listening room.

As it turns out I've taken the Flex into consideration after all... assuming it reaches the domestic retailers at no more than 600€ without Dirac.

Hi @glc650 ,
Great idea to use the Pre90 as a switch box as the Flex doesn’t have ht bypass feature. I use a high quality passive xlr switch box, but it doesn’t have remote control.
Does the pre90 have remote control?
Do you use the pre 90 with fixed gain input? (I assume you use flex’s volume control)
Does it improve the sound quality? I have heard that it makes miracles! (Even if it creates another point in the signal chain)
Thanks

Last edited:

TreveK

1) I power down all of my audio equipment every night (not stand-by). When I turn on the power, the Flex has remembered my last input and preset (according to the display), but I don't get any sound until I manually select the desired preset on the remote. This does not happen when switching in and out of stand-by.
Is anyone else experiencing this issue after powering-up? Thanks!

kenshone

As someone who wants Dirac, I'm debating between this and one of the Dirac Live capable receivers (Onkyo/Pioneer) that released recently for $999-1099. I think the Flex's price increase over a DDRC-24 is worth the better DAC and physical controls.

The receiver really simplifies things though. Just eARC and go.

The miniDSP Flex supports Dirac Stereo. The receivers you're mentioning probably support Dirac Multichannel.

Wikedlok

That's why most don't bother and have separate 2.x systems. I have a separate 2.2 system along side my HT setup. I'm sharing the front L/R speakers and subs between the two systems and that is it. The AVR (and TV) is off when music is being played.

X32 does full bass management. The Flex doesn't so I would say X32 wins here.
My flex digi is arriving in a few days, and I too have such a setup: avr and streamer sharing the mains and two subs.

Regarding subs for avr: avr preouts to flex, one preset using subs only in mono( while music setup is 2.2,stereo subs, as I had them up to now - lfe in from avr, neutrik from stereo amp).

For avr, intend to set subs to flat response, and let audyssey xt32 do DEQ afterwards.
How should I do the tweaking and setup, as obviously I want to set gains on subs and never touch anything again. Also, I run them in ~70 degrees phase, as that got me the best, or the least worse, response. That should go to 0 before I start?
Initially, I would go with mini dsp plugin and go for dirac only if I find it too much for me or it really is that much better.

glc650

My flex digi is arriving in a few days, and I too have such a setup: avr and streamer sharing the mains and two subs.

Regarding subs for avr: avr preouts to flex, one preset using subs only in mono( while music setup is 2.2,stereo subs, as I had them up to now - lfe in from avr, neutrik from stereo amp).

For avr, intend to set subs to flat response, and let audyssey xt32 do DEQ afterwards.
How should I do the tweaking and setup, as obviously I want to set gains on subs and never touch anything again. Also, I run them in ~70 degrees phase, as that got me the best, or the least worse, response. That should go to 0 before I start?
Initially, I would go with mini dsp plugin and go for dirac only if I find it too much for me or it really is that much better.
I setup the HT part first (so subs were set to whatever they need to be for best Audyssey results - after that they aren't touched again). I don't have a Flex. I use Roon so opted for HAF filters instead. I collected the measurements using the HAF app (without changing anything on the subs) and then had HAF create the filters and imported those into Roon. Same idea would apply though if using Flex instead of Roon/HAF filters (you can even have HAF create the filters instead of creating them on your own using REW or Dirac).

Sluraad

If you are only doing this for subs you should have gotten a minidsp 2x4HD. The flex is a better overall unit, but the benefits are kind of lost on just subwoofer control.
If you want the best subwoofer control you want a single sub out from your AVR into a miniDSP, and then use multisuboptimizer to get incredible frequency response that is incredibly even across your room. Dirac not necessary.
The flex digi is for sitting higher up in a stereo chain for processing signals before they go to an AVR, there is no digital per channel preout on any AVR I know of.

Wikedlok

If you are only doing this for subs you should have gotten a minidsp 2x4HD. The flex is a better overall unit, but the benefits are kind of lost on just subwoofer control.
If you want the best subwoofer control you want a single sub out from your AVR into a miniDSP, and then use multisuboptimizer to get incredible frequency response that is incredibly even across your room. Dirac not necessary.
The flex digi is for sitting higher up in a stereo chain for processing signals before they go to an AVR, there is no digital per channel preout on any AVR I know of.
Not just for subs, the main use is for 2.2 system, to have xovers for mains, but those subs are shared with avr, so will have one preset for analogue in. Would like to eq them with flex, and then run audyssey. Avr has 2 independent sub outs, marantz SR6014.

Wikedlok

Omitted that music setup consists of Node, to flex, to Topping e50 for mains and e30 for subs, so has no connection to avr except of shared speakers (over amp switch) and subs that use flex as a switch. Nothing too crazy, but pretty decent even without dsp. The bug, though...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys, I noticed that in the changelog of the latest frimware version included this

-Remove BlueTooth Autoconnect feature

Is this removing this from few frimwares before?

-Adding new feature of autosource selection to BlueTooth when Bluetooth source is paired and play button started on BT source.

I really like this feature and i rather that i don't update if i'm going to lose it.

MCH

Major Contributor
Finally the awaited price decrease at audiophonics.
650 eur unbalanced 750 balanced.
Pretty good vs minidsp direct with the dollar almost 1:1

tiramisu

Is there anything in the Flex in terms of sound quality that can't be achieved with the 2x4hd?
I don't have a need for the screen on the device.

Top Bottom