• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Geronimo.USMC

Just picked mine up. Yes, they send you a shipping notice. In my experience it will probably be DHL.

BearWant

I am reposting this here, as I had posted in the amplification section and may be a better fit here. Tonycollinet already provided some great feedback, so thank you for that!

I am trying to move forward in the most cost-effective way, but am willing to spend a buck if it's warranted. Basically, I think my Emotiva DC-1 which is preforming preamp/DAC duties has developed some problems. At first I was suspecting my amplifiers, as they are older, but I believe I have traced it back to this unit. If my subsitute does not fix this, then my amplifiers are next on the chopping block.

At present, my sources are a windows PC using USB and Opt out from my TV. All my content is digital so we are talking Spotify, TIdal, Netflix, etc. either fed by said TV or PC. I have two amplifiers a commercial preamp in the Ashly ftx 2000, which powers JBL 590s. The other amplifier is a vintage Pioneer sa-9800 feeding JBL 530s for when I am sitting at my computer desk. Based on no measurements whatsoever the room does not seem completely awful, but since it's a small apartment, placement of the JBL 590s is less than ideal being only a few feet apart. Despite this, I have been wondering if I might get some nice gains from DSP. The miniDSP Flex would allow me to replace the Emotiva and implement this solution. At present, I have no subwoofer, but that it is something that I would be considering in the future.

My thought is to purchase the Balanced miniDSP flex and use it as a preamp, dac, and for it's dirac capabilities on each of these stereo setups. In the future if I would get a subwoofer, and my Pioneer is still functioning, I was thinking I could power both the sets of speakers using the Pioneer. The Pioneer has Speaker A and B switch, so this would free up channels 3 & 4 on the Flex. I could then put the added sub on Channel 3. It is my understanding since the Flex will store dirac profiles I can just have different profiles depending on whether I am using the 590 floorstanders, or am at my computer desk using the JBL 530.

What am I overlooking? I have never tried to integrate a subwoofer before, so I have no knowledge of this. I would also be trying to use the sub to do dual duty for both listening scenarios. They are close together in the same room, but maybe this is a fools errand. At present there are probably only two locations I could put the sub, so if they are not ideal I am kind of stuck. Also, from my limited understanding doing what I have described will not allow for low and high-pass crossover implementation. What is the cost of this? Is that poor implementation, as I will still be pushing the full signal to both the JBLs and the potential sub of the future? Please excuse my ignorance. Any advice would be valued. Thanks so much.

8bits

In regards to auto turn on and off, the best way in my opinion is to use a smart power board that talks to Home Assistant (software automation).
I have a Volumio (raspberry pi) that is always on a different outlet as the power board, and when Volumio is not idle, it will tell Home Assistant, which I automated to turn on the power board, so it turns on my amp, flex, and sub.

I could have used the Raspberry Pi GPIO to trigger the amp/sub, but then the flex would be left out or always on, so this is definitely better, but requires more software and config. which I am fine with it.
Can anyone tell me if the flex will automatically come out of standby or do any auto input switching when it senses a signal on one of its inputs?

Considering using the digital i/o version as a preamp/volume control for a dual Neumann 310/750 setup.

artishard116

In regards to auto turn on and off, the best way in my opinion is to use a smart power board that talks to Home Assistant (software automation).
I have a Volumio (raspberry pi) that is always on a different outlet as the power board, and when Volumio is not idle, it will tell Home Assistant, which I automated to turn on the power board, so it turns on my amp, flex, and sub.

I could have used the Raspberry Pi GPIO to trigger the amp/sub, but then the flex would be left out or always on, so this is definitely better, but requires more software and config. which I am fine with it.
Sounds like a good solution. I've experimented with a few options in my current setup including a power strip with a master outlet that turns on the others when the preamp/streamer turns on. Also tried one of my subs as the master which has an auto wake function. Most reliable/current solution is using a 5v trigger switch in front of the power strip that is turned on by the streamer's usb port when it wakes up. I can start streaming music either from my phone or alexa, and the streamer, two monitors, and two subs all click on and start playing immediately. Could go on about this subject at length but don't want to derail this thread. Happy to continue over pm if anyone has input/questions.

adamcstephens

Most reliable/current solution is using a 5v trigger switch in front of the power strip that is turned on by the streamer's usb port when it wakes up.
Care to share what hardware you're using?

I currently have a zwave power strip, but the zwave controller is elsewhere and I'm looking at different ways to shrink the failure domain of the stereo automation.

TreveK

Yes you do. Unless the input is Bluetooth - in which case it will randomly switch to bluetooth while you are listening to something else if a device makes a connection - or remakes a connection. The only solution to this seems to be to disable the flex BT connection on your devices.

The flex is a great device - but this particular aspect of it is a huge fail.
Got around to setting up my Flex with Dirac this week. So far, so good. It sounds dramatically better than my old 2x4 with manual eq/filter settings. Soundstage is improved, I can pick out & follow individual instruments better and I have reduced some bass nulls.

However, this Bluetooth auto-switching "feature" is driving me crazy! I can be listening to a record on my turntable and someone will message me on WhatsApp. The Flex will automatically switch from Analog input to Bluetooth. Aarrgghh! Happens all the time. None of the other inputs are auto sensing / switching, so why Bluetooth? I'm going to have to unpair my mobile phone until this is fixed. Which is a shame, because I like listening to music on YouTube every now and again.

A couple of other annoyances....

1) I power down all of my audio equipment every night (not stand-by). When I turn on the power, the Flex has remembered my last input and preset (according to the display), but I don't get any sound until I manually select the desired preset on the remote. This does not happen when switching in and out of stand-by.

2) Not sure I like the display going completely blank after 1 minute or so. Wish this feature was optional.

Apart from these 3 niggles, it's great!

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Got around to setting up my Flex with Dirac this week. So far, so good. It sounds dramatically better than my old 2x4 with manual eq/filter settings. Soundstage is improved, I can pick out & follow individual instruments better and I have reduced some bass nulls.

However, this Bluetooth auto-switching "feature" is driving me crazy! I can be listening to a record on my turntable and someone will message me on WhatsApp. The Flex will automatically switch from Analog input to Bluetooth. Aarrgghh! Happens all the time. None of the other inputs are auto sensing / switching, so why Bluetooth? I'm going to have to unpair my mobile phone until this is fixed. Which is a shame, because I like listening to music on YouTube every now and again.

A couple of other annoyances....

1) I power down all of my audio equipment every night (not stand-by). When I turn on the power, the Flex has remembered my last input and preset (according to the display), but I don't get any sound until I manually select the desired preset on the remote. This does not happen when switching in and out of stand-by.

2) Not sure I like the display going completely blank after 1 minute or so. Wish this feature was optional.

Apart from these 3 niggles, it's great!
Yes, I've resorted to re-pairing my phone everytime I want to use the bluetooth.

If you want to give some feedback, here is a good place:

Last edited:

TreveK

Yes, I've resorted to re-pairing my phone everytime I want to use the bluetooth.

If you want to give some feedback, here is a good place:
I've just posted there - thanks for the suggestion.

Smitty2k1

Has anyone considered integrating a Minidsp Flex into their surround sound system for 2 channel listening?

I've got a 2.1 system running through a Marantz AVR with a mediocre DAC and basic Audyssey. Also have a nice Ncore external amplifier for my fronts.

If I connect the MiniDSP Flex in line between the AVR pre out and amplifier I could just run the AVR in direct mode to allow me to do HDMI switching etc. The MiniDSP could take care of room correction and bass management for the fronts and subs.

However, I want to add a center channel. If I do this the center would be powered by the AVR (2 channel external amp and the AVR only has pre-out for the front LR). I suppose I could use Audyssey room correction for multi channel sources (movies) and I could run the AVR in direct mode and enable room correction on the MiniDSP for 2 channel audio (streamer and turntable). In both cases the MiniDSP would have to handle bass management, and I don't know if that will be a problem when trying to run Audyssey.

Is there a better way to do this? Seems difficult to circumvent mediocre AVR performance in a combined multichannel/stereo system. Perhaps I scratch the idea of a Minidsp Flex altogether and just bite the bullet on a Denon X3700H or X3600H and accept less than perfect DAC performance. The Audyssey XT32 is probably pretty close to the performance of MiniDSP room correction.

Astojab

I am thinking about get one dierect from the site. So far are there any reports about faulty devices or other problems?

shilent

I received my Flex digital a few days ago and so far enjoying it.

The Bluetooth auto switching is a little annoying for me too. I just turn off "media" instead of unpairing when I'm done.

I can't remember if it was this thread or the review thread and I can't find that post anymore, but someone mentioned when switching presets, Dirac turns off even though it's displaying as on. Dirac must then be toggled off then on to get it working.

The same is happening with me. Was this fixed with a firmware update? My firmware says 1.24 but the latest online is 1.23 if I remember correctly.

TreveK

I received my Flex digital a few days ago and so far enjoying it.

The Bluetooth auto switching is a little annoying for me too. I just turn off "media" instead of unpairing when I'm done.

I can't remember if it was this thread or the review thread and I can't find that post anymore, but someone mentioned when switching presets, Dirac turns off even though it's displaying as on. Dirac must then be toggled off then on to get it working.

The same is happening with me. Was this fixed with a firmware update? My firmware says 1.24 but the latest online is 1.23 if I remember correctly.
I don't have to toggle on/off when switching presets. Just goes quiet for a second or two when loading the new preset. I honestly don't know which firmware I'm running. I received my Flex 10 days ago.

glc650

Seems difficult to circumvent mediocre AVR performance in a combined multichannel/stereo system.
That's why most don't bother and have separate 2.x systems. I have a separate 2.2 system along side my HT setup. I'm sharing the front L/R speakers and subs between the two systems and that is it. The AVR (and TV) is off when music is being played.

The Audyssey XT32 is probably pretty close to the performance of MiniDSP room correction.
X32 does full bass management. The Flex doesn't so I would say X32 wins here.

Sluraad

That's why most don't bother and have separate 2.x systems. I have a separate 2.2 system along side my HT setup. I'm sharing the front L/R speakers and subs between the two systems and that is it. The AVR (and TV) is off when music is being played.

X32 does full bass management. The Flex doesn't so I would say X32 wins here.
If you've compared the "bass management" performance of XT32 vs MiniDSP (even without plain Dirac on top) I don't think you would be saying the Flex is the loser.
It's not automatic, but the control and quality level is orders of magnitude higher, Audyssey is extremely basic. Many people pick up a minidsp to greatly improve the quality of bass from Audyssey XT32 systems.

MCH

Major Contributor
Audiophonics is offering the digital version now. 800eur. Seems that they are sticking to the 800/900 eur price point for the moment...

glc650

If you've compared the "bass management" performance of XT32 vs MiniDSP (even without plain Dirac on top) I don't think you would be saying the Flex is the loser.
It's not automatic, but the control and quality level is orders of magnitude higher, Audyssey is extremely basic. Many people pick up a minidsp to greatly improve the quality of bass from Audyssey XT32 systems.
When there are multiple subs (and especially more than two), yes. But you do realize people aren't using the flex for that right? And the AVR is still using Audyssey to correct the bass. Only difference to the AVR is it just sees one sub (the minidsp) on it's output even though there are multiple attached to the minidsp. That said I got three subs in my HT and was able to get them all to play nicely together without a minidsp so that is what I did and Audyssey did a great job correcting their bass. And there is nothing basic about XT32. You are confusing it with the non-XT32 flavors of Audyssey which actually are very basic. XT32 provides some of the best bass management (maybe only bested by full Dirac Live?) you can get on an AVR.

All of this is beside the point anyway since the user I initially replied to was thinking about getting an XT32-based AVR (for stereo and multi-channel and for a big step up in correction) or trying to use a Flex for 2.x with an existing AVR. The best option here is to build out a dedicated 2.x system (and use the Flex or any other desired separates) or just use the AVR for double duty and live with it's ADC/DAC performance when listening to music. What you are referring to is people using the 2x4 models in addition to an AVR to get a jump on multisub integration before Audyssey is even run.

Last edited:

Sluraad

When there are multiple subs (and especially more than two), yes. But you do realize people aren't using the flex for that right? And the AVR is still using Audyssey to correct the bass. Only difference to the AVR is it just sees one sub (the minidsp) on it's output even though there are multiple attached to the minidsp. That said I got three subs in my HT and was able to get them all to play nicely together without a minidsp so that is what I did and Audyssey did a great job correcting their bass. And there is nothing basic about XT32. You are confusing it with the non-XT32 flavors of Audyssey which actually are very basic. XT32 provides some of the best bass management (maybe only bested by full Dirac Live?) you can get on an AVR.

All of this is beside the point anyway since the user I initially replied to was thinking about getting an XT32-based AVR (for stereo and multi-channel and for a big step up in correction) or trying to use a Flex for 2.x with an existing AVR. The best option here is to build out a dedicated 2.x system (and use the Flex or any other desired separates) or just use the AVR for double duty and live with it's ADC/DAC performance when listening to music. What you are referring to is people using the 2x4 models in addition to an AVR to get a jump on multisub integration before Audyssey is even run.
I have a Denon X3700h which has the latest XT32, so I know XT32s "bass management". I'm using a 2x4HD on my two subs to feed a single virtual sub to Audyssey. I'm also using a Flex on my desktop 2.1 setup and using its EQ and delay features to get everything integrated properly. So I'm extremely familiar with the capabilities of all of these components.

Audyssey does little more than volume match, a super simplistic time alignment, and doing a little bit to reduce overly large peaks. It doesn't do any optimization of delay between the subs to reduce nulls or even out the frequency response, which is a HUGE strike against it. The improvements in how even it makes the bass frequency response are very lacking and the only benefit its actually good at is volume matching and that it is automatic.

Regarding the Flex's best fit, no, I agree it would be overkill if it were *just* for bass control, a 2x4HD has plenty high enough quality to handle that and the Flex is just significantly more expensive. For a 2.1 or 2.2 setup though, its really incredible to have the excellent capability of Dirac and the superior bass control of a miniDSP.
I've contemplated buying an unbalanced Flex w/Dirac for my HT for the LR and get the improved EQ benefits over Audyssey. However, my room is large and suboptimal enough and the cost of a Flex w/Dirac is high enough that I've shelved that as just a curiosity. The benefits would not be super significant due to the room, even though I could even out the FR quite a bit more than what Audyssey is doing.
As soon as there is a high quality Dirac AVR/AVP that handles the latest and greatest Dirac versions and is under 4k I'll probably switch out my Denon with little reservations.

glc650

Audyssey does little more than volume match, a super simplistic time alignment, and doing a little bit to reduce overly large peaks. It doesn't do any optimization of delay between the subs to reduce nulls or even out the frequency response, which is a HUGE strike against it. The improvements in how even it makes the bass frequency response are very lacking and the only benefit its actually good at is volume matching and that it is automatic.
These are issues that no correction system will be able to fix without proper sub placement. And in a lot of environments (especially with multiple subs) this will require the use of REW and the sub crawl method. You use whatever tools you need (sub controls, minidsp hanging off an AVR, etc.) to get you to a point where room correction will be successful. The more issues that you are asking correction to deal with the more likely it won't be able too and you will get a less than stellar result.

Last edited:
Top Bottom