• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Martyreasoner

@all: Thanks for your comments!:)
Just to clear up the confusion around my chain: Currently the miniDSP DDRC-24 is analog tied in between the preamp and power amp. Volume control and source selection is via my preamp.
The HPA is connected via rec out of the preamp with a fixed level.
My first attempts to replace the preamp with the DDRC-24 failed miserably, as I could not detect level or source.
In addition, it is unusual for me to control the volume for the HPA via the minidsp without a screen.
I expect much more comfort from the miniDSP Flex.

Another consideration is to buy a separate DAC for the headphones and use the HPA separately only for the streamer.

Do you think I will have any sonic losses if I replace the elaborately designed nuControl with such a "little digital box"? My gut feeling still resists a little against this step.:eek:
I would not buy the separate dac. Your initial plan is quite sensible. My guess is that the flex performs similiarily to the shd, but you could wait for review.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@anotherhobby

by the way i had your issue with the frimware update and all i had to do was restart my PC with the MiniDSP plugged in.
I’ll have to give that a shot also. miniDSP responded to me last night and gave me some tips to try on the running firmware update. They also said they found and fixed the Dirac bug where it turns off when you switch presets, and they gave me a download link to test out the update. I’ll try out both later today.

Astojab

Can any of the ones own the flex tell me how good the remote is. I currently use a Topping e50 and the worst part about it is the remote, which you have to aim pretty much excatly at the DAC, is it similar with the Flex or is more lenient?

dkinric

To answer your question, I tried aiming the remote at a 45 degree angle off direct from about 10 ft away, as well as bouncing off a back wall about 10 ft away and it registered everytime. So, in my experience, it's one of the remotes with the best range and angle forgiveness I have.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
I can confirm that miniDSP has a fix that works for the Dirac switching issue, where when you switch presets Dirac turns off but the unit acts like it's on. They sent me a custom file to test and it works great — Dirac stays on and successfully switches configs when you switch presets. This makes A/B testing different calibrations much easier!

Unfortunately, I still can't get the firmware to update. I'm using the supplied USB cable from miniDSP plugged directly into the Mac. I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 15" running Catalina and a 2019 MacBook Pro 16" running Monterey, and I get the same exact failure on both.

Astojab

To answer your question, I tried aiming the remote at a 45 degree angle off direct from about 10 ft away, as well as bouncing off a back wall about 10 ft away and it registered everytime. So, in my experience, it's one of the remotes with the best range and angle forgiveness I have.
Thank you for answering. It sounds like the flex is the perfect solution for me.

Sean Ku

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but my experience may be of interest to other people who want to order a Flex directly from MiniDSP.
This morning, I got a phone call from DHL following up from the electronic message I sent them. The patient woman explained to me that they need to have the number (because of the tariffs). My options were to provide a number, ask DHL to turn the process over to my own customs clearing agent (I don't have one), or ask DHL to return the item free of charge.

I opted to go online and apply for an EIN at irs.gov. It takes a couple minutes. I provided that number to DHL and things are moving forward for now. I don't know what kind of future paperwork I have incurred by getting the EIN. The DHL employee told me that the social security number or EIN is forwarded electronically to US Customs, but that it also goes into my (customer record) in DHL's computer system ~permanently. I understand other people might not worry about this.

If I had this to do again, I would probably wait to buy it through the Colorado vendor when they get it.

Alternatively, I might have been better off ordering just the Flex by itself. I ordered the Umik-1 and the Dirac upgrade at the same time. Perhaps if I had ordered only the Flex, the value of the order would have been low enough to have not triggered this process. I've ordered things from China before, and never encountered this customs situation.
My MiniDSP Flex balanced with Dirac finally arrived yesterday (Feb 4), after being in the DHL system since Jan 21. Duty on the $828 order (Umik, Flex balanced, and Dirac) was $50.68. The long delay seems to have been glitches on DHL's part. The shipment consisted of two items: the Umik, and the Flex. These ended up going out in different shipping containers. They then seem to have become the responsibility of two different people, who didn't seem to be communicating with each other. The information I provided was used to file for US Customs on the Umik, but the Flex was still in limbo. Four phone calls, several emails, and some electronic message finally got me the bill for duty, and the Flex into my hands a day later.

This experience was unique in all my transactions in e-commerce. I wouldn't care to repeat it. It might help others to:
1) Get a EIN number in advance
2) Order only a single item at time
3) Wait until you get the Flex, and then just order the Dirac key electronically.

I hooked up my Flex yesterday and got it working in a basic configuration. Today, I plan to venture into the world of Dirac.
The Flex has four screw holes in the sides, with no screws in them. Anyone else seeing this?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
My MiniDSP Flex balanced with Dirac finally arrived yesterday (Feb 4), after being in the DHL system since Jan 21. Duty on the $828 order (Umik, Flex balanced, and Dirac) was $50.68. The long delay seems to have been glitches on DHL's part. The shipment consisted of two items: the Umik, and the Flex. These ended up going out in different shipping containers. They then seem to have become the responsibility of two different people, who didn't seem to be communicating with each other. The information I provided was used to file for US Customs on the Umik, but the Flex was still in limbo. Four phone calls, several emails, and some electronic message finally got me the bill for duty, and the Flex into my hands a day later.

This experience was unique in all my transactions in e-commerce. I wouldn't care to repeat it. It might help others to:
1) Get a EIN number in advance
2) Order only a single item at time
3) Wait until you get the Flex, and then just order the Dirac key electronically.

I hooked up my Flex yesterday and got it working in a basic configuration. Today, I plan to venture into the world of Dirac.
The Flex has four screw holes in the sides, with no screws in them. Anyone else seeing this?
Same on my unit.
To be mounted in a rack?

radix

Major Contributor
Same on my unit.
To be mounted in a rack?
I was looking for rack mount ears. What I would really like is 1/2 rack ears so I could put it in a self with a Benchmark DAC3.

knipester

Can anyone that’s bought their rca flex direct from minidsp & had it shipped to the Uk confirm the final price they paid? I’d like to order one to replace my 2x4hd but i would like to be sure of what it’s going to cost with import duties/vat etc.

I’ll probably upgrade to Dirac once I have it up and running.

Filio45

Can anyone that’s bought their rca flex direct from minidsp & had it shipped to the Uk confirm the final price they paid? I’d like to order one to replace my 2x4hd but i would like to be sure of what it’s going to cost with import duties/vat etc.

I’ll probably upgrade to Dirac once I have it up and running.
This reply from 21st Jan should give you an idea

In case this info helps anyone in the UK…. I paid $779 for a Flex with Dirac without UMIK ($749 + $30 shipping). DHL have charged me £124.35 in UK taxes. I can live with that

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,
You can calculate the total cost using the following information (my case, delivery to France).
It ended up with a total of 565€ with the following detailed cost:
- Flex Unit : 459€ (475$ device+30$ shipping => 505$ that is 446€ + 13€ for $/€ conversion)
- Import fees : 106.5€ composed of 89.5€ VAT (french VAT is 20% => 446 X 0.2) and 17€ for DHL fees
- Import tax is 0% thus 0€

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Thus:

Convert the minidsp order cart USD price (including delivery) to Pounds (including conversions fees).
Then you sum up with Unit price (in Pounds without conversion fees no delivery cost) x 0.2 (UK VAT)

Then add DHL processing fees (should be equivalent to 17€ in pound - check the UK website).

No import taxes also as I guess that UK is still using the European custom codification for imported goods taxes or something equivalent

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
For information the TARIC code ( european classification for imported goods) reported by DHL documents for the Flex is 8519890000

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought they came from USA my mistake
Fair enough - but brexit (shitshow that it is)** has equally little to say about imports from USA :)

Brexit (shitshow that it is)** was about a relationship with Europe - nowhere else. Prior to brexit (shitshow that it is)** we could import from Europe free of duties and most paperwork. Now we can't. Our ability to import from anywhere else in the world is little changed.

** sorry: I cannot write the word brexit (shitshow that it is) without adding the phrase (shitshow that it is) :rolleyes:

Top Bottom