• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Let me know how fluid the Bluetooth function is, and whether it shows which codec is being used on the screen or somewhere. Does the input automatically changes to Bluetooth once a client connects?
Once I figured out how to put it in pairing mode, it paired quickly with my iphone and response was good, I noticed no unusual delays. The unit does not change to bluetooth automatically, and does not indicate codec or bit depth/sampling rate or anything like that. It does show that it is on bluetooth input and that it is connected.

Attachments

• flex pic.jpg
    flex pic.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 140

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once I figured out how to put it in pairing mode, it paired quickly with my iphone and response was good, I noticed no unusual delays. The unit does not change to bluetooth automatically, and does not indicate codec or bit depth/sampling rate or anything like that. It does show that it is on bluetooth input and that it is connected.
Bit of a shame for not switching inputs automatically, I obviously want to use Bluetooth once i connect a device. any idea what the ‘(C)’ stands for?

Ultrasonic

That's equivalent display information to the SHD series then.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Bit of a shame for not switching inputs automatically, I obviously want to use Bluetooth once i connect a device. any idea what the ‘(C)’ stands for?

From page 21 of the user manual:

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 10.05.00 AM.png

dkinric

Look at what showed up a little early today! AMA

Edit 1: Not pictured, in box: Welcome note, USB cable, small screw in BT antenna, other type power adaptor plates
Edit 2: Really small, only 6 inches wide
Spent yesterday installing and setting up the Flex. It is replacing a Topping DX7PRO dac and a Cambridge audio integrated amp for preamp. This is not a plug and play unit as you would expect. Multiple downloads, multiple programs and detailed setup steps are required. I was able to do a preliminary setup for my 2.2 system, assigning high and low bypass filters for subs and mains, performed the (12) measurements with a UMIK1 mic, and applying a Dirac filter. Looking at all the options like manual filters and delay settings, I have only touched the surface of what this unit is capable of.

That said, my subjective impression of just this effort is very good. I spent hrs last night just listening to different music like you do when you get a new component. Most noticeable improvement was in the bass. Although my Martin Logan subs had their own Anthem ARC, the new result is much better - tighter, less bloated bass. I could turn it up louder without having to turn the sub levels down or enduring too much bass drowning out the rest. It sounds like a much more natural, integrated presentation.

Very happy with the results.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
In case this info helps anyone in the UK…. I paid $779 for a Flex with Dirac without UMIK ($749 + $30 shipping). DHL have charged me £124.35 in UK taxes. I can live with that :)
Sounds about right. 20% plus £8 ish cost of collection.

dkinric

This thing is SILENT.
Guess you mean like no hiss/background noise? I noticed it when I switched to a hypex based amp awhile back. Completely silent background at all volume levels is pretty cool. Vanishing levels of distortion and noise throughout the signal chain contributes to a stunning presentation. I love it.

Ultrasonic

Anyone think a Flex with more analog inputs is coming soon?

Are you thinking like a newer version of the 4x10 HD? My guess is not, since to me the added functionality of the Flex would be less relevant in more applications I'd have thought.

Wavez

Right something like that - I really just want to use it as my preamp with multiple sources plugged in...with DIRAC live.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First general impressions are very good. The rotary encoder is just a delight, you can change volume, preset, and input very easily using the knob. It's so good that it makes the remote redundant (i didn't really open it and not planing to).

Noise is just not a thing anymore. My brain tells me it is differently better than the 2x4HD but i learned well not to trust it.

All-in-all a much needed upgrade from the 2x4HD, I'm very satisfied. I emailed the support team about some features that were lacking at launch but i'm sure they will be ironed out eventually.

Last edited:

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Does somebody have an idea of current order to delivery times to Europe ?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

TimW

Major Contributor
Is the front facia of this unit a single piece of transparent material? If so does it seem like it's made of plastic and do you think it would scratch easily?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's so good that it makes the remote redundant (i didn't really open it and not planing to).
Does it work from the couch?
I emailed the support team about some features that were lacking at launch but i'm sure they will be ironed out eventually.
I read: “I’m sure they will be ignored eventually” :facepalm: damn dyslexia o_O

Ultrasonic

Right something like that - I really just want to use it as my preamp with multiple sources plugged in...with DIRAC live.

Ah, right. My guess remains this is unlikely. In that miniDSP have pretty much released this as an updated version of the 2x4 HD / DDRC-24, so if they were thinking of adding another selectable analogue stereo input now would have seemed the time they'd do it. I may of course be totally wrong!

I wonder what proportion of potential customers have multiple analogue sources they may want to use?

You could get a separate passive source switching box. I use one like the following to switch what signal gets sent to my subwoofer for example:

I'd expect there are remote control equivalents too although I don't recall ever seeing one. All more hassle than just having an extra analogue source to switch to obviously!

It's SHD money but in case you aren't aware and may care, the NAD C658 has multiple analogue inputs and Dirac Live, but lacks the 4 independent output channels of the miniDSPs.

Sean Ku

Thanks for reporting on this! I am really looking forward to getting mine... but...
DHL is asking for my social security number for customs work. Did they ask for yours?

Top Bottom