• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can sense the excitement building as members await delivery.

I don’t think any new product has been so highly anticipated since Spotify announced their new HiFi tier.

…. Oops, bad comparison.
That won’t stop Topping from releasing the same product from last year with 1 extra SINAD lol.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That won’t stop Topping from releasing the same product from last year with 1 extra SINAD lol.
I haven't seen any topping products with crossovers and DSP room correction.

deafenears

Forum Donor
@devteam , well done to you and the team on launching a pretty nice product. Any ideas when the digital version will be available?

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Got a notification last night for my Flex order. Ordered 12/15, ETA 1/24 to Virginia, USA.
Look at what showed up a little early today! AMA

Edit 1: Not pictured, in box: Welcome note, USB cable, small screw in BT antenna, other type power adaptor plates
Edit 2: Really small, only 6 inches wide

Attachments

• flex.jpg
    flex.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let me know how fluid the Bluetooth function is, and whether it shows which codec is being used on the screen or somewhere. Does the input automatically changes to Bluetooth once a client connects?

dkinric

Let me know how fluid the Bluetooth function is, and whether it shows which codec is being used on the screen or somewhere.
Setup may be tomorrow, but I will check. My boys may use bluetooth on it, I will be mainly feeding it a hardwired RPI via dig coax.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor

Edit 1: Not pictured, in box: Welcome note, USB cable, small screw in BT antenna, other type power adaptor plates
Awesome! I can't wait — no shipping notice for me yet. Take one for the team and send it to Amir! ;)

Iankang

Hopefully this will get reviewed by Amir soon. In the meanwhile, can someone already receive Flex do a simple loopback check?

dwkdnvr

Let me know how fluid the Bluetooth function is, and whether it shows which codec is being used on the screen or somewhere. Does the input automatically changes to Bluetooth once a client connects?
I'm curious about how well bluetooth works as well - for one potential application it's a huge selling point over the SHD/SHD Studio. I'm guessing bluetooth will only be active when you select the input - otherwise what is likely to happen is that your phone will auto-connect as soon as it's in range and will constantly revert the input which would be rather annoying.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm guessing bluetooth will only be active when you select the input - otherwise what is likely to happen is that your phone will auto-connect as soon as it's in range and will constantly revert the input which would be rather annoying.
I disagree. When someone wants to use Bluetooth they should not need to get a remote or fiddling with stuff.

With Bluetooth you compromise on everything (distance, quality, customization) all for the sake of convenience.

MCH

Major Contributor
I got billed for 111 euro from DHL for tax for ordering from the website directly.

So the total i paid for was ~550 euro, Audiphonics is selling it for 800.
Does that mean you basically paid the VAT and a small fee but no significant import duties?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
In case this info helps anyone in the UK…. I paid $779 for a Flex with Dirac without UMIK ($749 + $30 shipping). DHL have charged me £124.35 in UK taxes. I can live with that :)
If you buy the flex with Dirac, custom fees and vat will be calculated on the total declared item (including Dirac license).
While if you order just the flex, custom fees and vat will be calculated on the flex unit only (+delivery fee).
Then once the unit is received, you can get the upgrade without import free nor vat as it is a virtual asset.
When I got the ddrc-24 Dirac upgrade I only had the dollar/euros conversion fees.
The only drawback is a couple of days to wait for the upgrade once the unit is received. The avantage is 30% less of vat and import fees (as licence price is a bit less than half of the unit price).
Unless minidsp does not declare the cost of the Dirac license to transporters but I would be surprised as usually it is the amount of the order that is used.

Last edited:

tjf

Hi, any chance of you opening the chassis and taking Hi Res pics of the board(s) and posting? I'm sure many of us are curious about DACs, processors, etc, etc -- if you're comforable doing this of course...

dkinric

Hi, any chance of you opening the chassis and taking Hi Res pics of the board(s) and posting? I'm sure many of us are curious about DACs, processors, etc, etc -- if you're comforable doing this of course...
I was able to remove the 2 small screws on the back panel, but that's as far as I got. I was not able to get the cover off, I didn't see anything else to remove and didn't want to force more than I was without knowing what I was doing. If anyone knows the trick, I can give it another go.

Top Bottom