• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
which product does support DLBC ? I need that
High-end AV processors, the Monoprice HTP-1 is one of them. There is a rumor that the high-end Onyko and Pionner AVRs (11.2 channel 4K/120Hz AVRs) that are yet to be released has DLBC too.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
The products which support DLBC seem to be in a totally different price range to miniDSP, plus you still have to upgrade the Dirac license. $499 for DLBC Multi Subwoofer.

So, yes, don’t hold you breath.

MeZoX

Only a few AVR's from Arcam, Focal and Bryston
High-end AV processors, the Monoprice HTP-1 is one of them.

AVR market is a bit of a mess in the moment with the hdmi 2.1 support and HDR & Dolby technologies not fully supported I think it needs sometime for specs to stabilize , add to that not all of them support BE output

that Monoprice looks great with balanced output specially that you need long cable runs in HT setup , it does lack hdmi 2.1 though

JRS

Major Contributor
You will change your mind the first time Moode Audio crashes.
One thing I want to avoid is computer thrashes--what would you recommend as a solid platform for dsp and streaming? I really don't have a problem using my laptop as a piece in the pathway, but would love a set and forget situation that could be tucked away and streaming control done via an I-pad or tablet. Needs to support triamped mains and a subwoofer for film (20-50H).

Last edited:

Rafaille

One thing I want to avoid is computer thrashes--what would you recommend as a solid platform for dsp and streaming? I really don't have a problem using my laptop as a piece in the pathway, but would love a set and forget situation that could be tucked away and streaming control done via an I-pad or tablet.
I have never tried it but there is now an equivalent plugin on Volumio v3.
https://community.volumio.org/t/fusiondsp-for-volumio3-beta/50474

Might be worth giving it a go if you have a spare Raspberry Pi lying around.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing I want to avoid is computer thrashes--what would you recommend as a solid platform for dsp and streaming? I really don't have a problem using my laptop as a piece in the pathway, but would love a set and forget situation that could be tucked away and streaming control done via an I-pad or tablet.

I replaced two miniDSP based systems with RPi4s running Ubuntu Server 64 bit and CamillaDSP with USB multichannel DACs about six months ago. Ubuntu is very stable, absolutely no issues in that regard. Both in terms of using it daily without issue and going out of town for weeks and coming back and everything working perfectly. I tried Moode early on but it didn't seem very reliable and Ubuntu has a newer kernel which I needed for my MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

On my main system the RPi4 just does DSP, on my secondary system the RPi4 does DSP and acts as a streamer. For the streamer squeezelite and shairport-sync (airplay) cover all of my needs but I also tried out Roon bridge when I was trialing Roon. I have not personally found any reason to install an audio specific distro.

Michael

JRS

Major Contributor
I replaced two miniDSP based systems with RPi4s running Ubuntu Server 64 bit and CamillaDSP with USB multichannel DACs about six months ago. Ubuntu is very stable, absolutely no issues in that regard. Both in terms of using it daily without issue and going out of town for weeks and coming back and everything working perfectly. I tried Moode early on but it didn't seem very reliable and Ubuntu has a newer kernel which I needed for my MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

On my main system the RPi4 just does DSP, on my secondary system the RPi4 does DSP and acts as a streamer. For the streamer squeezelite and shairport-sync (airplay) cover all of my needs but I also tried out Roon bridge when I was trialing Roon. I have not personally found any reason to install an audio specific distro.

Michael
It's been forever since I used Unix and never linux, how much linux is required to implement and troubleshoot? I would love to be free of Windows!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been forever since I used Unix and never linux, how much linux is required to implement and troubleshoot? I would love to be free of Windows!

It does not require much linux skill, just need to be able to use SSH to remotely log in to the RPi and follow instructions.

At this point if you use a known multichannel DAC (Focusrite 18i20 2nd gen, MOTU Ultralite Mk5, Okto dac8 pro, MOTU M4, DIYINHK ES9016/ES9038) on a RPi4 it is around 20 minutes of setup time. Once you have the basic configuration setup then it is also a lot easier to make DSP changes because you can use the CamillaDSP web interface.

There is definitely the potential for more tinkering / troubleshooting depending on what you want to do. For example if you use a different USB DAC it might have some quirks or if you need a different audio player or streaming service that might require some troubleshooting. I keep things simple in my setup and have my software players (squeezelite and shairport-sync) resample to a fixed rate so I can run CamillaDSP at one rate (like miniDSP does). You can certainly setup CamillaDSP so it loads new configurations based on sample rate changes but that requires more complication.

Things get more complicated when you start integrating IR receivers and displays for volume control / indication which is why the digital output Flex would be such a nice front end as it solves all those issues with no fuss and gives you great input functionality.

To give you a feel see below for the setup instructions I currently use as well as a very basic configuration for a MOTU Ultralite Mk5.

CamillaDSP Setup
Rich (BB code):
---
Bold values indicate items that require user modification. Italic text indicates items to be entered in to terminal while being logged in to raspberry pi via SSH.

1) Write Ubuntu Server 21.10 to SD card using Raspberry Pi Imager

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-your-raspberry-pi#1-overview

2) Modify network-config on SD card with text editor to enable wifi by adding the following line:

wifis:
wlan0:
dhcp4: true
optional: true
access-points:
"network name":
password: "passwd"

Once this is done you can insert the SD card in the Pi and power it up. The following instructions assume you will be doing a headless setup via SSH.

3) Change host name

ssh ubuntu@ubuntu

Default password is ubuntu. On your first log in you will be required to change the password. Change the password and log back in via ssh with your new password.

ssh ubuntu@ubuntu

Change hostname from ubuntu to desired hostname

sudo nano /etc/hostname -> change ubuntu to new hostname, in this case I am using raspberrypi3 as my hostname

sudo reboot

4) Change user name

ssh ubuntu@raspberrypi3

Create temp user so that you can log in as temp and change user name

sudo -s
useradd -G sudo temp
passwd temp
reboot

ssh temp@raspberrypi3

Change user name from ubuntu to new username, in this case I am using michael3 as my username

sudo -s
usermod -l michael3 ubuntu

Change home directory and group name to match your new user name (michael3)

usermod -d /home/michael3 -m michael3
groupmod --new-name michael3 ubuntu
reboot

ssh michael3@raspberrypi3

Delete temp user

sudo deluser temp

5) Update / upgrade apt

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
sudo reboot

5) Install CamillaDSP

ssh michael3@raspberrypi3

wget https://github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp/releases/download/v1.0.0-alpha4/camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz

tar -xvf camilladsp-linux-aarch64.tar.gz

6) Create CamillaDSP yml configuration file

Prefer to put this in /home/michael3/camilladsp.yml so camilladsp can be removed and updated without impacting configuration file.

7) Create CamillaDSP service

You will need to change "ExecStart" line to reflect your yml configuration name / location

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/camilladsp.service

[Unit]
After=syslog.target
StartLimitIntervalSec=10
StartLimitBurst=10

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=/home/michael3/camilladsp -g-40 -p 1234 /home/michael3/camilladsp.yml
Restart=always
RestartSec=1
StandardOutput=syslog
StandardError=syslog
SyslogIdentifier=camilladsp
User=root
Group=root
CPUSchedulingPolicy=fifo
CPUSchedulingPriority=10

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

8) Enable service

sudo systemctl enable camilladsp

9) Install python and dependencies

sudo apt install python3 python3-pip python3-websocket python3-aiohttp python3-jsonschema python3-numpy python3-matplotlib

10) Install pycamilladsp

sudo git clone https://github.com/HEnquist/pycamilladsp

cd ~/pycamilladsp
pip3 install .
cd ..

11) Install pycamilladsp-plot

sudo git clone https://github.com/HEnquist/pycamilladsp-plot
cd ~/pycamilladsp-plot
pip3 install .
cd ..

12) Install gui server

mkdir ~/configs
mkdir ~/coeffs

sudo apt install unzip

wget https://github.com/HEnquist/camillagui-backend/releases/download/v0.8.0/camillagui.zip

unzip ~/camillagui.zip -d ~/camillagui

nano ~/camillagui/config/camillagui.yml -> update path to configuration files and configs / coeffs

GUI is accessed via http://raspberrypi3:5000

14) Create service to start GUI

sudo nano /lib/systemd/system/camillagui.service

[Unit]
Description=CamillaDSP Backend and GUI
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
User=michael3
Type=idle
ExecStart=python3 /home/michael3/camillagui/main.py

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

sudo systemctl enable camillagui

15) Set up loopback

sudo nano /etc/modules-load.d/snd-aloop.conf -> snd-aloop

snd-aloop.ko is not installed by default on Ubuntu 21.10, run command below to install it.

sudo apt install linux-modules-extra-$(uname -r)

16) Create udev rule to start service when DAC is connected

udevadm monitor --subsystem-match=usb --property --udev

Plug in DAC (if it is currently plugged in, unplug it and re-plug it in)

Record the vendor ID. Use ctrl + c to exit.

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/90-camilladsp.rules

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="20b1", RUN+="/bin/systemctl --no-block start camilladsp" -> change 20b1 to the vendor ID for your DAC

20) Install squeezelite

This will install squeezelite and resample all files to 44.1 kHz using sox (unless file is natively 44.1 kHz). In addition squeezelite will stop after 5 seconds of inactivity to allow for shairport-sync to be used in addition to squeezelite.

sudo apt install squeezelite
sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite

SL_SOUNDCARD="hw:0,1"
SB_EXTRA_ARGS="-W -C 5 -r 44100-44100 -R hLE:::28"

21) Install shairport-sync

sudo apt install shairport-sync libsoxr-dev
sudo nano /etc/shairport-sync.conf

Uncomment the following lines (delete // from start of line) and make changes shown below.

name = "%h";
interpolation = "soxr";
port = 6000;
drift_tolerance_in_seconds = 0.010;
output_device = "hw:0,1";

sudo reboot

camilladsp.yml
Rich (BB code):
---
devices:
  samplerate: 96000
  chunksize: 4096     
  enable_rate_adjust: true
  enable_resampling: true
  resampler_type: BalancedAsync
  silence_threshold: -100
  silence_timeout: 5.0
  capture_samplerate: 44100

capture:
    type: Alsa
    channels: 2
    device: "hw:Loopback,0"
    format: S32LE
  playback:
    type: Alsa
    channels: 18
    device: "hw:UltraLitemk5"
    format: S24LE3

mixers:
  2to10chan:
    channels:
      in: 2
      out: 18
    mapping:
      - dest: 0
        sources:
          - channel: 0
            gain: 0
            inverted: false
      - dest: 1
        sources:
          - channel: 1
      - dest: 2
        sources:
      - dest: 3
        sources:
      - dest: 4
        sources:
      - dest: 5
        sources:
      - dest: 6
        sources:
      - dest: 7
        sources:
      - dest: 8
        sources:
      - dest: 9
        sources:
      - dest: 14
        sources:
      - dest: 15
        sources:
filters:
  volume:
    type: Volume
    parameters:
      ramp_time: 200

pipeline:
  - type: Mixer
    name: 2to10chan

- type: Filter
    channel: 0
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 1
    names:
      - volume   
    channel: 2
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 3
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 4
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 5
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 6
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 7
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 8
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 9
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 14
    names:
      - volume
    channel: 15
    names:
      - volume

Michael

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes that's the plan indeed, I was actually about to order a nanodigi a few weeks ago and then it got discontinued.
I do have two DACs, the one for the speakers would be the topping ex5. Performance wise I am wondering how the flex will compare, notably at high sampling. Feature wise I would like to keep it anyway as it also does headphone amp and lacks analog inputs so I cannot use the flex as a dac to feed it.
1) higher sampling rate will not make any improvement to the sound
2) your idea of using a pair of DACs driven by the flex digital won’t be convenient for headphones as none of the low bass will be going to this DAC and you will have to set a different configuration in the MiniDSP and keep track of it (no crossover , Dirac off)

If I were you I would just get the analog out flex and set up a separate system for headphones .

Rafaille

1) higher sampling rate will not make any improvement to the sound
2) your idea of using a pair of DACs driven by the flex digital won’t be convenient for headphones as none of the low bass will be going to this DAC and you will have to set a different configuration in the MiniDSP and keep track of it (no crossover , Dirac off)

If I were you I would just get the analog out flex and set up a separate system for headphones .
1) I beg to differ, higher sampling gives more headroom w.r.t usable dynamic range especially when attenuating volume in a file library or doing EQ in general. Much better explained there: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/musings-why-bother-with-24-bit-dacs.html?m=1

2) Yes I know but I am hoping there is a way to quickly switch between presets on the flex? I think I have read somewhere that the SHD has such a feature.

I have recently upgraded to an amp with balanced inputs whereas my sub has single ended so Id rather use the 2 DACs I already have (one balanced out and one unbalanced out) to match everything nicely. If there is no quick preset switch on the flex I might have to rethink this though.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rafaille

This is nonsense, higher sampling rate has nothing to do with dynamic range or headroom. You are confusing sampling rate and bit depth.
True, I confused them.
Point still stands for bit depth though.

I am surprised by the level of aggressivity. I am not very knowledgeable when it gets technical, which I am sure you will rush to point out, but I am trying to learn.
I thought this forum was about sharing knowledge and when a newbie like me dares to post something (instead of lurking around as I used to do for so long) and makes a mistake someone would jump in nicely to help and correct. I am probably being a bit naive.

Other newbies may be happy to learn stuff while reading the link I shared above, which I think is very informative. Discussing the content rather than accusing me of saying nonsense, although factually true, I reckon is more helpful for everyone. Again, I am probably being a naive.

JRS

Major Contributor
1) I beg to differ, higher sampling gives more headroom w.r.t usable dynamic range especially when attenuating volume in a file library or doing EQ in general. Much better explained there: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/02/musings-why-bother-with-24-bit-dacs.html?m=1

2) Yes I know but I am hoping there is a way to quickly switch between presets on the flex? I think I have read somewhere that the SHD has such a feature.

I have recently upgraded to an amp with balanced inputs whereas my sub has single ended so Id rather use the 2 DACs I already have (one balanced out and one unbalanced out) to match everything nicely. If there is no quick preset switch on the flex I might have to rethink this though.
Maybe I am confused, but sampling rate isn't the cause of the difference, bit depth is. So for example, 44/24 should have all the benefits claimed in the link whether 96/24, 192/24 etc.

Edit: thanks for the link. It was informative, but not entirely convinced that with thoughtful gain matching, it has much of an impact on home audio.

Last edited:

Rafaille

Maybe I am confused, but sampling rate isn't the cause of the difference, bit depth is. So for example, 44/24 should have all the benefits claimed in the link whether 96/24, 192/24 etc.
I was the one confusing, apologies. But thanks for being nice about it.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, I confused them.
Point still stands for bit depth though.

I am surprised by the level of aggressivity. I am not very knowledgeable when it gets technical, which I am sure you will rush to point out, but I am trying to learn.
I thought this forum was about sharing knowledge and when a newbie like me dares to post something (instead of lurking around as I used to do for so long) and makes a mistake someone would jump in nicely to help and correct. I am probably being a bit naive.

Other newbies may be happy to learn stuff while reading the link I shared above, which I think is very informative. Discussing the content rather than accusing me of saying nonsense, although factually true, I reckon is more helpful for everyone. Again, I am probably being a naive.
Calling a false statement nonsense is not personal, so please don't take it personally. It appears in this post and some previous posts that you are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist and in doing so creating other problems for yourself or increasing system complexity. I was trying to help. As to bit depth , there is no advantage to using a separate DAC with the Flex digital vs the Flex analog.

You have a few options:
1) you could use the miniDSP Flex balanced without any other DAC with conversion cables for your sub (this is what I plan to do for my desktop system. You would use a different device for headphones
2) you could use an SHD studio with two DACS, it has a headphone out

Top Bottom