• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you not mix/match a and d outputs? If not then yes a cheap dac should be plenty fine.
Digital version only has digital outputs. Analogue versions only have analogue outputs.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
MiniDSP FLEX 8 has 2 x digital inputs and 8 x analog outputs.

Megaken

Can someone post a picture of the power supply that came with the flex (original flex, not flex 8). I lost mine and would like to know what it looks like to know what to look for... or where can I get a replacement? Thanks

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone post a picture of the power supply that came with the flex (original flex, not flex 8). I lost mine and would like to know what it looks like to know what to look for... or where can I get a replacement? Thanks

vandubi

Has anyone ever tried to unse one Flex unit for several rooms/ setups? In theory one could measure each room individually and then create corresponding filter sets and load it to the flex, right?
How would I be able to stream the corrected digital toslink or coaxial signal wirelessly to other rooms? I dont want to lay cables around my place. Any cool ideas?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone ever tried to unse one Flex unit for several rooms/ setups? In theory one could measure each room individually and then create corresponding filter sets and load it to the flex, right?
How would I be able to stream the corrected digital toslink or coaxial signal wirelessly to other rooms? I dont want to lay cables around my place. Any cool ideas?
Have a look at the thread here for some wireless options:

Harryharryharry

The flex 8 is supposed to get WISA certification soon which is a wireless audio standard

vandubi

The flex 8 is supposed to get WISA certification soon which is a wireless audio standard
Wow, thats really nice. Here some copy pasta from minidsp:
With the Flex Eight + WiSA option, you can transmit high-resolution audio seamlessly and losslessly to up to eight WiSA-certified speakers, including subwoofers. Here is a list of WiSA-certified speakers. Because the Flex Eight also has analog outputs, you can also build a hybrid system (e.g. stereo WiSA speakers and analog out to a subwoofer) or wireless audio to multizones. With its flexible range of digital inputs (Bluetooth/USB/TOSLINK/SPDIF), this tiny box is the easiest way to implement subwoofer integration & Dirac Live room correction...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why have 8 WiSa outputs with only stereo input? Who needs 6 subs?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bi amping (or tri amping) speakers, with active crossovers
But the speaker already have all the electronics behind the WiSa receiver. It only needs one channel.

There aren’t really DIY solutions yet, nor stand-alone receivers.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the speaker already have all the electronics behind the WiSa receiver. It only needs one channel.

There aren’t really DIY solutions yet, nor stand-alone receivers.
Sorry missed the wisa part of the question. No, can‘t think of anything

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry missed the wisa part of the question. No, can‘t think of anything
Well, B&O has one for about $€£ 200. Obviously made for the B&O ecosystem. You can also buy some naked PCBs that can do it, but those are eval boards, and priced accordingly.

vandubi

Apparently WiSa only works inside one single room. The signal (5ghz) is not supposed to penetrate through (brick) walls. Thats a bummer!

withoutsuit

But you don’t need then all on discrete channels, do you?
Well, for multisubpurposes it may be helpful and also for not perfectly placed dba subs (separate delays can solve some issues). Also playing with MSO requires discrete outputs.

Last edited:

Megaken

Hi, if I've used the DDRC plugin before, but want to setup my flex as a new device without any of the old settings, do I need to use the migration procedure or just set it up as new in the device console? Thx

Top Bottom