• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Geronimo.USMC

I also just got mine and I am starting to read the guides and pages about setting up Dirac with it. I have a few questions that you folks might be able to help I think:

My current setup is a pair of KEF LS 50 Metas (port covered) and an SVS 1000 Pro sub.

1) The SVS sub has built-in DSP, which I disabled, but I can't disable the volume control, so should I set the internal Sub volume to 100% when integrating via the Flex/Dirac?
2) Should I apply the Xover curve between speakers and Sub before I do the Dirac measurements?
3) I read in this thread that it would be better to use the Harmann target curve from here since the default Dirac one is not the best option. Anyone has used both and can chime in as to what they think?
DIRAC 3.3.3 gives you a nice curve automatically now, and it is also easier to adjust, using 2 sliders. One on the low end, and one in the treble.

You still can also load curves the old way if you prefer.

#1: SVS' DSP is.... very weak compared to what you can do with the output 10 band PEQ capability of the miniDSP + REW. I've got a SB1000 Pro and SB3000 and don't use the built in ones. You'll get the best results from Dirac if you get the volume level of the SVS to match the resulting +6db target point before running Dirac, also use REW to get your EQ for your subwoofer set up before you run Dirac.
The MiniDSP Flex is a 2 channel device, not a 2.1 channel. It doesn't address the subwoofer directly just the resulting output from post-crossover.
#2: Yes. LR 24db is what I would do. But you need to do a bit more work first.
#3: I use the +6db target curve myself, I like it better than the +4 or +8.
Hi, I think the flex is a 4 channel device.

glc650

so should I set the internal Sub volume to 100% when integrating via the Flex/Dirac?
No. You want to allow yourself headroom to avoid clipping or blowing it out. Leave it at the default/out of box volume setting or volume match it before running DIRAC (unless the DIRAC process already includes such a step).

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. You want to allow yourself headroom to avoid clipping or blowing it out. Leave it at the default/out of box volume setting or volume match it before running DIRAC (unless the DIRAC process already includes such a step).
Also , setting the subwoofer gain to maximum is a good way to pick up hum, I suggest keeping in between -10dB and -20dB

Geronimo.USMC

I leave all my subs' gain knobs a 12 o' clock, and strictly adjust gain/ level match with the miniDSP unit.

Sluraad

Hi, I think the flex is a 4 channel device.
No, the Flex is a 3rd generation 2 input, 4 output (2x4, 2x4HD, Flex) MiniDSP device, and you can map those 2 channels to up to 4 outputs. There is no discrete channel for the subwoofer on the input, you can only a subwoofer via the two channels and the crossover.
That means when you run your volume test and measurement sweep, it is the left speaker + subwoofer then the right speaker + subwoofer at the same time. So you need to manually match volume to your speakers bass volume at the crossover point before you run Dirac for optimal results. This is fairly easy to do in REW, set your crossover frequency and run a sweep, then up/down the volume on the sub until the level matches your speakers where you have it crossed over.

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH
No, the Flex is a 3rd generation 2 input, 4 output (2x4, 2x4HD, Flex) MiniDSP device, and you can map those 2 channels to up to 4 outputs. There is no discrete channel for the subwoofer on the input, you can only a subwoofer via the two channels and the crossover.
That means when you run your volume test and measurement sweep, it is the left speaker + subwoofer then the right speaker + subwoofer at the same time. So you need to manually match volume to your speakers bass volume at the crossover point before you run Dirac for optimal results. This is fairly easy to do in REW, set your crossover frequency and run a sweep, then up/down the volume on the sub until the level matches your speakers where you have it crossed over.
I meant that is has four channels on the output. You will have 4 setings for the four outputs.

Last edited:

Sluraad

I meant that is has for channels on the output. You will have 4 seatings for the four outputs.
Yes, but for processing purposes it is a 2 channel device, you can just assign those 2 channels in more complicated ways.

artishard116

Can anyone tell me if the flex will automatically come out of standby or do any auto input switching when it senses a signal on one of its inputs?

Considering using the digital i/o version as a preamp/volume control for a dual Neumann 310/750 setup.

Sluraad

Can anyone tell me if the flex will automatically come out of standby or do any auto input switching when it senses a signal on one of its inputs?

Considering using the digital i/o version as a preamp/volume control for a dual Neumann 310/750 setup.
It does not auto wake. Going in and out of standby is a manual press button on remote thing.

Geronimo.USMC

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the confirmation. Too bad. Do you have to manually switch inputs too?
Yes you do. Unless the input is Bluetooth - in which case it will randomly switch to bluetooth while you are listening to something else if a device makes a connection - or remakes a connection. The only solution to this seems to be to disable the flex BT connection on your devices.

The flex is a great device - but this particular aspect of it is a huge fail.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes you do. Unless the input is Bluetooth - in which case it will randomly switch to bluetooth while you are listening to something else if a device makes a connection - or remakes a connection. The only solution to this seems to be to disable the flex BT connection on your devices.

The flex is a great device - but this particular aspect of it is a huge fail.
Tony, can you confirm if the following is right or wrong? (and sorry for my ignorance)
1. If you want to switch from your streamer (connected to usb in) to your toslink source (different sample rate), you need to press two buttons, one to cange input, and a second time to change config.
2. If you never pair any bluetooth source to the flex, you will not be interrupted.
Thanks!

If 1. is true and 2. false i predict a poor family acceptance chez marcosch...

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tony, can you confirm if the following is right or wrong? (and sorry for my ignorance)
1. If you want to switch from your streamer (connected to usb in) to your toslink source (different sample rate), you need to press two buttons, one to cange input, and a second time to change config.
2. If you never pair any bluetooth source to the flex, you will not be interrupted.
Thanks!

If 1. is true and 2. false i predict a poor family acceptance chez marcosch...

1 - No, you only need to change source. The configuration (equalisation) is related to your speakers and room, not to your source, so can remain the same. The only reason you might want to change a configuration is if (like me) you have an anlalogue source at a much lower level, and you want to apply a fixed output gain. However an alternative is to simply adjust the volume as required for that source.

2 - Correct, nothing paired, no auto switching.

So false and true - as I said a great device.

Reactions: MCH

BklynJjm

If you recently received a Flex balanced in the US, can you let me know when you ordered it? Ordered mine last week and just trying to gauge when I might see it. Itching to dive into the DSP rabbit hole. Thank you!

Geronimo.USMC

If you recently received a Flex balanced in the US, can you let me know when you ordered it? Ordered mine last week and just trying to gauge when I might see it. Itching to dive into the DSP rabbit hole. Thank you!
I ordered May 4th, and I'm literally on my way to pick it up at the pick up station today.

It probably would've arrived earlier, but the DHL pick up center is closed on the weekends where I live.

BklynJjm

I ordered May 4th, and I'm literally on my way to pick it up at the pick up station today.

It probably would've arrived earlier, but the DHL pick up center is closed on the weekends where I live.
Thanks Geronimo. I ordered 6 days after you so I have hope. Did you receive any shipping notification form MiniDSP when it was sent?

Top Bottom