• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

Robocop

Here is the best balanced TRS plug freely available anywhere. Or buy the complete cables from a Pro Music shop. Note three connection points. You can buy cheaper alternatives but Neutrik is the best for reasonable money. I have fitted these to Nordost Heimdall MKII interconnect cables, worked a treat. Fitting is not for the faint hearted needs good hand skills and soldering iron.

Neutrik NP3X-B 1/4" Professional Phone Plugs, X-Series - Contacts​

49644.jpg

Last edited:

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To whom it may concern @mdsimon2 stayed true to his word and kindly performed a true multi-test regarding the performance of devices like this and the difference when loaded with EQ profiles,DSP filters,etc.
The results for Sharc DSP based devises like this one is similar with the ones I measured and observed (as a newbie) and it was a relief I did not mislead anyone about it (I always afraid of this when I post my newbie measurements).

Audibility issues are unlikely to be,it remains to be tested with more complex filters but it's good to know that there are measurable issues at lows and not small ones.

EDIT:The test link:

Measurements without using DSP in the Flex are stellar, but turning on digital processing is not the same stuff.

So ... is better to have a fanless mini PC with CamillaDSP / Equalizer APO / Dirac Live and a multichannel DAC? (4 / 8 outputs)

The convenience in minidsp is hard to beat, but maybe the PC option is the best sound quality.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Measurements without using DSP in the Flex are stellar, but turning on digital processing is not the same stuff.

So ... is better to have a fanless mini PC with CamillaDSP / Equalizer APO / Dirac Live and a multichannel DAC? (4 / 8 outputs)

The convenience in minidsp is hard to beat, but maybe the PC option is the best sound quality.
Measurements aside the results are most likely to be inaudible in most cases in a digital system.
Entering the analog realm things gets worst but I expect them also to be inaudible with music.
Sure,Camila DSP proved the best solution so far.
So it's up to anyone to decide.

Naturlig

Anyone tried the following or similar setup?
ifi ZEN STREAM usb out => miniDSP Flex Digital usb in / miniDSP FLEX Digital TOSLINK out => Topping D70S DAC TOSLINK in / XLR out => power amp?
I have, does not work. Have I missed something here?
I cannot inspect how the Flex operates in the Device Console since the Flex usb is already occupied.
Topping DAC sync to 48kHz because I have the Flex DL version.
MacBook usb => Flex => Topping works fine.

Naturlig

Anyone tried the following or similar setup?
ifi ZEN STREAM usb out => miniDSP Flex Digital usb in / miniDSP FLEX Digital TOSLINK out => Topping D70S DAC TOSLINK in / XLR out => power amp?
I have, does not work. Have I missed something here?
I cannot inspect how the Flex operates in the Device Console since the Flex usb is already occupied.
Topping DAC sync to 48kHz because I have the Flex DL version.
MacBook usb => Flex => Topping works fine.
:) Now it's playing. In ifi ZEN STREAM/config/output devices had to be set to miniDSP Flex DL from SPDIF (which probably is the default) and restart the ZEN box. I have not changed that setting previously, I have used ZEN STREAM for quite some time connected usb to several other DACs/Roon.

Megaken

Can anyone in Philadelphia area come and help me setup minidsp flex with Dirac on a 2.1 system?

tomtan

Forum Donor
I have been offered a minidsp flex with a dirac license for a cheap price of 300 usd. I already have a denon x4700h, is the minidsp flex worth it, how can I best use the minidsp flex and take advantage of dirac license compared to audyssey? I'm a bit confused how it's used concretely.

I have a 4.1.4 (no center channel sadly because it's not possible in my apartment)

Last edited:

Megaken

I have been offered a minidsp flex with a dirac license for a cheap price of 300 usd. I already have a denon x4700h, is the minidsp flex worth it, how can I best use the minidsp flex and take advantage of dirac license compared to audyssey? I'm a bit confused how it's used concretely
Unless you already have a good understanding of what it is and how it works (including how to use REW), you'd be buying yourself a ton of headache for $300. Especially if you have a subwoofer.

tomtan

Forum Donor
The one thing I can see that would be useful for sure is that I plan to add bass shakers and for this I need to have different crossover for the bass shakers for movies (30 or 50hz) than the subwoofer (currently 120hz), it's why I looked at minidsp 2x4 hd and then saw that second hand option.

I did use REW to calibrate my subwoofer with she SVS app.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The one thing I can see that would be useful for sure is that I plan to add bass shakers and for this I need to have different crossover for the bass shakers for movies (30 or 50hz) than the subwoofer (currently 120hz), it's why I looked at minidsp 2x4 hd and then saw that second hand option.

I did use REW to calibrate my subwoofer with she SVS app.
The MiniDSP is stereo only, so you can't use it for a 4.x.4 system. You can use it if you use it just for music using a stereo input to the AVR.

You'd need to (IMO) put the AVR into "pure direct" mode, not doing any DSP, leaving that for the MiniDSP. You'd need to be able to drive the sub separately from the MIniDSP, and the Denon.

Then use Audyssy for movies, and Dirac for music.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If all you care about is the xover and not sound quality (shakers are not about sound,are they?) you can get away with a dead cheap analog one for 50$ or less.

Paul Ebert

As someone who is new to such devices, but anticipates needing them soon, I'd be very interested in suggestions for fanless mini PCs and multichannel DACs that would serve well in such a chain.

dougi

:) Now it's playing. In ifi ZEN STREAM/config/output devices had to be set to miniDSP Flex DL from SPDIF (which probably is the default) and restart the ZEN box. I have not changed that setting previously, I have used ZEN STREAM for quite some time connected usb to several other DACs/Roon.
I also do zen stream into flex digital. I find that the USB connection is more reliable than coax. With Spotify, I have to start streams twice with coax most of the time to get the flex to pick it up, less so with USB connection.

mike70

As someone who is new to such devices, but anticipates needing them soon, I'd be very interested in suggestions for fanless mini PCs and multichannel DACs that would serve well in such a chain.

The Intel Celeron N5105 have decent performance and good reviews. I think it have more than enough power to do standard audio DSP.

https://www.cnx-software.com/2022/0...-mini-pc-tested-with-windows-11-ubuntu-22-04/

I want to test that mini PC, but I need to add the ADC process with an audio interface to use my turntable ... maybe the ADC + DSP at the same time is too much. If someone tested that configuration, is good to know about it.

Topping recently released a multichannel DAC at a decent price.

tomtan

Forum Donor
The MiniDSP is stereo only, so you can't use it for a 4.x.4 system. You can use it if you use it just for music using a stereo input to the AVR.

You'd need to (IMO) put the AVR into "pure direct" mode, not doing any DSP, leaving that for the MiniDSP. You'd need to be able to drive the sub separately from the MIniDSP, and the Denon.

Then use Audyssy for movies, and Dirac for music.
That would be a good idea. but it doesn't seem that denon is able to easily switch from pure direct mode to non-direct mode for music and movie respectively easily.
I guess I could use the FY21AVR API to send commands to do that.

Also, wouldn't using DIRAC be more useful to drive the actual speakers more so than the subwoofers?
If all you care about is the xover and not sound quality (shakers are not about sound,are they?) you can get away with a dead cheap analog one for 50$ or less.
True, I was also looking at the DSP-LF Low Frequency DSP Controller from Dayton audio. Mostly because I want to be able to test different crossover level and compare.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be a good idea. but it doesn't seem that denon is able to easily switch from pure direct mode to non-direct mode for music and movie respectively easily.
I don't know about the Denon, but my elderly Sony AVR retains the sound field setting separately for each input. So if I select my stereo source, it is automatically set to pure direct.

Top Bottom