• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
The melted tweeters issue was reported by 1 customer only and it was fixed 2 or 3 firmware updates back. BTW, these issues reported only happens after switching from the original miniDSP Plugin (DDRC-24 or 2x4 HD) to the new miniDSP Device Console which was on BETA for the FLEX until 3 weeks ago.
I see you have some nice gear there,it's easy to measure it as is,please give it a try.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I see you have some nice gear there,it's easy to measure it as is,please give it a try.
If you point me to a good procedure on how to measure it, I can for sure do it.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If you point me to a good procedure on how to measure it, I can for sure do it.
Sure I will.
You only need to install Multitone analyzer and connect flex's output to your best ADC input (a balanced mic input will do)
(beware,you have to have all speakers and amps disconnected during measurement)

You just choose from the drop-down list your (ASIO) output (flex) and your ASIO input (ADC).
I will edit the post in a second to post a ready-made configuration for multitone,you only choose devices as I wrote above,set Play gain (start low,something like -50db for starters to see and then proceed gradually as close to 0db you can without clipping) and you're done.

Measure 1Khz sine first for the high output and then just type 50Hz on the box (or choose it by the drop-down) to measure lows.

I posted the config,you only have to change the zip extension to .dw and load it to multitone.

Attachments

• MultitoneDefault.zip
    15.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have lot of gear but a Windows PC LOL I'm a Mac guy. Multitone Analyzer is not available for macOS. The best ADC I have is the RME Fireface UCX II, though.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have lot of gear but a Windows PC LOL I'm a Mac guy. Multitone Analyzer is not available for macOS. The best ADC I have is the RME Fireface UCX II, though.
You could work miracles with RME.Pitty.

Sokel

Master Contributor
You could do the same with REW but I don't know it well enough to guide you,maybe some other friend here can.
Same procedure though.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Oh wait, I totally forgot about a HP Windows Laptop that I use only to access to my Extron equipment and to program with Extron like twice a year LOL.

IMG_7422.jpeg

I will set Multitone Analyzer up in that one later today or tomorrow which is my day off.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
You could do the same with REW but I don't know it well enough to guide you,maybe some other friend here can.
Same procedure though.

Well, with REW would be easier as it's already installed and fully working in my desk's Mac Studio, where the FLEX and the UCX II are located so I don't need to move anything, just reroute a couple of XLR cables.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Oh wait, I totally forgot about a HP Windows Laptop that I use only to access to my Extron equipment and to program with Extron like twice a year LOL.

View attachment 261736

I will set Multitone Analyzer up in that one later today or tomorrow which is my day off.
Super!Pm me or post anything you want to ask to The multitone thread,@pkane is always super helpful!

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Super!Pm me or post anything you want to ask to The multitone thread,@pkane is always super helpful!
Here you go:

1KHz No PEQ:

NO PEQ.jpg

1KHz PEQ ON:

PEQ ON.jpg

50Hz No PEQ:

50Hz NO PEQ.jpg

50Hz PEQ ON:

50Hz PEQ ON.jpg

Here is the PEQ I'm using with my subwoofer:

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 11.25.22 AM.png

For the sake of testing, here is with a 1dB GAIN, Low Shelf PEQ @ 20KHz:

1KHz 1dB Low Shelf @ 20KHz.jpg

0.70dB GAIN, Low Shelf PEQ @ 20KHz:

1KHz 0.70dB Low Shelf @ 20KHz.jpg

0.50dB GAIN, Low Shelf PEQ @ 20KHz:

1KHz 0.50dB Low Shelf @ 20KHz.jpg

....and 0.2dB, Low Shelf PEQ @ 20KHz:

1KHz 0.20dB Low Shelf @ 20KHz.jpg

Sokel

Master Contributor
Here you go:

1KHz No PEQ:

View attachment 261765

1KHz PEQ ON:

View attachment 261766

50Hz No PEQ:

View attachment 261767

50Hz PEQ ON:

View attachment 261769

View attachment 261772

View attachment 261775

View attachment 261776

View attachment 261777

View attachment 261778
You're king!

Edit:If you hit the "fit all data" and "Freq" above the chart the results will look better,like this:

index.php

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
You're king!

Edit:If you hit the "fit all data" and "Freq" above the chart the results will look better,like this:

index.php

Next time I'll do that. Looks like PEQ is putting a huge penalty in SINAD when more than 0.6dB gain is applied.

MCH

Major Contributor
Here you go:

1KHz No PEQ:

View attachment 261765

1KHz PEQ ON:

View attachment 261766

50Hz No PEQ:

View attachment 261767

50Hz PEQ ON:

View attachment 261769

View attachment 261772

View attachment 261775

View attachment 261776

View attachment 261777

View attachment 261778
Noob question: why on the most distorted measurements the even harmonics are sort of suppressed and the odd so gigantic?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The 1db one is not distorted,is clipped,as it would naturally be.
If was clipped, why I got the same results changing the Play Gain at -5dB?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Next time I'll do that. Looks like PEQ is putting a huge penalty in SINAD when more than 0.6dB gain is applied.
For first measurements are impressive,in time you'll better and better,it's a great learning tool.I have set my entire rig measuring everything (except amps,I'm not that confident).
Yep,that's what I saw too and I did a lot more and more torturing ones,like multitones,IMD,etc.
Maybe that's is what they'll fix with the next firmware.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
For first measurements are impressive,in time you'll better and better,it's a great learning tool.I have set my entire rig measuring everything (except amps,I'm not that confident).
Yep,that's what I saw too and I did a lot more and more torturing ones,like multitones,IMD,etc.
Maybe that's is what they'll fix with the next firmware.
It sucks that the software is not available for macOS as it would be better (for me at least) because I need no ASIO drivers, not switching out the FLEX or the UCX II and it would be ready to go in my desk setup at any time ;) I may need to figure out how to do it with REW, though.

Sokel

Master Contributor
If was clipped, why I got the same results changing the Play Gain at -5dB?
Doesn't matter where the Play gain is,if is passing 0db is usually clipping.
Here is an example,first one normal,second clipping (it says so also,on the low right corner):

No clip.PNG

No clip

clip.PNG

Clip.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't matter where the Play gain is,if is passing 0db is usually clipping.
Here is an example,first one normal,second clipping (it says so also,on the low right corner):

View attachment 261804

No clip

View attachment 261805

Clip.

Just so I understand what you were seeing with the Flex, are you saying that if you reduce the Flex volume such that you are no longer clipping you still saw degradation in noise and or distortion?

Michael

holbob

I'm confused too, the advice always seems to be if you apply a negative total gain of the amount of the total headroom used that stops the clipping? I allow boosts, but i'm still at -30 for most of my listening. Is it clipping?

Top Bottom