• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 434 76.0%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is no customs fees to import device such as minidsp ones in Europe.
There is only VAT to pay and DHL processing fees (about 15€).
Then the audiophonics price seems about right. It’s still a lot of money but there really are not any alternatives.
I would get the digital version to save some money but on all websites that import the minidsp it is even more expensive than the balanced version

Shipping from MINIDSP is 40 USD and you also need to pay VAT on top of that.

So the difference really is just 30-40 eur but you get a full 2y warranty period and it would be way cheaper to handle a potential RMA with a European retailer.

archerious

Any advantages of the SHD over Flex? Debating on which, I do like the appearance of the SHD more. Returned my SA30 and going for AHB2 + something for Dirac Live as it's incredible how much better the SA30 sounded with Dirac Live compared to stock.
EDIT: It seems the SHD is using AKM, that might be a plus as my LG TV has issues with high jitter causing dropouts on optical with ESS DACs like Gustard X18. The only ESS DACs that played well with my TV was SA30 so far.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MiniDSP Flex 8 just announced. 8 channel version of the Flex. I predict it will be very popular.

Looks really nice. I watched some videos on DIY speakers yesterday and thought what the best dsp for a tweeter&woofer + sub integration would be.
I think flex 8 is the answer :D

dwkdnvr

Looks really nice. I watched some videos on DIY speakers yesterday and thought what the best dsp for a tweeter&woofer + sub integration would be.
I think flex 8 is the answer :D
Yeah, it's pretty much the ideal "active multi-way speaker development' tool.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MiniDSP Flex 8 just announced. 8 channel version of the Flex. I predict it will be very popular.

Wow, wow, wow! This thing looks awesome, basically an amped up OpenDRC-DA8 with much better DAC performance, more inputs, a display and an option for Dirac.

A bit of bummer that it only runs at 96 kHz as 48 kHz would be better for FIR but it has FIR banks on the inputs which is unique and will help make those FIR taps go further.

Michael

dwkdnvr

Wow, wow, wow! This thing looks awesome, basically an amped up OpenDRC-DA8 with much better DAC performance, more inputs, a display and an option for Dirac.

A bit of bummer that it only runs at 96 kHz as 48 kHz would be better for FIR but it has FIR banks on the inputs which is unique and will help make those FIR taps go further.

Michael
Yeah, this looks pretty good. I've been struggling with wanting a Motu Ultralite Mk5 for speaker experiments, and then started thinking of the DM7, but really this is what I want for the most part. Such a great platform for active multi-way speaker development/design.

At least now we have something to point all the folks cluttering up the Topping DM7 thread towards, since this Flex 8 is pretty much what a bunch of them are asking for. (well, except for the DSD crowd)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Another homerun product!
Thanks for being awesome MiniDSP. :D

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
They are using the identical cabinet in Flex 8 as the Flex 4-channels version. So it seems because of lack of space, they have removed the inputs. Meaning you can't measure with an external sound card or connect something analogue.

They really should have used a bigger enclosure and even added more analogue inputs. A bigger enclosure, and preferably with XLR, would also have reduced the heat problems the Flex 4-channels has. It's not a unit I would leave a lot on but should probably set to standby whenever it's not used.

vodskilla

Newbie here... does this work or are there better options?

PC -> Motu M4 Audio Interface -> miniDSP Flex -> Integrated Amp -> Speakers/Sub ?

Should I take the Motu M4 out of the chain? (it is my microphone input)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How are you connecting from the audio interface to the flex. If analogue, the flex almost certainly has a better DAC.

I'd take the M4 out of the chain, but still use it for mic input.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Newbie here... does this work or are there better options?

PC -> Motu M4 Audio Interface -> miniDSP Flex -> Integrated Amp -> Speakers/Sub ?

Should I take the Motu M4 out of the chain? (it is my microphone input)
This is better:
PC -> miniDSP Flex -> power amps -> speakers/subwoofer.

vodskilla

This is better:
PC -> miniDSP Flex -> power amps -> speakers/subwoofer.
Sorry another question , should I be going

Option 1:
PC -> miniDSP flex -> power amps -> speakers
PC -> miniDPS flex -> sub

or

Option 2:

PC -> miniDSP Flex -> power amps (with LFE out) -> speakers/subwoofer.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry another question , should I be going

Option 1:
PC -> miniDSP flex -> power amps -> speakers
PC -> miniDPS flex -> sub

or

Option 2:

PC -> miniDSP Flex -> power amps (with LFE out) -> speakers/subwoofer.
If you subwoofer has internal amplification (which most have), you go straight from Flex to the subwoofer. And use power amps for the speakers.

So I received my Flex yesterday and started my sub integration attempts with REW and Umik-2.

It was an arduous journey. I crossed my KEF R3 and SVS 3000 Micro at 60Hz. Thank god for PEQ on the SVS sub. My room modals were like crazy. I actually had to remove the sub from a corner of the room and place it roughly 2 feet from the long room wall.

The toughest part was trying to EQ peaks and troughs between 60 and 300 Hz. Above 500 Hz the KEFs are extremely flat which is a good thing because Flex only has a 10 band PEQ.

It was a solid first attempt which took me like 3+ hours. And now I am getting used to a new and much flatter FR curve

Top Bottom