• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 433 76.0%

• Total voters

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Both the Flex and the audio interface are USB slave devices. You can't connect them together with USB, but you can connect them both to your PC at the same time.

What use case are you needing here?

Well, now I have one analog source ... that goes to the analog input in Flex ... but maybe in the future I'll have one more.

As I have an audio interface I thought in using it with the USB input, in other way, I'll need to use an analog preamp / switch. It's not the end of the world, only wondering to not add the preamp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, now I have one analog source ... that goes to the analog input in Flex ... but maybe in the future I'll have one more.

As I have an audio interface I thought in using it with the USB input, in other way, I'll need to use an analog preamp / switch. It's not the end of the world, only wondering to not add the preamp.
OK - no you can't put analogue into the Flex using your audio interface.

But a simple/cheap RCA switch will do the job. No need for a preamp.

mike70

OK - no you can't put analogue into the Flex using your audio interface.

But a simple/cheap RCA switch will do the job. No need for a preamp.

Yes, I see ... something like the schiit sys.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I need this exact unit + Dirac Live. Then I could sandwich it between my PC and Preamp and be able to have a corrected FR for my turntable also, instead of just digital sources which is my current reality using REW through my PC :(

How do other people solve this issue I'm describing?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I will be solving the issue you are describing with the Mini DSP Flex. Order to be placed when back in stock.

You could do the same at lower cost with the 2x4 HD. But Noise/distortion is not as good, and no volume control - plus it has connections on two sides, so a bit messy for cabling.

DDF

I need this exact unit + Dirac Live. Then I could sandwich it between my PC and Preamp and be able to have a corrected FR for my turntable also, instead of just digital sources which is my current reality using REW through my PC :(

I plug my phono pre out into a USB A/D connected to the PC. In windows select that as a source each time when listening to vinyl. I do the same with an external chromecast, plugged into an optical in to USB out converter. ESI U24XL ($120) handles both analog and optical in as inputs to USB out. It's A/D blows away vinyl SNR, sounds great in this application. Local music + streaming through PC as usual. All of it routes through EAPO for room EQ for all sources. Works dandy. Be careful not to overload the A/D from the phono pre. That part can be tricky.

MCH

Major Contributor

Phono stage > usb card > R Pi running LMS > wifi > r pi running moode/camilladsp (DSP) > dac > amp.
I plan to buy a flex but will still keep this because of no cables need (vinyl rig is to the other side of the room)

New to minidsp in general. Is there any use of the flex over the 2x4hd for sub eq/ time alignment? I obviously prefer the look of this unit but curious if it is worth for sub mgmt alone in home theater?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So if I were to use this, would I set the volume to 100 and never adjust and do all volume on avr?
If you want to, yes. It's a choice :)
I run mine like a DAC at 100% into an integrated amp and use the volume dial there, because ... i can reach it. No need to find and press a tiny knob in a dark room.

Ultrasonic

So if I were to use this, would I set the volume to 100 and never adjust and do all volume on avr?
You'd set a fixed volume but you may want it to be -10 dB rather than max. to provide headroom for EQ boosts applied by Dirac Live.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Appreciate all of your replies, I'll pick up a MiniDSP Flex when they're back in stock and use it as a replacement for my Schiit Modius. Unless I'm mistaken, I will then be able to run all of my digital sources through the Flex as well as have the output of my phono stage routed through the Flex so that all of my stereo sources are output using a single Dirac profile that I can configure with my laptop and UMIK-1. I don't see a review of the MiniDSP Flex on ASR, but I'm assuming the SINAD will be similar to the 114db SINAD of my Modius.

That all sound right?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate all of your replies, I'll pick up a MiniDSP Flex when they're back in stock and use it as a replacement for my Schiit Modius. Unless I'm mistaken, I will then be able to run all of my digital sources through the Flex as well as have the output of my phono stage routed through the Flex so that all of my stereo sources are output using a single Dirac profile that I can configure with my laptop and UMIK-1.
Right.

I don't see a review of the MiniDSP Flex on ASR, but I'm assuming the SINAD will be similar to the 114db SINAD of my Modius.
There you go:

That all sound right?
I think so, yes. SINAD will obviously drop using analog (still CD quality), but digital it's 114.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Right.

There you go:

I think so, yes. SINAD will obviously drop using analog (still CD quality), but digital it's 114.
Yep, LP SINAD is <80db anyway, so it won't matter for my sole analog source.

Thanks again.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hello all,
Looking at the measurements, seems that the only "weak" point of the flex is the IMD. I am trying to understand what this means in real life but I don't see it has been discussed in the thread, sorry if I am wrong.

My understanding of this is very limited, but 90db seem to me really a lot and nothing to worry about, but i might be missing something... Are there situations with real music that this could generate an audible effect that a normal person would notice? I don't know, for instance if you are listening to something with a lot of percussion at low frequencies, could this distorsion generate audible artifacts at higher frequencies? (I hope I am not saying something very very stupid).

Additionally, just to make sure I understand how this works and to learn. Amir's imd graph and multitone are taken at -0.5 dB volume, is it expected that for instance at -6db volume the imd level is still at the same 90db and that at, for instance, -20db or -30db volume the imd would already be buried in the noise? Or this is not how it works and we would still be having some distortion adding to the noise at those volume levels? What I am basically asking is how the imd graphs would look if done with the volume at -6db or at -20db for instance. (I don't know if lowering the incoming signal as amir measurement is done is equivalent to lowering the volume).

Thank you for your comments.

Top Bottom