• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

ofrappier

Hi,

I need a DSP like FLEX, but out of stock....

It would be nice to measure/review this alternative : FIR DSP 408 :

Regards,

Olivier F.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Speced SINAD is quite a bit below the Flex with about 86. Otherwise looks like a nice box. On the other hand, if the IMD issues of the Flex are indeed real, the difference is really not that large.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don’t think that is has a fan. Consumption is 20W.
One of the users comments is about a noisy fan ... maybe Thomann messed the messages ... but read th user comments is the first thing I do.

Ultrasonic

Hi,

Regards,

Olivier F.

If you really can't wait to buy something then miniDSP have the older 2x4 HD model in stock and may be suitable depending what you have in mind.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect the Flex is available in less than 4 to 8 weeks again. I would wait. But as @Ultrasonic said, if you just need to integrate a subwoofer, the 2x4HD might be it. Also there is the MiniDSP SHD.

But i would wait. Any day now ... ;-)

giphy_0.gif

If you want the device measured, consider buying and shipping it to Amir for measurement if possible, i'm sure he'll be interested.

Last edited:

5-pot-fan

Didn’t I confirm this for you like months ago?
Sorry for any misunderstanding on my part - but I did not get that from your reply and needed more assurance. As they are out of stock for now the query is moot - but then a new product from someone else is likely to turn up and I may have a different query!

Pengweng

Hello ASR (first post),

Thought a bit of shipping info might be useful for anyone who is waiting on one of these. Apologies for cross posting in both threads.

Ordered and paid for a Flex (RCA option) on MiniDSP site 17 Feb, just before it became clear that MiniDSP didn’t have them in stock to ship. No news until two days ago (16 March) when I got a shipping notification from DHL and then confirmation a few hours later from MiniDSP. Sticker on the parcel shows it left HK 16/03. I paid the import fees on DHL site yesterday (17th), very straightforward, and it arrived just now (18th). I’m in the north of England.

So they are shipping back orders now and they arrive fast. I hope this means they’ll be available for new orders soon too if you want one and haven’t ordered yet. I'd have liked more communication from MiniDSP on this post-order but it was clear enough what was happening from their website.

Now looking forward to setting up etc. Went without Dirac in first instance then will probably upgrade to Dirac plugin at some point, rather than paying extra for it to be shipped with something that can be upgraded remotely, saving approx. £30 in import fees. I think various people pointed this out up thread so thanks to them for that.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thought a bit of shipping info might be useful
This thread is for discussing the review/measurements. Continue shipping and availability banter here:

Spoiler: Everyone will get one! :cool:

Omar Cumming

Question:

I don't see on the MiniDsp website that the Dirac license can be ordered later, can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Cheers

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question:

I don't see on the MiniDsp website that the Dirac license can be ordered later, can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Cheers

Michael

Pengweng

This thread is for discussing the review/measurements.
Apologies! please excuse the newbie mistake.

I suppose could be seen as relevant to the review thread after all, as I ordered just after and partly as a result of reading the measurements and follow up discussion, as others may have done, and that was of course exactly when (and probably why) MiniDSP ran out of stock!

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here you go my dude:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Draki

Hi,

Regards,

Olivier F.

mike70

Confirmed the noisy fan ... and apparently ... very noisy.

In that kind of device I think the dbx PA2 is the best and also very cheap. I'll wait for the minidsp because it have the preamp function with remote control.

https://dbxpro.com/en/products/driverack-pa2

mike70

Somebody knows if the USB input works with an audio interface (like Scarlett 2i2 / motu M2)?
Supposedly it works for a PC as input.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Somebody knows if the USB input works with an audio interface (like Scarlett 2i2 / motu M2)?
Supposedly it works for a PC as input.
Both the Flex and the audio interface are USB slave devices. You can't connect them together with USB, but you can connect them both to your PC at the same time.

What use case are you needing here?

Top Bottom