• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

5-pot-fan

This should work fine. I digitized my vinyls for a long time this way.
I have also done the same, but not with the MiniDSP Flex. Are you saying that you use/have used the MiniDSP Flex to do this?
I am hoping for confirmatory experience that this product will work in the same way - preferably with excellent results! (well, as far as vinyl recordings can be ...)

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
well, as far as vinyl recordings can be

... the same as digital sources in my system :) ... or at least, not subjectively worst than digital. You can close your eyes and think that's my CD player / DAC sounding.

With good mastering records, clean process with a RCM and then forget about pops, clicks or background noise between tracks. At my listening position and to my ears ... with an oscilloscope maybe is different ... but I don't listen with oscilloscope.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, can anyone make a confirmation screenshot of the analog input used as a ADC to record from? I still don't believe it's possible for the Flex.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a Flex but I've recorded with multiple miniDSP products with bi-directional USB audio (SHD, 2X4HD, MCHStreamer) and am 99.9% positive you can record the analog input. A few hints below.

1) On the Flex you need to set the input to analog.
2) Any processing on the Flex will be applied to the recorded signal. This includes volume control and is likely why @rbachl was reporting low levels.
3) It is a bit counter intuitive but the Flex will present itself as a 4 channel input / 2 channel output device, however the 4 input channels are actually the processed output channels of the Flex. Therefore you need to have your routing matrix setup and select the appropriate output channels to record.

Michael

5-pot-fan

I don't have a Flex but I've recorded with multiple miniDSP products with bi-directional USB audio (SHD, 2X4HD, MCHStreamer) and am 99.9% positive you can record the analog input. A few hints below.

1) On the Flex you need to set the input to analog.
2) Any processing on the Flex will be applied to the recorded signal. This includes volume control and is likely why @rbachl was reporting low levels.
3) It is a bit counter intuitive but the Flex will present itself as a 4 channel input / 2 channel output device, however the 4 input channels are actually the processed output channels of the Flex. Therefore you need to have your routing matrix setup and select the appropriate output channels to record.

Michael
Thank you for the update. Getting there, but perhaps not close enough yet to spend the money. If it does this, with all it's other features, I would be a happy owner! I will send a query to the manufacturers/producers and see what response I can get from them.
By the way, I have read your RPI4+Camilla tutorial (also thanks!) and will continue with it and try some experiments.

mike70

I used the Pi4 / Audacity with a Focusrite Scarlett to play vinil with digital output ... but it doesn't have enough CPU power ... it lost data intermittently.

As streamer / DSP with moode / Camilla it works well.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have also done the same, but not with the MiniDSP Flex. Are you saying that you use/have used the MiniDSP Flex to do this?
I am hoping for confirmatory experience that this product will work in the same way - preferably with excellent results! (well, as far as vinyl recordings can be ...)
Yeah i have the Flex.

Harryharryharry

Any ideas if it's possible to create a 5/12v trigger out with this?

I use the usb type A port of the SHD as a workaround but but not sure if this is possible for the usb B port available on the flex?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(reposted in the other Flex thread)

5-pot-fan

Thank you for the update. Getting there, but perhaps not close enough yet to spend the money. If it does this, with all it's other features, I would be a happy owner! I will send a query to the manufacturers/producers and see what response I can get from them.
By the way, I have read your RPI4+Camilla tutorial (also thanks!) and will continue with it and try some experiments.
Analog in ->USB out
I asked MiniDSP about this and received 2 replies, the most relevant being the following:-

"It's extremely simple. There are 4 analog outputs on the FLex. Correct? Well, the USB audio recording on the pc is a COPY of these 4 x analog outputs. Make sense?
So any processing you applied in the chain to these analog outputs will show up also in the USB recording. Hence our recommendation when you do recording to CLEAR ALL FILTERS on the DSP so you have clean ANALOG in, USB out. No Dirac filter, No EQ, No delay. Maybe try on your flex? It takes 2min to see what we mean. :) "

Not yet having taken the plunge I can't confirm this, but when the units become available again I will be a buyer and if no-one else has reported on this topic in the meantime I will do so.

rodtor

Forum Donor
The following message is now posted on the MiniDSP site regarding the Flex:

"STOCK UPDATE (11/03/2022) : To stop confusion, we are putting the product out of stock till we have stock and are able to ship. It's better for customers who are ordering now. Thanks for your understanding and patience. If you haven't placed your order yet, please check back on this link in mid April."

So, it won't be available for some time.

RHO

Major Contributor
The following message is now posted on the MiniDSP site regarding the Flex:

"STOCK UPDATE (11/03/2022) : To stop confusion, we are putting the product out of stock till we have stock and are able to ship. It's better for customers who are ordering now. Thanks for your understanding and patience. If you haven't placed your order yet, please check back on this link in mid April."

So, it won't be available for some time.
That's a shame. Here I was still hoping to be able to order the digital version next month or so.

mike70

That's a shame. Here I was still hoping to be able to order the digital version next month or so.

I'm in the same boat ... Minidsp said something about the price?

Is the same standard version without internal DAC, so I think it must be on the same price tag as the standard version or less.

RHO

Major Contributor
I'm in the same boat ... Minidsp said something about the price?

Is the same standard version without internal DAC, so I think it must be on the same price tag as the standard version or less.
I have no idea about the price.

ririt

Is there anyone using the FLEX as a DAC+DSP connected simultaneously to (power amp + loudspeakers) and to an headphone amp either through XLR or RCA? It may provide a nice alternative to the RME ADI Dac FS to EQ loudspeakers response and headphones ….

jaguone

Is there anyone using the FLEX as a DAC+DSP connected simultaneously to (power amp + loudspeakers) and to an headphone amp either through XLR or RCA? It may provide a nice alternative to the RME ADI Dac FS to EQ loudspeakers response and headphones ….
This is my potential use case with powered speakers+ a headphone amp. I'd like to be able to add a subwoofer, but then more outputs are needed...

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Adding a headphone amp into the mix is not a great story with the Flex if you want to (or ever want to) use subs. Since my ONLY source for my Flex is my Mac, what I do is this: Mac > USB > Topping D10s then split optical to Flex and Analog to Topping L30 headphone amp. Yes, that's an extra $100 you'll need to insert in the middle, and it also means the headphone amp is also limited to the single USB input of the D10s. It works for me, but is likely far less than ideal for most people.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Analog in ->USB out
I asked MiniDSP about this and received 2 replies, the most relevant being the following:-

"It's extremely simple. There are 4 analog outputs on the FLex. Correct? Well, the USB audio recording on the pc is a COPY of these 4 x analog outputs. Make sense?
So any processing you applied in the chain to these analog outputs will show up also in the USB recording. Hence our recommendation when you do recording to CLEAR ALL FILTERS on the DSP so you have clean ANALOG in, USB out. No Dirac filter, No EQ, No delay. Maybe try on your flex? It takes 2min to see what we mean. :) "

Not yet having taken the plunge I can't confirm this, but when the units become available again I will be a buyer and if no-one else has reported on this topic in the meantime I will do so.
Didn’t I confirm this for you like months ago?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Another idea that might work for some people for headphone amps... Maybe use a passive splitter (RCA or balanced depending on your Flex) switch box on two of the outputs from the Flex to switch between mains amp and the headphone amp. Then use one of the 4 config presets for when you switch the splitter to the headphone amp (disable other 2 outputs and crossovers, and apply DSP filters for your specific headphones). It'd be a manual switch, but it's pretty cheap to implement, and you get headphone EQ thru the Flex. It's still extra external gear though.

jeffbook

As far as headphone use with miniDSP products is concerned, I do a variation of this theme. I use a Topping D10s as a USB bridge from my laptop and run the TOSlink output to my 2x4HD units and the analog out to my headphone amp. DSP for the headphones is applied via MathAduio Headphone EQ in Foobar2000.

Top Bottom