• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 434 76.0%

• Total voters

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, I just got my Flex balanced today, loaded with FW 1.23, plugin v1.21. Definitely still has IR learning capability. Reprogrammed it to my old Apple remote and everything is fine. Note, you can't learn/program the standby function.

View attachment 188338

Just wait the remote IR function will behave very weirdly very soon.

It’s a left over from the 2*4 plugin.

Zed

It is possible. You might get some noise since the cable is not shielded. The only way you'll know is to bust out the soldering iron and try.
Gotcha, thank you. This is the cable btw.

cc: @Ultrasonic

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
500$ cheaper;);)
1641543257263.gif

Zed

There is no advantage of the flex over the SHD other than Bluetooth as far as I can tell.
Cheaper, smaller, and I believe there would be a larger resale market for the flex given that less people might want/need a built-in streamer. Curious to know others’ opinions on the last point.

Last edited:

TimW

Major Contributor
500$ cheaper;);)
Cheaper, smaller, and I believe there would be a larger resale market for the flex given that less people might want/need a built-in streamer. Curious to know others’ opinions on the last point.
Right, I was replying to Sonny:
Is there any advantage (other than slightly lower price and compact size) to getting this one over the SHD?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
The IR codes for Flex are also available in the manual page 28.

Following a support request with miniDSP, they have confirmed that they are in contact with Logitech to have the IR codes added in their database.
Following a support request with Logitech, they have claimed yesterday (21 February) that Flex is already in their database and needs to be added with
Manufacturer: minidsp
Model: miniDSP FLEX

If you want to enter IR codes to Logitech Harmony which are not available from the remote control or the Logitech database:
Since IR codes cannot be entered directly to Logitech Harmony, the IR codes need to be generated by a different device so that Logitech Harmony can learn from the IR command itself. I am using an USB dongle called LearnIR which can receive and transmit IR, https://www.analysir.com/blog/product/learnir-advanced-infrared-learner-module/ There is a web page translating the hexadecimal NEC codes into the correct format, which can then be edited in the library file of the LearnIR software, https://www.analysir.com/hex2nec.php

Thanks for the update @rbachl !

The flex is indeed now in the database:)
But you need to enter "Minidsp flex" in the model not just "Flex" (it does not find it just with the keyword "Flex"...)

Last edited:

Sonny1

Yep, but you have to get special cables (no big deal) it’s $75 for balanced, Dirac and mic separate but it’s still about $500 more for the SHD. That’s why I asked, is there something I’m not seeing? Seems like the Flex is a better option.

Reactions: Zed
D

Deleted member 23424

Can't shake my fears over the 48khz limitations and that distortion in Amir's test.

I mean, when I say "can't" I literally just sold my DAC and am ordering a Flex in the morning.

But still..... I'll be spending the next month worrying about the 48khz/distortion thingy,

That's a whole month without listening to any music because my other DAC is single ended and my amp is balanced.

Gonna be a long month

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Smaller isn't necessarily an advantage. On pure aesthetics I'd rather have my SHD over a Flex, although depending on where someone may want to put a piece of equipment the size of the Flex may well become an advantage.

An SHD is still the superior product, going by connectivity (unless Bluetooth is wanted), the built in streamer, running Dirac Live at 96 kHz, and I'd say overall in terms of the measured performance data published on this site. Oh, and Roon Ready status for those interested in this. Whether it's worth the significant extra cost for these differences is another question entirely though.

Ultrasonic

I mean, when I say "can't" I literally just sold my DAC and am ordering a Flex in the morning.

I trust you realise they're out of stock currently?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ultrasonic

Last edited:

mike70

I think many people is using the flex (unbalanced / balanced version) as a preamp, replacing their actual DACs directly to a power amp.

I'm wondering if the future digital only version (using your own DAC) would be used as a preamp or the digital outputs will be fixed and you need a DAC with digital volume. Well, 2 stereo DACs with volume if you plan to use subwoofer and main speakers.

Ultrasonic

I think many people is using the flex (unbalanced / balanced version) as a preamp, replacing their actual DACs directly to a power amp.

I'm wondering if the future digital only version (using your own DAC) would be used as a preamp or the digital outputs will be fixed and you need a DAC with digital volume. Well, 2 stereo DACs with volume if you plan to use subwoofer and main speakers.

It would be logical to use the digital Flex to adjust volume just as with the analogue models. Note that this is essential if more than two independent outputs of the Flex are being used for subwoofer integration.

mike70

It would be logical to use the digital Flex to adjust volume just as with the analogue models. Note that this is essential if more than two independent outputs of the Flex are being used for subwoofer integration.

Yes, it would.
But, using 2 separate DACs (mains + sub) is not as easy, that creates a phase difference. It's not a difference in volume, ok (unless the DACs have a digital volume and you don't disable it).

Maybe Dirac can take care about that phase differences, I don't know.

The use of the digital version seems to have some unknown implications for me or maybe I'm simply over thinking :)

Top Bottom