• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 431 75.9%

• Total voters

Sonny1

I was going to order the full size SHD model when I saw this one. Is there any advantage (other than slightly lower price and compact size) to getting this one over the SHD? Let’s assume both have Dirac.

In my system, I would use this as a preamp for a system with active subs, streaming music and some EQ for my passive xover speakers. I might go full active eventually but this means more amps and the system sounds very good as is. The bass management and Dirac is what excites me most. Just want to get the best version. Thanks!

amper42

Major Contributor
SHD has a bit more processing power and supports 96kHz with Dirac
SHD Digital Signal Processor
32-bit Floating point Analog Devices SHARC ADSP21489 / 450MHz
Internal sample rate: 96kHz
It also supports standard XLR connectors

Flex supports 48kHz with Dirac and it's on back order until end of March at the earliest.
It requires a set of TRS to XLR cables.
Flex Digital Signal Processor Engine
Analog Devices - Floating point DSP SHARC ADSP21489 @ 400MHZ

If you need something soon the SHD might have an edge?

TimW

Major Contributor
I was going to order the full size SHD model when I saw this one. Is there any advantage (other than slightly lower price and compact size) to getting this one over the SHD? Let’s assume both have Dirac.

In my system, I would use this as a preamp for a system with active subs, streaming music and some EQ for my passive xover speakers. I might go full active eventually but this means more amps and the system sounds very good as is. The bass management and Dirac is what excites me most. Just want to get the best version. Thanks!
There is no advantage of the flex over the SHD other than Bluetooth as far as I can tell.

Zed

12-ga speaker wire will go from your Hypex amp to you speakers, and it will work fine. You’ll need a pair of TRS-to-XLR cables to go from the miniDSP to the Hypex amp.

Rick “line level not the same as speaker level” Denney
Right. Thanks. The main question though was about running from the flex to the sub, using the 12AWG wire, over such a long run.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Is that all of the potential commands? No direct input source?
Flex still has learning capabilities but NOT for direct sources :(
That's a big issue for me as I am using an harmony hub with activities to handle everything.
Got in touch with minidsp support about 2 weeks ago that indicated that they were in touch with logitech to add the Flex in Logitech Device database with the whole set of commands.
But as of today, Flex is still not added to Logitech database yet :(
Thus, I cannot have a given source automatically selected when launching an activity from the harmony remote (while it worked like a charm with ddrc-24).
Need to manually iterate over sources using the flex remote.
Let's wait and see.

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But as of today, Flex is still not added to Logitech database yet :(
You have seen this?

Seems all Logitech needs to do is to look at that table to get it done. Maybe you can hack it into your remote yourself?

Ultrasonic

Right. Thanks. The main question though was about running from the flex to the sub, using the 12AWG wire, over such a long run.

It wasn't clear to me from your original post where you intended the Hypex amp to be, and therefore how long you intended the 12 AWG speaker cable to be and how long you intended the connection between the Flex and the amp to be?

Zed

It wasn't clear to me from your original post where you intended the Hypex amp to be, and therefore how long you intended the 12 AWG speaker cable to be and how long you intended the connection between the Flex and the amp to be?
So the run from the flex to the amp is a few feet. It’s the run from the flex to the sub that’s 30 ft or so, using 12AWG. That’s the run i have questions about, regarding signal strength, etc…

Ultrasonic

So the run from the flex to the amp is a few feet. It’s the run from the flex to the sub that’s 30 ft or so, using 12AWG. That’s the run i have questions about, regarding signal strength, etc…
You can't use speaker cable to connect from the Flex to the amp. You need a long interconnect instead.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
You have seen this?

Seems all Logitech needs to do is to look at that table to get it done. Maybe you can hack it into your remote yourself?
Unfortunately, there no way to enter IR codes in harmony products:(.
Only IR learning from existing remotes.
Logitech removed this feature 15 years ago.
The only way is to wait for Logitech to update their database.

Zed

You can't use speaker cable to connect from the Flex to the amp. You need a long interconnect instead.
I see. So for the sub (not the mains amp), I can’t terminate the 12AWG with TRS on the flex side, and RCA on the sub side? If not, I’d have to go wireless.

Ultrasonic

I see. So for the sub (not the mains amp), I can’t terminate the 12AWG with TRS on the flex side, and RCA on the sub side? If not, I’d have to go wireless.

Checking back I realise I hadn't fully understood your question. I thought your intended signal path was Flex -> Hypex Power Amp -> Passive Subwoofer. Is it something else?

Zed

Checking back I realise I hadn't fully understood your question. I thought your intended signal path was Flex -> Hypex Power Amp -> Passive Subwoofer. Is it something else?
Yes, sorry for being unclear. The paths are:

Flex Out 1/2 TRS —> Hypex 1/2 XLR —> Speaker Cable —> Mains L/R

Flex Out 3/4 TRS —> 30 ft 12AWG w/ TRS/RCA terminations —> Sub RCA

I want to make sure that the sub run is viable, in terms of terminating the cable properly, and running it that long distance.

Last edited:

Ultrasonic

Yes, sorry for being unclear. The paths are:

Flex Out 1/2 TRS —> Hypex 1/2 XLR —> Speaker Cable —> Mains L/R

Flex Out 3 TRS —> 30 ft 12AWG w/ TRS/RCA terminations —> Sub RCA

I want to make sure that the sub run is viable, in terms of terminating the cable properly, and running it that long distance.

So it is an active subwoofer?

I'm assuming your 12AWG speaker cable has two conductors running parallel to each other? This is designed to carry the significant current needed to drive passive speakers, but has no shielding. The sort of cable you want will carry a signal with low voltage and tiny current, and so needs nothing like the same cross-sectional area but should be shielded. We're talking signal ('line') level cable here, just like the one between your Flex and Hypex amp.

Last edited:

Zed

So it is an active subwoofer?

I'm assuming your 12AWG speaker cable has two conductors running parallel to each other? This is designed to carry the significant current needed to drive passive speakers, but has no shielding. The sort of cable you want will carry a signal with low voltage and tiny current, and so needs nothing like the same cross-sectional area but should be shielded. We're talking signal ('line') level cable here, just like the one between your Flex and Hypex amp.

Something like this:

Yes, it’s an active sub, which has both line level rca and speaker inputs (svs sb-1000). I use the speaker terminals currently because it’s connected to a vintage receiver with mono summed center channel speaker outputs for the sub. I realize that normally it would be a low voltage cable for a line level in/out to the sub, but since this cable is already in place, and running through walls, I was hoping to repurpose it if possible. It’s a monoprice cable, that has shielding, but i’m not sure it’s the same type of shielding. Could the speaker cable be terminated with TRS and RCA?

Last edited:

rbachl

Unfortunately, there no way to enter IR codes in harmony products:(.
Only IR learning from existing remotes.
Logitech removed this feature 15 years ago.
The only way is to wait for Logitech to update their database.

The IR codes for Flex are also available in the manual page 28.

Following a support request with miniDSP, they have confirmed that they are in contact with Logitech to have the IR codes added in their database.
Following a support request with Logitech, they have claimed yesterday (21 February) that Flex is already in their database and needs to be added with
Manufacturer: minidsp
Model: miniDSP FLEX

If you want to enter IR codes to Logitech Harmony which are not available from the remote control or the Logitech database:
Since IR codes cannot be entered directly to Logitech Harmony, the IR codes need to be generated by a different device so that Logitech Harmony can learn from the IR command itself. I am using an USB dongle called LearnIR which can receive and transmit IR, https://www.analysir.com/blog/product/learnir-advanced-infrared-learner-module/ There is a web page translating the hexadecimal NEC codes into the correct format, which can then be edited in the library file of the LearnIR software, https://www.analysir.com/hex2nec.php

Ultrasonic

Yes, it’s an active sub, which has both line level rca and speaker inputs (svs sb-1000). I use the speaker terminals currently because it’s connected to a vintage receiver with mono summed center channel speaker outputs for the sub. I realize that normally it would be a low voltage cable for a line level in/out to the sub, but since this cable is already in place, and running through walls, I was hoping to repurpose it if possible.

I wouldn't.

Practically it would be a challenge since soldering two 12AWG wires into an RCA plug would be far from easy! You'd need some sort of thinner wires to link the two I guess.

Mains hum would be the principle concern of using the unshielded cables, although I can't say I've ever tried what you're asking about to comment on how it would actually work out.

Reactions: Zed

DWPress

Forum Donor
Flex Out 3 TRS —> 30 ft 12AWG w/ TRS/RCA terminations —> Sub RCA

It is possible. You might get some noise since the cable is not shielded. The only way you'll know is to bust out the soldering iron and try.

Reactions: Zed
Top Bottom