• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 431 75.9%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Accuracy of FR changes applied?
Any owner can measure that and report back. Please let me spend my time and resources on things you all can't measure.

robpbg

I wonder if Dirac is enabled if you still get end to end 96 kHz? would be interesting to see

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain to me why this and the Onkyo TX-RZ50 that Amir reviewed today are in the same category? I know this was asked above, but no one seemed to answer it. Why is the Minidsp Flex considered AV? It doesn't do HDMI nor does it have the ability to decode any of the codecs in which AV generally comes. From the comments I see how it could be implemented into a music listening set up but I can't seem to figure out how one would use it as an AV processor in the same way one would use an AVR (sans the power amp section, etc.).

I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really feel like I must be missing something here. From my experience with the forums I know there are some insanely smart people here who understand all of this WAY better than I do. What am I missing?

I use Toslink from my TV to the flex, in a way it acts as my audio processor in many ways an AVR does but requires a bit more elbow grease.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
I would buy this if it could do three things:

1. The DSP could be use to add RIAA equalisation to the analogue input.

2. It could be programmed to perform dynamic loudness as the volume changes (like the RME ADI-2 DAC)

3. It could perform as a USB interface so a computer sees both its inputs and outputs, allowing routing by software such as Audio Hijack.

Can anyone tell me if any/all of these are possible?

Many thanks,

James

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning

2. It could be programmed to perform dynamic loudness as the volume changes (like the RME ADI-2 DAC)

3. It could perform as a USB interface so a computer sees both its inputs and outputs, allowing routing by software such as Audio Hijack.

Many thanks,

James
RIAA: YES (also 40dB gain for MM is possible)
dyn loudness: NO (most you could do is 4 presets for 4 volume levels)
USB interface: NO only output, input just samples the minidsp outputs

miero

USB interface: NO only output, input just samples the minidsp outputs
Recording from 4ch USB input of Flex is for monitoring DSP outputs (before they are sent to DAC).

But if only 2 output channels are used and no eq is applied on input, then other two output channels can monitor/record unchanged inputs.

Ultrasonic

I just saw your Onkyo review. Appreciate that you also test crossover at 80 Hz. Can you measure that with flex too?

Thanks!

What aspect were you interested in? I doubt getting the crossover shapes right it at all demanding and will just be 'right'?

I've used crossover filters on miniDSPs for subwoofer integration. Given these are applied to in-room speaker and subwoofer responses that are a long way from flat, small variations from perfect filter shape wouldn't really matter. What would matter I suppose is significant 'leakage' of sound beyond the intended fall-off but I have seen no evidence of this being an issue myself.

I appreciate crossover performance would be more critical between higher frequency drivers in an active speaker but I'd still be pretty shocked if the Flex's performance wasn't easily 'good enough'.

Ultrasonic

There was some discussion about this earlier in this thread that it would be worth you checking out. It would be wrong to think you can simply replace a phono pre-amp with a Flex. You may well be able to generate the required EQ curve but signal gain and impedance matching remain important considerations.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What aspect were you interested in? I doubt getting the crossover shapes right it at all demanding and will just be 'right'?

I've used crossover filters on miniDSPs for subwoofer integration. Given these are applied to in-room speaker and subwoofer responses that are a long way from flat, small variations from perfect filter shape wouldn't really matter. What would matter I suppose is significant 'leakage' of sound beyond the intended fall-off but I have seen no evidence of this being an issue myself.

I appreciate crossover performance would be more critical between higher frequency drivers in an active speaker but I'd still be pretty shocked if the Flex's performance wasn't easily 'good enough'.
Linearity of direct sound is important till 100Hz or so from my experience, my electric crossovers translate into proper accoustical ones.

Ultrasonic

You can't do this I'm afraid but you can save up to four different EQ presets that are easy to switch between, so having different ones for say quiet, normal and loud listening levels would be a possibility.

Ultrasonic

Edit: I see they have a plan to release an all digital version of this. Isn't that redundant with the SHD Studio?

Edit 2: I think I've answered my own question. Apparently the SHD Studio is equipped with DIRAC already, and is twice the price essentially. Though the SHD does also have a headphone output, as well.

The three key areas of differences between digital Flex and SHD Studio would seem to be I/O differences, that the SHD Studio has music streaming functionality and that it runs at 96 kHz with Dirac Live vs 48 kHz on the Flex.

I'm not sure if we know what price the digital Flex will be yet? Note that the default listed price for the SHD Studio includes a UMIK-1, whereas the Flex prices don't.

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
There was some discussion about this earlier in this thread that it would be worth you checking out. It would be wrong to think you can simply replace a phono pre-amp with a Flex. You may well be able to generate the required EQ curve but signal gain and impedance matching remain important considerations.
Ah I missed that, thanks. I only need RIAA - impedance and gain are handled elsewhere

antcollinet

Master Contributor

Many thanks,

James
RIAA is useless unless they also provide a 40+ dB analogue gain - which is not possible in DSP.

I've been told that USB input is available on other MiniDSP units - but have no personal experience. Your best bet is to ask these questions in the MiniDSP forums.

rbachl

End to end yes but at some point it’s downsampled to 48 and then upsampled to 96 again.

End to end applies only to the digital version, which is not yet available.
The manual tells that the output has samples at 48 kHz when Dirac is used:
"The sample rate on the digital outputs is 96 kHz if using the miniDSP-2x4-HD plugin (without Dirac
Live) and 48 kHz if using the DDRC-24 plugin (with Dirac Live)."

Ultrasonic

I've been told that USB input is available on other MiniDSP units

Errr, surely the relevant point is that USB connectivity is available on the Flex?

(Yes it's available on many other miniDSP products too.)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
End to end applies only to the digital version, which is not yet available.
The manual tells that the output has samples at 48 kHz when Dirac is used:
"The sample rate on the digital outputs is 96 kHz if using the miniDSP-2x4-HD plugin (without Dirac
Live) and 48 kHz if using the DDRC-24 plugin (with Dirac Live)."
No you can definitely capture and play in 192KHz, it’s just at some point in the chain things will be down or up sampled to 96/48KHz.

Hayabusa

Top Bottom