• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 434 76.0%

• Total voters

ehabheikal

Firstly all of the miniDSP 'plugin' features work in parallel with Dirac Live, which included the crossover filters you asked about but also crucially the time delays too. This is critical for subwoofer integration as the optimal setup comes from setting these two manually first, and then running Dirac Live on the resulting main speakers plus subwoofer(s) combination.

For context I went from applying REW filters on a 2x4 HD to using Dirac Live on an SHD. One key difference is that Dirac Live is set up to be based on using measured data at multiple measurement locations and targeting a form of average, whereas most people just generate REW filters at a single location (I did). It is possible to use multiple measurement locations in REW, take an average (ideally weighted to the MLP) and then generate filters for this but it is easier to do so in Dirac Live. This for me is probably the single biggest difference which I do thing gives better results. Overall DL is probably more accessible and easier to use for most the REW too. (Although personally as I'm familiar with REW there are some aspects of DL I don't like in comparison.)

The other significant technical difference between DL and filters in REW or Roon is the improvements DL filters bring to the impulse response (time-domain performance). It's easy to confirm with measurements that improvements are made but I still think it's open for debate how audible such improvements may be (others here will know more to comment). It's impossible to only apply the phase corrections in DL but not the amplitude changes and so not really possible to try to test to assess this.

Thanx for the detailed answer, now i need to decide if the difference between shd and flex make me upgrade. I am not in usa so i pay more to get it here. Here is the home of the Three Pyramids of Giza.

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is the difference between this and the SHD other than the streamer ability and loss of bluetooth on shd?
The SHD has additional input/output connection types, and it internally runs Dirac Live at 96 kHz rather than 48 kHz. The SHD series can also act as Roon endpoints, and the later (neo3) SHDs can use a Microsoft Surface Dial as a remote volume control.

Ultrasonic

Thanx for the detailed answer, now i need to decide if the difference between shd and flex make me upgrade. I am not in usa so i pay more to get it here. Here is the home of the Three Pyramids of Giza.
miniDSP are based in Hong Kong so I'm not sure being in the US is a huge advantage, beyond the dollar's value being relatively high.

You can add where you live to your profile if you like. You'll see I'm not in the US either :).

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Quick question for those that owns the FLEX with Dirac Live license. If you install the Dirac Live license, can you still go back to use only the miniDSP plugin only? Like having PEQ in the Inputs like 2x4 HD without Dirac Live? I know you can disable Dirac Live but are you able to uninstall it completely and go back to FLEX plugin only?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Great!! Thanks for pointing this out. I have a FLEX TRS on the way to time align my new Neumanns KH 150s and Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer. Most likely I won't need Dirac Live but it's good to know I can switch between DL and miniDSP plugin if needed.

Ultrasonic

Great!! Thanks for pointing this out. I have a FLEX TRS on the way to time align my new Neumanns KH 150s and Rythmik Audio E22 subwoofer. Most likely I won't need Dirac Live but it's good to know I can switch between DL and miniDSP plugin if needed.
Note the PEQ is still available even if Dirac Live is active, so if you want to compare two options you can do so on different presets rather than changing the plugin status. Although you'll get additional latency when the unit is in DL capable mode.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Note the PEQ is still available even if Dirac Live is active, so if you want to compare two options you can do so on different presets rather than changing the plugin status. Although you'll get additional latency when the unit is in DL capable mode.
Great. I already placed the order for the Dirac Live plugin. I want to compare Neumann's MA1 app with Dirac Live and REW Filters.

Stretch

Hi folks,
How does this unit sound as a DAC/preamp direct into amplifier?
How does it compare to something like RME ADI2 or newer DACs up to $1000. What would you suggest thats great DAC has volume control and EQ control?

Thanks

HoJ76

Hi folks,
How does it compare to something like RME ADI2 or newer DACs up to $1000. What would you suggest thats great DAC has volume control and EQ control?

Thanks
Haven't tested vs RME, but I've sold my Topping DX7-Pro and replaced it with Flex. The thing is that as long as you use the Flex, you use the dac that is in it anyway...
However, I have not tried Flex vs Topping without Dirac, I have done that with 2x4HD - and in my opinion, 2x4HD without Dirac is not much to brag about.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks,

Thanks
Both RME and the Flex are excellently engineered as you can see in both reviews and therefore are expected to be both transparent ("sounding the same").

To choose between the the two I would look at price/budget, built quality, customer service and most important the difference in EQ implementation (Dirac for the Flex and built-in PEQ for the RME), the RME also has a good headphones output, if this is important to you. Not more to say.

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Hi folks,

Thanks
The flex would be my choice as a dac and preamp. 1/2 the price and all the features you need. Money on eq is well spent imo but dacs are all pretty much transparent; save yourself some money and spend it on speakers or sub would be my advice.

mike70

The flex would be my choice as a dac and preamp. 1/2 the price and all the features you need. Money on eq is well spent imo but dacs are all pretty much transparent; save yourself some money and spend it on speakers or sub would be my advice.

I think that´s the best advice on 2023 :)

Speakers / Room interaction is the more important facet in domestic sound reproduction, by far.
We have many, many reviews and blind tests about differences in digital sound reproduction ... and after an initial level (a cell phone have a DAC, a bad one obviously) everything "is the same" in normal circunstances.

Speakers THD / Room modes / Room noise floor destroys every tiny difference you can (maybe) have with a "better" DAC. You don't have osciloscopes in your brain, you receive sound waves with your ears (old ears in my case, that makes it worse :) )

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How does it compare to something like RME ADI2 or newer DACs up to $1000.
The sound is more lofty with the one, but more fluffy with the other.:p

I doubt anyone can reliably tell a difference, they should sound totally transparent.

Strobilus

Hi all,

Happy owner of the balanced flex since a couple of months back, replacing my 2x4HD in a 2.1 configuration (KEF LS50, svs sb1000 with topping pa5 / dynaco st 70).

One item that I am trying to work around is the ADC balanced input, when using RCA plugs and connecting my riaa/vinylrecord player to the input I loose a substantial amount of sound level headroom compared to running my usb streamer (normal audio levels at -7db with riaa compared to -25 db with streamer).

I assume this is just the nature of running RCA to balanced input as I had similar issue running the 2x4HD to my topping.

Though, can a self-wired rca-trs cable improve audio levels (cable similar to minidsp recommended output cable for flex) or would i have to look at a balanced riaa or quality converter of sorts?

thanks!

mike70

Well, normally balanced connections have more gain, but, also usually digital sources have more voltage output.

Check your streamer specifications, normally is 2 volts at least. A standard MM cartridge have 5mv output and a standard MM preamp adds 40dB of gain ... is lesser by far.

So, with records you generally have less output than digital, balanced or not.

Strobilus

Ah, yeah that does make sense, I recall testing with other sources I have plugged in RCA resulted in higher output.
Thanks!

anphex

Forum Donor
Are the DSP presets saved on the miniDSP or saved on the host device (computer/laptop)?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom