• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two questions...
1) I have now Minidsp ddrc-24 with Dirac live, will I get better sound with the Flex rca?
2) Is it possible to move my Dirac live license from one product to another?
1 - If you hear noise now from the speakers with no sound playing, the flex might eliminate this. Other than that, you'll probably not hear any difference. Upgrade for the features (Bluetooth/volume/display/all connectors on the back) if you need them.

2 - Sadly no. The DIRAC license is locked to the hardware. Ownership can be transferred if you sell the 2x4 though.

Last edited:

diablo

Forum Donor
Two questions...
1) I have now Minidsp ddrc-24 with Dirac live, will I get better sound with the Flex rca?
2) Is it possible to move my Dirac live license from one product to another?
I moved from the DDRC-24 to the Flex, mainly because it became important for me to have the display of what was going on. I wasn't expecting it to sound much better - but it does. But I think that's mainly because I set it up better. :)

No, unfortunately you can't transfer the Dirac license.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Currently I have a toslink input from an Audioengine B1 and another toslink input from a PS4. I'm planning on another toslink input from an HDMI splitter and another input from a raspberry pi. My Yamaha also doesn't work for my plans so I'd have to replace it or use a switch anyways.

A toslink switch with auto switching + remote control sounds like a good choice I think.
Am I correnct in my assumption that because of the digital nature of toslink switches, it doesn't matter which one I get regarding audio quality? If so then I can focus on features alone
Sounds like the kind of messy project system I have.

I had a B1 for a while years ago but quit using pretty quick. Can't remember why. But we're now using the Flex's BT happily. Will you still need your B1?

Do you have an HDMI splitter/audio extractor already working with the HDMI device? These kinds of devices are unreliable in my experience. Whether they work with your equipment or not is unpredictable and same thing when you replace a device, like when we had to replace a disc player.

If the device is a Blu-ray player, I recently made ours obsolete, which leaves the Roku as the only HDMI source in the system. I installed Plex media server on one of our two Pis which has a big USB SSD and Samba, rip the disc using MakeMKV saving files to the Pi, and watch using the Plex app on the Roku.

HoJ76

To bad Dirac can't be transferred over to new product..
I have no noise on my speakers with ddrc-24. Seems like I'll stick with what I have. I don't pay so much if it don't do anything improvement with the sound.

MCH

Major Contributor
There is a computer standalone license that you can use with any card you want, but it is significantly more expensive.
I am ok with minidsp/Dirac offering a low cost solution with limitations

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently received Flex 8 to compare with Hypex DLCP as a dsp/pre with my DIY JBL M2 speakers. I have to say I'm really impressed with this box. I've had Minidsp 4x10HD, 2x4HD and DDRC 22D from Minidsp. The Flex is a far superior experience than previous Minidsp's and sounds better than the DLCP.
It's a marvelous thing to be able to change any dsp setting in real-time while music is playing so you can A-B test whatever you're experimenting with.

I like it.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Words of warning!

If you decide to upgrade the Flex to Dirac Live, you must click the "convert to DL" thing in the software. When you punch in the Dirac code and click the convert button, TURN OFF your amplifiers or disconnect the speakers!
I experienced an almighty pop through the drivers out of the blue during the conversion "loading", which could be extremely expensive if unlucky.

Also, if you have an active crossover set through the Flex software, double check that the settings carried over through the conversion to Dirac software across all presets. Mine didn't, which would be really bad if I had startet Dirac calibration before checking.

Dean

Sounds like a reasonable test, and I guess is doable if there's someone with the Flex, the equipment to test it, and the desire. What degradation in SINAD or dynamic range would be acceptable for the improvement in room correction and imaging? From my experience, the integration of the subs, and room/bass correction is significant. Unless there was a difference in SINAD that brings it into the audible range, I'd have a hard time giving up on the miniDSP in general and Dirac in particular. Others of course may differ in that opinion.
Agreed, there is no right answer, just better informed decisions.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
check the DR / SINAD you need with the recordings / speakers THD / room noise floor you have ... surely you'll be surprised.
i agree on using measurements as quality indicators and don't spend money in overpriced audio jewelry, but that's one thing and the other is what level of performance do you need in the real world.

that's why you can find a 80dB SINAD amplfier / DAC sounding good as any other with brilliant measurements in a blind test. i only don't want to pay 3x in the 80dB SINAD amplifier / DAC. i think this situation resumes what are the measurements for in my case.

without information is hard to make smart decisions ... but also good information can lead to bad decisions, as a totally silly race for higher SINAD values, without knowledge about the full reality context.

Do I need this thing? Do I need the Flex 8? I have a 2 channel setup with a Raspberry Pi with a Pi2design AES-LITE streaming tidal and files from my NAS to a 10 year old Yulong D18 DAC. My speakers are big old Bozak Symphonies that are soon about to be actively biamped with a vintage (recapped) Bozak crossover that has a 6 db slope. The speakers each have 2 12" woofers My amps are Ayima A07 and Sabaj a20a 2022. I have no subwoofers but would love a pair one day. Will running Dirac have a benifit without subwoofers? I know speakers my can produce more bass than they do but I think my room steals it. If I got a Flex 8 I could biamp my speakers with it assuming I can have a 6 d/b slope and it would probably be a better than the vintage crossover, right? I have 900 dollars to upgrade my system and I want a remote and better sound. Do I need a Flex?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Breaking down the stream of consciousness…

Do I need this thing?
Don’t know. Some people say all you need is love.

Do I need the Flex 8?
See above.

I have a 2 channel setup with a Raspberry Pi with a Pi2design AES-LITE streaming tidal and files from my NAS to a 10 year old Yulong D18 DAC. My speakers are big old Bozak Symphonies that are soon about to be actively biamped with a vintage (recapped) Bozak crossover that has a 6 db slope. The speakers each have 2 12" woofers My amps are Ayima A07 and Sabaj a20a 2022. I have no subwoofers but would love a pair one day.

Will running Dirac have a benifit without subwoofers?
Yes.

I know speakers my can produce more bass than they do but I think my room steals it.

If I got a Flex 8 I could biamp my speakers with it assuming I can have a 6 d/b slope and it would probably be a better than the vintage crossover, right?
It will probably be more accurate. That may or may not be the same as better. It will also be more flexible, giving you more ways to adjust the end result to your liking.

I have 900 dollars to upgrade my system and I want a remote and better sound.

Do I need a Flex?
See your first two questions.

HoJ76

Selling my dac, my preamplifier and my ddrc-24 - this will be out of the system, a Flex rca version will replace them. It will probably arrive before the weekend. It will be fun.

diablo

Forum Donor
Selling my dac, my preamplifier and my ddrc-24 - this will be out of the system, a Flex rca version will replace them. It will probably arrive before the weekend. It will be fun.
That's what I did a while back. I'm using just the Flex as preamp, room correction and DAC. Using it now actually. Very happy with this simple system. :)

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To use your DAC you need the flex with digital outputs, but to use the sub you need other stereo DAC or change to a 4 (or more) channel DAC.

I don't know if the phase / timing issues with 2 output DACs are relevant, but it seems a mess for me. In my opinion Flex balanced / unbalanced is the way to go if you don't have a multichannel DAC actually.

HoJ76

Can't we use a streamer/dac with digital out like CocktailAudio N25? Use usb audio out, and plug it inn the Flex isb-input?
Screenshot_20221201_135350_Chrome.jpg

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

HoJ76

Now I have the flex, but I can't connect "connecting to the system" problems...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now I have the flex, but I can't connect "connecting to the system" problems...
A more detailed description of the problem would help. What have you done (step by step) to get to that point. What are you seeing?

Top Bottom