• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Digital Flex finally available at the right price point

kolestonin

1AMP+1SUB+2passive speakers

Is my understanding on connections correct?
How a 2nd sub can be plugged?

1664058366855.png

juliangst

1AMP+1SUB+2passive speakers

Is my understanding on connections correct?
How a 2nd sub can be plugged?

View attachment 233097
You can just use one output to the sub because it’s mono anyway.
I would recommend getting the balanced flex if you amp already has balanced inputs (and balanced inputs only)

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
@kolestonin
Plug the 3rd MiniDSP output to LFE input of the 1st sub.
Plug the 4th MiniDSP output to LFE input of the 2nd sub.

Yes, get the balanced version of MiniDSP Flex, if your amp has XLR balanced inputs.

You can read my guide about XLR to RCA cables here.

mvnchies

Hi, just picked up one of these with UMIK-1 and wondering a bit about how it works as a pre-amplifier, and which amplifier to choose.
Are there any specifications or whatnot of a power amplifier that need to match? I got the unbalanced version if that matters.
If I decide to use an integrated amplifier instead, should I just max out the volume of said amplifier, if I want to use the remote control of the Flex to control system volume?

I have never used a "power amplifier" before but I was thinking of picking up the HypeX from Audiophonics... but there's a bit of a wait time for these right now it seems.
is there any other good alternative that would work well with LS50 Meta? I don't listen super loud so I'm not sure how much power I realistically need, at 3 meter distance and very reasonable / low volume levels.

I will also have a subwoofer connected to the system but I am not sure if that affects this setup in any way.

This thing seems super cool, I hope to have it all ready for use in a week or two.

juliangst

should I just max out the volume of said amplifier
I plan to do something similar with my amp. You need to measure the output voltage and calculate the voltage gain. Most power amp have ~28dB of gain.
is there any other good alternative that would work well with LS50 Meta
A good power amp for the LS50 would be the hypex NC252.
If you high pass the LS50 anyway you could also be fine with a Topping PA5

mvnchies

Maybe you could check for BoXem.
I was looking at those but the Audiophonics is literally half the price... not sure how much better the BoXem is. Maybe I'll need to exercise that "patience" thing people talk about... :)
I plan to do something similar with my amp. You need to measure the output voltage and calculate the voltage gain. Most power amp have ~28dB of gain.

A good power amp for the LS50 would be the hypex NC252.
If you high pass the LS50 anyway you could also be fine with a Topping PA5
I do plan to high pass - haven't figured out how high yet though...
PA5 looks nice but the thread on here where people have so many faulty units is a bit concerning.
might have to just go for the HypeX from Audiophonics, since it's only 400 euro.
I do have a few concerns here too though - what is a trigger... do I want a trigger? and also, do these things run hot? I was under the impression class D runs cool but I saw somewhere on here that the power supply might run hot on HypeX ncore. is this universally true?

thank you very much for the super speedy responses.

Reactions: CMB

MCH

Major Contributor
I do use a boxem hypex nc252 with kef ls50 meta. Very fine amp for the purpose.
Advantage of Boxem with your intended setup? Signal sensing auto on. I believe the flex does not have trigger output (i don't know for sure).
Now, my boxem is balanced and the balanced dac i use can output 5+V. After dsp, a little negative gain and so i rarely go above -15db vol, but for a party i would probably need to be at -10db or higher.
You have the unbalanced flex that outputs what? 2V? So this is a couple of db less headroom you will have, but i guess should be ok unless you want to play really loud.

Why not balanced flex?

diablo

Forum Donor
Hi, just picked up one of these with UMIK-1 and wondering a bit about how it works as a pre-amplifier, and which amplifier to choose.
Are there any specifications or whatnot of a power amplifier that need to match? I got the unbalanced version if that matters.
If I decide to use an integrated amplifier instead, should I just max out the volume of said amplifier, if I want to use the remote control of the Flex to control system volume?

I have never used a "power amplifier" before but I was thinking of picking up the HypeX from Audiophonics... but there's a bit of a wait time for these right now it seems.
is there any other good alternative that would work well with LS50 Meta? I don't listen super loud so I'm not sure how much power I realistically need, at 3 meter distance and very reasonable / low volume levels.

I will also have a subwoofer connected to the system but I am not sure if that affects this setup in any way.

This thing seems super cool, I hope to have it all ready for use in a week or two.
I use my Flex as a pre-amp and it works just fine. I'm actually using a Yamaha R-N803D as the power amp for it. Using CD input, Pure Direct mode and set at full volume. The Yamaha has only 26dB gain at those settings so I add an extra 3 dB in the Flex to compensate. My speakers are similar efficiency to the LS50 Metas. Also using the Flex for the sub as well.
I have been using an R-N803D to power the LS50 Metas in my bedroom. It copes well with the fairly low impedance of those speakers. More than enough power.

Last edited:

mvnchies

I do use a boxem hypex nc252 with kef ls50 meta. Very fine amp for the purpose.
Advantage of Boxem with your intended setup? Signal sensing auto on. I believe the flex does not have trigger output (i don't know for sure).
Now, my boxem is balanced and the balanced dac i use can output 5+V. After dsp, a little negative gain and so i rarely go above -15db vol, but for a party i would probably need to be at -10db or higher.
You have the unbalanced flex that outputs what? 2V? So this is a couple of db less headroom you will have, but i guess should be ok unless you want to play really loud.

Why not balanced flex?
so if I understand this correctly - it turns on when a signal is detected?
is it going to be running 100% power draw all the time if not? I thought it had a stand-by mode... at least it says so in the specifications on Audiophonics website.

I chose unbalanced because I figured balanced amplifiers would cost a lot more, but it's not too late to return it if I find something else of course.
it sounds like you listen a lot louder than me but I'm not sure. I had an 80W (in 4ohm) Loxjie A30 that I never really went above 50% volume with, only in very quiet movies - I think maybe I could get away with low volumes. I would never throw a party at my house because I'm really boring but... :D some headroom is nice perhaps.
I use my Flex as a pre-amp and it works just fine. I'm actually using a Yamaha R-N803D as the power amp for it. Using CD input, Pure Direct mode and set at full volume. The Yamaha has only 26dB gain at those settings so I add an extra 3 dB in the Flex to compensate. My speakers are similar efficiency to the LS50 Metas. Also using the Flex for the sub as well.
I have been using an R-N803D to power the LS50 Metas in my bedroom. It copes well with the fairly low impedance of those speakers. More than enough power.
That looks very nice (not sure why your URL was removed, I only noticed it when quoting your post) performance-wise - but it's perhaps a bit expensive at 900 euro here, and discontinued as well. I like the looks of these Yamaha products though, they look very 'classic' :)
I'll have to look around a bit more, since I was hoping to have something more compact, to be honest. but it looks nice.
Are you using the volume control of the Yamaha then? If I'm understanding this correctly.

Thank you!

MCH

Major Contributor
so if I understand this correctly - it turns on when a signal is detected?
Correct, and after 10 minutes without signal it goes again to stand by mode
is it going to be running 100% power draw all the time if not? I thought it had a stand-by mode... at least it says so in the specifications on Audiophonics website.
The Boxem uses less than 0.5W when it is in stand by mode like most devices in EU nowadays. I believe <0.5W is low enough not to worry about. When it is on it uses the power that it needs I believe, it is not a class A Amp.
If this is important for you, I am sure the auto on saves power in most use cases, you will never "forget it on" because it will always go to stand by alone. My 2c.

diablo

Forum Donor
That looks very nice (not sure why your URL was removed, I only noticed it when quoting your post) performance-wise - but it's perhaps a bit expensive at 900 euro here, and discontinued as well. I like the looks of these Yamaha products though, they look very 'classic' :)
I'll have to look around a bit more, since I was hoping to have something more compact, to be honest. but it looks nice.
Are you using the volume control of the Yamaha then? If I'm understanding this correctly.

Thank you!
I bought my first Yamaha R-N803 for my bedroom Metas after reading Amir's review. I had been looking at more expensive solutions but the Yamaha filled the bill pretty well. I do use the volume control on that.

When I needed a power amp for my lounge after setting up the Flex (though previously DDRC24) I looked at various options, Boxem, Nord etc. Then spotted a 'nearly new' 803 for £550. Got that instead and not disappointed.

The 803 in the lounge is actually behind the TV and out of sight. When powered up it turns on in Pure Direct mode and '0dB'. I use the Flex remote to adjust volume, or Harmony remote.

The actual amp is virtually identical to the Yamaha A-S701, which can be found a bit cheaper but lacks the Musiccast features.

They are pretty dammed big though - so not suitable for you really. :)

Last edited:

mvnchies

I bought my first Yamaha A-S803 for my bedroom Metas after reading Amir's review. I had been looking at more expensive solutions but the Yamaha filled the bill pretty well. I do use the volume control on that.

When I needed a power amp for my lounge after setting up the Flex (though previously DDRC24) I looked at various options, Boxem, Nord etc. Then spotted a 'nearly new' 803 for £550. Got that instead and not disappointed.

The 803 in the lounge is actually behind the TV and out of sight. When powered up it turns on in Pure Direct mode and '0dB'. I use the Flex remote to adjust volume, or Harmony remote.

The actual amp is virtually identical to the Yamaha A-S701, which can be found a bit cheaper but lacks the Musiccast features.

They are pretty dammed big though - so not suitable for you really. :)
Indeed - height is the issue for me when it comes to amplifier right now... I can only fit up to 75mm in my media bench. looks like these are a lot bigger.
should have specified that first, I think - sorry about that!

550 is a very nice deal for that one, I have to say. no need for the musiccast for me though.

The search must continue!

Thank you again!

Sirphatsalot

So what would give better performance, Wiim to Minidsp Flex via optical, or Wiim to (better) dac such as smsl do100 via optical, then dac to mini dsp flex via bal xlr?

Is there any point to using an external DAC with this (for music streaming)?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So what would give better performance, Wiim to Minidsp Flex via optical, or Wiim to (better) dac such as smsl do100 via optical, then dac to mini dsp flex via bal xlr?
The former.
Unless you're forced to do so, no.
You'll always get a higher fidelity signal inputting digital into the Flex.
Fewer A->D / D->A conversions is always better.

Eetu

Forum Donor

WiiM to Flex. I have the exact setup and it works great. With the latter option the signal would go through an unnecessary AD conversion.

MCH

Major Contributor

If you want to skip the dac of the flex for whatever reason, the alternative dac should be after, not before, the flex. The easiest way would be with the flex digital version.
If you will get any benefit doing so, i don't know., but i bet most people will tell you you won't.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Probably not.

Nope

Is there any point in high-res media, period? No.. how are your ears doing above 20 kHz nowadays?

The ASRC’s in the DSP are generally quite good. See the multitone test @abdo123 did.

Hell yes!

Objectively: yes. Practically: no.

MQA is never an advantage. Looking at your questions, it seems you drank a lot of their kool aid.
That's it. I'm following you!

juliangst

Is there any advantage in getting the SHD Studio over the Flex digital?
Apart from AES outputs and the build in volumio streamer they look pretty identical feature wise.

Top Bottom