• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 431 75.9%

• Total voters

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You would be calibrating them separately but it is possible. You could do some work in REW afterwards to get the levels balanced.
Thanks for responding.

Don’t the calibrations interoperate worn each other or are they independent? Even within same box? Or is each channel thought to be independent of the others

Sluraad

Thanks for responding.

Don’t the calibrations interoperate worn each other or are they independent? Even within same box? Or is each channel thought to be independent of the others
Each minidsp 2x4hd/flex is a 2 channel input device, you can map that output as you please but they don't specifically have anything to do with each other except Dirac calibrations kind of thinks you are doing a pair of stereo (L/R) speakers. This doesn't inherently cause a problem, you could do center on Dirac1 and sub on Dirac2 but nothing is going to be processing putting them all together. If you don't have an AVR feeding both Flex's it's not really going to work right, you wont have anything that has the concept of a LFE channel, etc.
If you have an AVR and you are putting it between your discrete channel out and your amps/subs, and you can do some kind of level matching / delay tuning calibration after that, it should tie it all together.

tjcinnamon

Each minidsp 2x4hd/flex is a 2 channel input device, you can map that output as you please but they don't specifically have anything to do with each other except Dirac calibrations kind of thinks you are doing a pair of stereo (L/R) speakers. This doesn't inherently cause a problem, you could do center on Dirac1 and sub on Dirac2 but nothing is going to be processing putting them all together. If you don't have an AVR feeding both Flex's it's not really going to work right, you wont have anything that has the concept of a LFE channel, etc.
If you have an AVR and you are putting it between your discrete channel out and your amps/subs, and you can do some kind of level matching / delay tuning calibration after that, it should tie it all together.
That’s exactly what I was thinking about doing. Basically using Dirac to add IIR filters, then either using MSOP and then putting it off an AVR.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
It's different for every country (and especially Greece with highest VAT..)
You'll pay the minidsp USD price displayed on minidsp website converted to euros + 24% of Greek VAT + about 15-20€ for DHL processing fees.
There is no custom fees in Europe for devices such as minidsp DSPs.

Last edited:

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Which would be 600e all taxes included as of today, for unbalanced version without Dirac.

tjcinnamon

Does anyone know that if I already own a Dirac license from an AVR (paid to Dirac), do I still need to buy the MiniDSP Dirac SKU at $200 OR does my previous Dirac license not require that?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Does anyone know that if I already own a Dirac license from an AVR (paid to Dirac), do I still need to buy the MiniDSP Dirac SKU at $200 OR does my previous Dirac license not require that?
Dirac licenses are tied to minidsp devices.
Thus, yes, you will need to buy a new one.

tjcinnamon

Dirac license are tied to minidsp devices.
Thus, yes, you will need to buy a new one.
Dang! So that means if I have 2 devices, I need to buy 2 plugins... Plus the previous Dirac license. I'm all in with Dirac.

To confirm, adjustments can be made after Dirac in the signal chain? For example, I want to increase the gain on my right channel by 1dB after calibration.

adamcstephens

To confirm, adjustments can be made after Dirac in the signal chain? For example, I want to increase the gain on my right channel by 1dB after calibration.
Dirac is applied on input. You should still have full control on output gain. Someone with Dirac may be able to verify this, but I expect it will work as desired.

poxymoron

So I finally got my Flex digital working with my Edifier speakers. When I received the unit it didn't work with either set of speakers so I updated the firmware and tried again but it still didn't work, however, minidsp's support noticed that I had actually downgraded the firmware from the one that the Flex was shipped with and advised that I update it back to the current firmware. I did that last night and low and behold it worked. Not sure why it didn't work originally, perhaps I has done something wrong but I checked and rechecked the setup so many times to find a solution that I don't think that I did. Anyway, kudos to minidsp, they were prompt and responsive with every email I sent them and were as keen to find a solution as I was. I'll order the Dirac upgrade today and do some REW measurements in the meantime. Thanks for all your advice.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Under what conditions is the measured IMD audible?
There is a „sticky“ post in the Psychoacoustic section which might get you started (it also contains links to the original source / studies etc).

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Under what conditions is the measured IMD audible?
Gain is set to over 90dB over environment noise and the music has over 90dB of dynamic range and plays at full tilt and the distortion is not masked by the signal.

I would say chances are slim to none to hear it.

Wikedlok

Hi,
before I pull the trigger, could really use some advice. Have read the whole 50 pages of this, but still...

My music system is Node to Topping e50 to Emotiva a300, powering modified Klipsch rp600m (biwired, yay!) and having 2 BK subs connected to it with high level ( stereo subs, like REL). Speakers are shared between this and avr through Beresford amp switch, subs lfe from avr, high level from emotiva.

Although my room is well treated (waterfall graph is pretty good as I understand it, only that nasty peak close to 400 ms and 30 hz and below more than that) , still having some modes, mains have a big dip from 55 to 80, like 20 db down, while their 50-55 are 15ish db up. Audyssey works really well down low, so I'd like to achieve similar or better results, but without avr in the chain (hence music only system).
Tried placement, phase, xover etc, so finally grew tired of it and would go for something like flex.
Really digging the xover and time alignment part Flex analogue offers, as the dac looks good and I think I don't lose audible quality vs my Topping. Feel free to chime in.

Is this the right way to do this:

Subs have two rca in - at the moment avr using both inputs with 1 to 2 rca cables. High level cable from emotiva to sub, which would become obsolete with Mini dsp.
Can I use my subs' rca inputs like this:
-one cable from avr to only one input on sub?
-one cable from flex to the second input on sub?
-try not to have both avr and Flex playing at the same time :)?
-Subs don't care one input is dead?
-phase to 0, gain as for avr, xover max?

So, Node to Flex over coax, then pair my left channel with one output (number 1?) to amp's left input and one to the left sub (number 3?) ? Sub becomes extension to mains, not like mono lfe to both subs? Same for right channel. Set crossovers and then get into the rabbit hole of tweaking?
Oh, I'd use Dirac live, seems simpler.

Also - I'm from Croatia, EU, Audiophonics asks for 700 euros without dirac, can someone confirm how much would it cost me / or no customs applied, if I order it straight from USA? Flex + dirac is 694 dollars on their website, convert to euros + shipping, and then VAT 25%, + customs...or what is the formula? I saw one member from Greece here, ...

I'm at work now, so probably left some things out, so I'll have to ask later, sorry :/.

And thanks for all input, in advance,

Best

Edit: how would flex digital work in my case, considering the subs? Additional dac, and then how do I control volume? Let's say I get some cheaper topping. One topping rc to rule them all?

Attachments

• 20220426_190931 (1).jpg
    20220426_190931 (1).jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

asrUser

Hey guys, I bought a miniDSP Flex TRS (balanced). I got 2 Neumann KH 120A monitors and a headphone amplifier. Output 1 & 2 go to the headphone amp while output 3 & 4 go to my speakers. In this configuration my headphones produce noise/buzzing/ground loop and even more so when I move my mouse. Input is USB from PC. I only use balanced connectors.

Okay so I tried some things like switching the Neumann KH120 from Ground Connect to Ground Lift. With this there is no more annoying buzzing. So how can I make the Ground Connect mode to not create ground loop/buzzing/or however you call it? In the manual of the miniDSP Flex I see a Ground lug. Would it help to reduce the ground loop?
I mean I can just let it be on Ground lift, but then again why is there even a Ground Connect mode?

Last edited:

NailOnHead

Connected the MinDSP Flex up to my Audiophonics LPA-S500NC (Hypex Ncore NC502MP) today.

Analog version, 6.35mm jack (TRX) to XLR balanced. USB input from my Macbook and toslink from my PC.
Perfect. Nice clear display, good volume control, good remote.
And with my ear pressed to the tweeter (B&W CM10 S2) only a barely audible hiss. In my opinion very good for low cost products, amp with a gain of 25.6dB and rather sensitive speakers at 90dB/W/m.

Very satisfied with my new setup.

The DIRAC license has yet to be activated, so I might post about this later.
I activated my license today. And performed a measily single measurement and exported an automatic DIRAC filter.

I should have started experimenting with room correction before. My preliminary opinion (based on a "bad" single measurement filter) is that a lot of phase magic happens. I have always had relatively small listening rooms, and not enough room to take the speakers more than 20cms off the wall. DIRAC seems to make a big difference, mostly a lot of phase magic, the soundstage is more to my liking. e.g. Until now I've not always liked that the music was very cleary coming from my 2 speakers, I was able to localise them easily, now though, the sound is more detached from the speakers. And yes, some frequency response sounds altered, I don't really mind, doesn't sound better or worse for me, just different.
I don't like it on all songs, but this might also be due to my "bad" filter. I really appreciate the DIRAC button on the remote so you can switch instantly without interruption.

That sound stage though :D
I should have started experimenting with room correction before.

Top Bottom