• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 434 76.0%

• Total voters

poxymoron

I'm back at my other speakers. I have 2 optical cables connected to the Flex and switching between them both on the speakers still has no sound. Inputs and outputs on the plugin still showing active signals. I might have a dud. Or I might be a dud!

poxymoron

I'm assuming you've correctly slected optical as the input on the speaker (how do you do that BTW)?

Have you tried an alternate input on the flex (EG Toslinkor bluetooth)?
I've tried Bluetooth and the same. Doing it now again and the plugin shows a signal on both inputs and outputs.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think at this point I'd contact minidsp. The devices are pretty complex - still plenty of scope for some setting somewhere.

poxymoron

I think at this point I'd contact minidsp. The devices are pretty complex - still plenty of scope for some setting somewhere.
I agree. I logged a support ticket yesterday but I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a step or was doing something stupid. Thanks for the effort guys.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try using coax, the Edifier S1000db manual says it only accepts 44.1 / 48 kHz over optical and the Flex will be outputting 96 kHz.

Michael

Attachments

• EAD2A0D4-9A96-4908-AF5F-A917EF501A38.png
    EAD2A0D4-9A96-4908-AF5F-A917EF501A38.png
    369 KB · Views: 76

poxymoron

Try using coax, the Edifier S1000db manual says it only accepts 44.1 / 48 kHz over optical and the Flex will be outputting 96 kHz.

Michael
Thank you, good point, but my other speakers S3000pro accept up to 192KHz over optical. I'll pick up a Coax cable tomorrow and try it anyway.

Sluraad

Have you hooked it up to a computer to look at the settings?

Keened

Forum Donor
This is probably the biggest thing holding the Flex back as a supernova level produce (phase and timing on additional software being another): having to hook a physical computer up to the Flex to configure it. If they included bluetooth or wifi connections by default so it could all be done from a phone or tablet....

Let it be a little wider, round the edges a bit, and allow vertical orientation...

Or save it for a 4x8 model with 5.1 decoding capabilities...

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let it be a little wider, round the edges a bit, and allow vertical orientation...
I put the feet on the "side" and have been using it in vertical orientation from day one back in January. It's plenty stable, even with 4 TRS cables, and I prefer the volume knob higher up for desktop use. I wouldn't want it any "wider" because that would make it "taller" in vertical orientation, and thus less stable.

IMG_9455.jpg

poxymoron

I have and perhaps I've set it up all wrong. minidsp are on the case so hopefully I'll get it sorted with their help. thanks for all the input and sorry for hijacking the thread.

MCH

Major Contributor
I have and perhaps I've set it up all wrong. minidsp are on the case so hopefully I'll get it sorted with their help. thanks for all the input and sorry for hijacking the thread.
If you bought directly from minidsp from overseas, I would be interested to know how they handle the issue if proven broken. Thanks.

testp

I put the feet on the "side" and have been using it in vertical orientation from day one back in January. It's plenty stable, even with 4 TRS cables, and I prefer the volume knob higher up for desktop use. I wouldn't want it any "wider" because that would make it "taller" in vertical orientation, and thus less stable.

View attachment 205512
it looks like ur keyboard is having a party & ur mouse is not invited :)

Keened

Forum Donor
That's more or less how I would like to use it as well, but I'd want a cradle to set it into either way. I'd rather pay a little bit more for extra capabilities + a cradle if the trade off is increased height and/or thickness.

poxymoron

Without hijacking this thread again I'll give you a quick update on where I'm at with my Flex Digital. miniDSP have been supportive and quick to respond. I gave them detailed info and photos of my setup and I had things setup correctly but it looks like my Edifier S3000pro speakers might not accept the output from the Flex over optical. The TI DAC in the speakers supports up to 32bit 384kHz but perhaps there are limits on the optical in. If this is the case then I'm a bit disappointed as I would have opted for the Flex balanced if I had known this. I've contacted Edifier for some clarification.
I'll look to get a budget transparent DAC and try again. Can anybody suggest a budget DAC that you have successfully used with the Flex digital? I want to get a DAC that is confirmed to work with the Flex so that I'll have something concrete to go back to miniDSP with if the problem persists. Thanks for your input.

Eneko

Without hijacking this thread again I'll give you a quick update on where I'm at with my Flex Digital. miniDSP have been supportive and quick to respond. I gave them detailed info and photos of my setup and I had things setup correctly but it looks like my Edifier S3000pro speakers might not accept the output from the Flex over optical. The TI DAC in the speakers supports up to 32bit 384kHz but perhaps there are limits on the optical in. If this is the case then I'm a bit disappointed as I would have opted for the Flex balanced if I had known this. I've contacted Edifier for some clarification.
I'll look to get a budget transparent DAC and try again. Can anybody suggest a budget DAC that you have successfully used with the Flex digital? I want to get a DAC that is confirmed to work with the Flex so that I'll have something concrete to go back to miniDSP with if the problem persists. Thanks for your input.
I have mine (digital version also) connected to the Topping E30 :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know if it is possible to have a separate gain on an input. I can set a gain on an ouput, but I'd like to have an additional gain on the analogue input to level it out with the digital inputs (at the moment I have to increase the volume when listening to the turntable.

I know I could use a separate preset for this, but that would mean slecting first analogue input, then analogue preset. It'd be much better if the analogue was just permanently amped up a little.

purtypitcher

First post here. This is probably discussed elsewhere, but I am wondering about possibly overloading an (unbalanced RCA) Flex by inserting it into the external processor loop of the Outlaw RR2160MkII. The spec on the Flex site says 2vRMS is the input limit. But there is this disclaimer on the Outlaw page for the MkII: "You can add external processors either in the external processor loop or in between the pre- out/main in section of the receiver. The RR2160MkII, like most modern devices, has quite a bit of gain, and can easily be outputting 2Vrms, and obviously more peak. As such, you will need to reach out to the EQ manufacturer to ensure this will not overload the input stage of your external. We won't know what the input stage of other companies external processors can handle...." This seems like it could be a definite problem. I do note that the Flex spec for the balanced XLR connections is 4vRMS input limit. Would I have a problem using the RCA connections?

Top Bottom