• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight!

TabCam

Can you open yours and take a picture?
I don't want to as long as I there is no reason to do so. I don't think there will be much differences, maybe even the same dac as you could use an 8 channel dac to produce 4 balanced out as well.

mareclodaniel

I guess it’s the same way lots of home guys frown on dsp… and higher voltage rca has definite technical advantages

Last edited:

Fedde

Only if you can reduce amp gain sufficiently... (Or have attenuation in between)

Red_Red

Hi,

I received mine a few days ago. I have not yet set it up in its final destination of use (three-way crossover). So I test it only as a DAC, check that there is no problem at the output level, basically that it works correctly. It replaces an E30 topping here, and sounds pretty good. The spatialization is amazing, the separation of instruments very good but not excessive. There is just from time to time an impression of sibilance at the level of the reproduction of the brass but I have not done a blind test for the moment, but just like the E30 you can hear the aerial vibrations around the cymbals for example, or the crackling of the cello woodwinds. The noise level is inaudible. Silences are silences! So on this point the DAC of the Flex Eight is very satisfactory. And all this knowing that a priori the flex automatically operates a conversion to 24bits-96kHz of everything sent to it (even with no active crossover, neither FIR or IIR, nor equalization, etc.)

For those who are wondering about the heat generated, unlike the flex (2x4) the flex eight (2x8) has ventilation grilles on its 2 side flanks which should largely prevent excessive heat.

Another thing, the screen turns on as soon as you move with the wheel or the remote control and then turns off automatically after a few seconds.

(Otherwise, no, sorry, I don't intend to dismantle my copy before the end of its warranty coverage)

Last edited:

Red_Red

So, after several hours of listening these few days since receipt, I am very satisfied with the rendering of the DAC of this device. (only dac because I won't have the opportunity to test its intrinsic crossover capacity for a few weeks due to lack of time.). I gave him my favorite albums/songs and nothing to complain about. It's beautiful, it's honest, and as I've already said before: beautiful soundstage, separation of instruments, precision and real silences.

But obviously this is only a limited use of this "toolbox". I already have a nanodigi for several years, always functional and "transparent", I imagine that the flex eight will be just as much, even if its operation differs slightly.
In any case, as soon as I use its more advanced functions, I will not hesitate to come and let you know.

Anyway, I would really like to see a test of this one by Amir. It's clearly a niche tool, but by surveying the many international "diy" websites, it's the kind of tool that the community is eagerly awaiting. (I would have sent him my copy but being from another continent it is unfortunately not so obvious.)

[Just for reference, here are the dacs used before :
Toping E30 (still used)
Topping D10s (still used as an interface)
SMSL M8 (Dead)
iBasso DX90 (dac mode) (still used in nomadic mode with iems, best mobile audio player ever used!).
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (first gen). (still active on a configuration and used as a diy test tool and for musical interpretation/creation)
Musical Fidelity V-DACII (sold a long time ago, not really good)
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum (left aside - personal collection - excellent playback quality (by ear))
E-MU 1820M (left aside - personal collection - excellent playback quality (by ear))
Creative Sound Blaster Cards (whose name I can't remember).]

Last edited:

markofjohson

I have a Flex8, I'm using it to build out a 6 speaker digital piano. Very easy to use. Sounds good. Though there is a noise artifact when playing single notes at certain volumes as the sound dies away there is a small click. Working with MiniDSP support on this so I'm hopeful I'll get a configuration fix or a firmware update to address it. Anyone else notice this with very dynamic audio with quiet bits?

TabCam

I have a Flex8, I'm using it to build out a 6 speaker digital piano. Very easy to use. Sounds good. Though there is a noise artifact when playing single notes at certain volumes as the sound dies away there is a small click. Working with MiniDSP support on this so I'm hopeful I'll get a configuration fix or a firmware update to address it. Anyone else notice this with very dynamic audio with quiet bits?
I have sometimes a click/plop and I am still in doubt whether it is the streaming service, Bluesound Node 2i or MiniDSP as I do not have it streaming locally. One track that triggers it is Rosa Lee from Doug MacLeod. At around 51 seconds I hear it only when streaming from Tidal.

mlee

I have sometimes a click/plop and I am still in doubt whether it is the streaming service, Bluesound Node 2i or MiniDSP as I do not have it streaming locally. One track that triggers it is Rosa Lee from Doug MacLeod. At around 51 seconds I hear it only when streaming from Tidal.
Have you upgraded to the latest firmware version (1.52 or later)?

TabCam

Yep, MCU 1.52, DSP 1.6.
Checked it with both headphones (pop not there) and BlueSound/MiniDSP and at 0:53 a pop is there.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Fyi;
"The Flex Eight will shortly have an optional upgrade purchase for an 8-channel wireless transmitter that can be paired with WiSA-certified speakers."

TabCam

Have you tried Tidal from pc?
I have now and I also found the problem. I had switched on the per track replay gain. As soon as I switched it off the pop is gone.

The setting also doesn't help for streaming services and I expected it to reduce the gain of loud tracks, not increase the gain for lower volume tracks, my bad assumption :facepalm:!!!

NiToNi

The router settings allow for up to +12dB gain which must be done in the analog domain then (since there's no such thing as +12dBFS).

But what about when gain is being reduced in the router settings, is that also done in the analog domain or just the digital domain (i.e. setting of -12dB equals -12dBFS)?

The reason I ask is because I'd ideally like to be able to adjust gain level between drivers in the analog domain to maximize resolution (and without having to introduce potentiometers between the Flex and amps).

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The router settings allow for up to +12dB gain which must be done in the analog domain then (since there's no such thing as +12dBFS).

But what about when gain is being reduced in the router settings, is that also done in the analog domain or just the digital domain (i.e. setting of -12dB equals -12dBFS)?

The reason I ask is because I'd ideally like to be able to adjust gain level between drivers in the analog domain to maximize resolution (and without having to introduce potentiometers between the Flex and amps).

All processing is done digitally, nothing is done in the analog domain.

Michael

markofjohson

I'm using a MiniDSP Flex8 to drive sound in my diy digital piano cabinet application (currently with 4 drivers). Its been working well but with one issue that at certain gain levels I was getting a noise aftifact after playing short piano notes which was distracting during practice. MiniDSP worked with me to investigate the issue, and have now provided me new firmware to test which does seem to fix this problem :). I'm very pleased with the support from MiniDSP. The Flex8 is working very well in my digital piano application.

NiToNi

I'm using a MiniDSP Flex8 to drive sound in my diy digital piano cabinet application (currently with 4 drivers). Its been working well but with one issue that at certain gain levels I was getting a noise aftifact after playing short piano notes which was distracting during practice. MiniDSP worked with me to investigate the issue, and have now provided me new firmware to test which does seem to fix this problem :). I'm very pleased with the support from MiniDSP. The Flex8 is working very well in my digital piano application.

Glad to hear it’s working well for you. How is the latency for a real-time application like playing the digital piano?

I’m considering the Flex 8 for a similar setup, to linearise (PEQ) and crossover (LR4 300/2k) an active 3-way monitor speaker in a home studio, which will be used for music composition (MIDI keyboard, DAW, SPDIF, Flex, monitor), but worry that latency will be too high for live playing and tracking.

markofjohson

Latency is no problem at all. I have not measured it, but its fine. I'm sensitive to latency and I've rejected piano vsts that chose to have some latency build into the samples, so I'm confident in my judgement here. I drive it at the Flex8 native 96kHz (i think), and my vsts are on a M1Pro macbook which is fine with a small buffer, all of which help keep latency low. I will caveat though that I'm not an advanced pianist, and I'm not producing music.

In my setup I _add_ 5-10ms of latency to two of the speakers anyway! A design goal is to draw the perceived sound down and forward. The speakers that are on the top are close to the ear and so will make the sound direction as from on top of the keyboard. By adding delay to the top speakers, I can hear the sound from the lower speakers that are tucked under the keyboard before the sound from the top speakers. The Haas Effect is that our brain will blend sound heard with different delays as one perceived sound, with direction controlled by the first sound heard. So delay for the top speakers means I hear the sound as coming from down in the instrument rather than from the speakers on top. But the top speakers fill in the treble nicely.

Note that Flex8 does _not_ have any analog line in. This is a problem if you want an instrument routed through without using your DAW. I added an inexpensive ADC converter to in effect change the TOSLINK digital in on the Flex8 to an analog line in. Works fine.

Top Bottom