• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Eight!

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
19E4956F-EA5B-4B34-B0C1-C031A493C8BE.jpeg
I just got an email announcing this…the long awaited multi channel dsp for 3 or 4 way speakers!

Preorder now for Sept delivery, $599 not incl Dirac ($199 option).

Last edited:

XpanD

Forum Donor
Seems like it's a pure 2in/8out device? Not quite an Okto killer just yet if it can't take multichannel inputs, sadly. Interesting device for advanced crossovers, though!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Nice;
With multiple digital inputs and eight unbalanced analog output channels, the miniDSP Flex Eight can implement active speakers up to stereo four-way. Flexible 2x8 signal routing supports many other configurations such as two-way, three-way and multiple subwoofers. As always, a full suite of miniDSP’s tried and proven audio processing functionality is included: parametric EQ, IIR & FIR filters, crossovers, advanced biquad programming and delay on each output channel.

The Flex Eight has USB audio, S/PDIF (RCA and optical) and Bluetooth (LDAC/aptX) stereo digital inputs. An OLED front panel display and volume control/encoder knob provides easy control. Last but not least, it is easily software-upgradable with Stereo Dirac Live® for full range correction (20~20kHz), the world’s premiere room correction system.

The miniDSP Flex Eight is the perfect solution for a modern compact integrated active speaker/subwoofer system.
  • Processor: 32-bit floating-point 400MHz Analog Devices SHARC DSP
  • Multi-Core USB Audio processor (XMOS)
  • Bluetooth streaming: LDAC™/aptX™ HD/aptX™/AAC/SBC
  • Optional upgrade to Dirac Live® 3.x Digital Room Correction, Full Range Room Correction (20~20kHz)
  • Audiophile performance with very low noise floor and distortion (SNR @128dB(A), THD+N @ -111dB (0.0003%)
  • Inputs: Stereo digital (USB Audio/SPDIF/Optical/Bluetooth)
  • Outputs: Unbalanced (RCA)
  • White/Black OLED front panel controller with IR control
  • Control and configuration by miniDSP Device Console (DC)

JSmith

Sokel

Master Contributor
2v output… I was seeing this as a potential headunit for a car… why not make it switchable in software for amps that will use more signal and improve snr in the chain as a whole?
It would be nice to have balanced option for up to 4V.
If they would put it up to DSD and with an aditional analog input it would be the ultimate.

MCH

Major Contributor
If they would put it up to DSD and with an aditional analog input it would be the ultimate.
Seems that there is some confusing text in minidsp website description that indicates they might be releasing balanced and digital versions as with the previous flex:

Post in thread 'Suggestions for three-way crossover filters?' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...hree-way-crossover-filters.36416/post-1278680

Edit: hm, seems they have deleted the sentence from the description....

Last edited:
OP
Plcamp

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would guess announcements of balanced and digital out versions may come in near future, as that is what they have done with other “flex” units…that’s what they mean by “flex”.

Dumdum

Balanced is no good for normal rca inputs

I genuinely don’t get why manufacturers don’t adopt higher rca input voltages for home amplifiers, I guess it’s the same way lots of home guys frown on dsp… and higher voltage rca has definite technical advantages

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Perhaps as an aside, does anyone know what this Rename button renames?

1660295961897.png

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
From the announcent email I got, renaming presets name from 1..4 to a proper user defined label :

"- Preset Labels: By popular request, you can now give each preset your own label"

Dumdum

Lack of ADC / Analog inputs is a bit disappointing.
Use an 8-12 Dirac if you want that… it has everything but the usb in and volume control… but why would you want an analogue in when you have a competent dac at the end of the chain in the flex? You’re just adding more noise over a digital source? Maybe vinyl… but that’s a tiny percentage of users…

MCH

Major Contributor
Well, you can use one of those outdated spdifs to plug an adc.
But i am with you, dacs with analog inputs are rare and that was a nice feature of the original flex.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like that they fulfilled a long time request from the minisharc platform by putting the FIR banks on the inputs. Still rather limited in terms of FIR taps but will help stretch those further for crossover phase linearization. I wonder if a 48 kHz plugin is in the works.

Kind of amazing that this thing is $600 given the OpenDRC-DA8 was $400 when they discontinued it in 2020 and this has more inputs, display, better DAC, option to upgrade to Dirac and more powerful DSP, not bad for only $200 more.

Michael

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom