• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp - Bass response opinions on measurements

My adventures in stereo

Hi

I have been using a minidsp shd for nearly 6 months, recently picked up a pair of Revel 126 Be bookshelf speakers
Did a few calibration, the most pleasing result I got, was this curve " cal 2 dirac on "
Preset 2 dirac on 25922.jpg

" Cal 2 with dirac off "

Preset 2 dirac off 25922.jpg

Another calibration " Preset 3 with dirac on", *mislabelled as preset 2
This had the worst audible bass response

Preset 3 dirac on 25922.jpg

"Preset 3 with dirac off"

Preset 3 dirac off 25922.jpg

Audibly, I find myself preferring preset 2 with dirac off most
Preset 2 with dirac on sounds a bit bass boosted, Harman 6 db curve applied

The surprise was preset 3 with a 6 db Harman curve applied through dirac,, bass sounds very weak and overall the least pleasing

I dialled in parametric eq through SVS and got the final result with preset 3 with dirac off

Preset 3 final 25922.jpg

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I have been playing with different curves on mine as well. Overall I think I like the Harmon curve best, but for some recordings I actually prefer it flat, and some recordings a bit of a bass boost (2-3 dB) but flat above 120 Hz. Having 4 presets is nice to quickly change the response for different recordings.

I have also played with adding additional equalization on top of Dirac Live, using REW to measure the frequency response and the SHD's parametric E.Q. to smooth out bumps and dips that remained after Dirac Live is enabled. To me, it didn't sound any better than just using Dirac Live's adjustments.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

I have been playing with different curves on mine as well. Overall I think I like the Harmon curve best, but for some recordings I actually prefer it flat, and some recordings a bit of a bass boost (2-3 dB) but flat above 120 Hz. Having 4 presets is nice to quickly change the response for different recordings.
Thanks for sharing your feedback & your process
I run a bookshelf speakers with dual sub setup
The SVS parametric eq is pretty useful for flattening the sub curve post the REW/dirac process

Running it just flat does indeed suit certain recordings better

Top Bottom