• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Audio Delay

xykreinov

Forum Donor
About how much audio delay is introduced by the processing of a MiniDSP 2x4 HD? I know it's very very minimal if any- I had an IL-DSP that broke after some rough portable use. Even in rhythm games, if there was more delay, the enhancement proper parametric EQ allowed for more than made up for it- the experience was definitely more enjoyable. Plus, while dedicated DSP hardware is usually snappy, systemwide EQ applications cause a great deal of delay. So, it's not like I have much of a choice. But, I'm curious nonetheless.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
3ms according to this thread. I think ~13ms if using Dirac.

I have Dirac system wide on my PC using a Xonar DX. There's less delay using ASIO streaming in Voicemeeter Banana with a VST hosting Dirac than using Direct Sound. So in my case sound improved and latency decreased.

OP
xykreinov

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Oh thanks. Honestly, a difference of 1.7 ms between the HD and standard is enough for me to seriously consider the standard MiniDSP 2x4. That's big for my use case. I'm willing to trade a lot of DAC fidelity for a little less latency, especially when I save money in the process.

I'm on Linux, but yeah ASIO definitely sounds notably better than DirectSound and certainly has less latency, even in a streaming setup. I remember being surprised how much difference I could tell in a blind test with some songs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom