• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP announce new UMIK-2, UMIK-X microphones

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmmm, the UMIK-2 is 200 usd compared to 75 usd of the UMIK-1? I will wait the reviews and see if it is worth upgrading to "lower noise and lower distortion".

Last edited:

dwkdnvr

Yeah, the Umik-X is really rather interesting. Definitely interested in seeing a workflow and comparision to a single-mic approach. A bit spendy, but not outrageously so if it means the difference between and effective measurement/RC strategy vs not.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
From the announcement of the Umik-2, "...and a unique calibration file for each microphone to ensure accuracy."

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the announcement of the Umik-2, "...and a unique calibration file for each microphone to ensure accuracy."
But isn't it the same for UMIK-1s? Each has a serial number and its correction file.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Self-noise of the X is about 28dBA, which is good enough for measurement but a bit high for recording. The 2 does a bit better, 20dBA.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
But isn't it the same for UMIK-1s? Each has a serial number and its correction file.
So, I assumed but perhaps this signals something else.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Umik-2 is a 1/2 inch capsule which means it won't stay omnidirectional to 20 khz. That is a step backward from 1/4 inch Umik-1 even though it has lower self noise.

There is at least one other thread about this, but can't find it with search functions not working for recent postings.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The Umik-2 is a 1/2 inch capsule which means it won't stay omnidirectional to 20 khz.

That is correct, there are not a lot of threaded capsules that are cheap. We used some Primo 19mm (actual diaphragm dia.) EM-21 capsules to make the recordings for an article in Linear Audio and they are ~$60 but they are capable of 10dBA noise.

jae

Major Contributor
The Umik-2 is a 1/2 inch capsule which means it won't stay omnidirectional to 20 khz. That is a step backward from 1/4 inch Umik-1 even though it has lower self noise.

There is at least one other thread about this, but can't find it with search functions not working for recent postings.
I don't have access to my UMIK-1 as I am overseas, so I need to buy another. Would you say just buy another UMIK-1 instead of getting the 2 then?

Sam Ash

Tried really hard to get more information from MiniDSP in regards to UMIK-X but they never responded.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Top Bottom