• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp 2x4hd vs PC-EqAPO and 4 channels dac...

porfido

Hi guys,
first of all, forgive my bad english please...
I would ask an advice, if possible: I'm using a minidsp 2x4hd on a 2.2 system with a pc as only source...
The system is used for music and video (Netflix and so on...)...
I'm not so satisfied about Minidsp, because a little noisy and not so good specs as I can also read from your measurements...
It seems that there are some good 4 channels usb dac's around for decent price (Motu and similars) and I'm learning to use EqAPO with REW on another PC with good results...
Do you think that the 4 channels dac could offer more quality to someone using only a pc against the minidsp?
Thank you very much!

Vasr

Major Contributor
If you can hear the noise with the miniDSP due to efficient speakers in your chain, then yes getting a lower noise DAC will help. Otherwise, it is debatable.

The problem with other not too expensive multi-channel DACs south of the Okto 8-ch DAC is not having a multi-channel volume control in the unit. Motu, for example, volume control knob only works on mains out and so if you feed 4 in with its software mixing, you will have to do the software volume control on the PC (not a good idea). On things like the Motu, you cannot do phase/delay settings between mains and subs within its software mixer as far as I know, so you will need to do this in EAPO and feed 4 channels into the DAC via USB with volume control on the PC.

There really is nothing between good stereo DACs and the 8 channel Okto Pro other than the miniDSP units that makes a sub integration easy and the usage convenient.

Eventually, Toppings and SMSLs will slap their heads and put out 2x4 DACs and hopefully 4x4 Dacs with multi-channel volume control because enough of the stereo-heads are moving to including subs in their setup and not requiring a full 5.x or 7.x or more.

OP
P

porfido

If you can hear the noise with the miniDSP due to efficient speakers in your chain, then yes getting a lower noise DAC will help. Otherwise, it is debatable.

The problem with other not too expensive multi-channel DACs south of the Okto 8-ch DAC is not having a multi-channel volume control in the unit. Motu, for example, volume control knob only works on mains out and so if you feed 4 in with its software mixing, you will have to do the software volume control on the PC (not a good idea). On things like the Motu, you cannot do phase/delay settings between mains and subs within its software mixer as far as I know, so you will need to do this in EAPO and feed 4 channels into the DAC via USB with volume control on the PC.

There really is nothing between good stereo DACs and the 8 channel Okto Pro other than the miniDSP units that makes a sub integration easy and the usage convenient.

Eventually, Toppings and SMSLs will slap their heads and put out 2x4 DACs and hopefully 4x4 Dacs with multi-channel volume control because enough of the stereo-heads are moving to including subs in their setup and not requiring a full 5.x or 7.x or more.

Thank you so much, Vasr!
I think you're right! I have two PI Speakers model 3 as mains... Not "pro" efficient, but 97db 1w/1mt is not low...
As far as volume control, I built a 4 channels buffer using two Pass B1 buffer boards and two Biino r2r volume control boards with remote to solve the problem...
At this point I think that I could try the Motu and EqAPO and see (hear) the difference (if there is)... The only question left is if EqAPO and REW could offer the same or better performance of Minidsp and REW in room correction...

Last edited:
Top Bottom