• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp 2x4hd inverted polarity

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure exactly which Forum this should be in - feel free to move seen fit.

Hi Guys
Not really wanting to start a discussion about inverted polarity. I had been reading a few things and the easiest thing it said to do was to change the pos and neg over on the speaker. As I use JRiver media player there is a setting where this can be electronically. Having did this it sounded just as you would expect ‘out of phase’, so I put it back as it was.

As I use minidsp I had noticed that on the output section there is an ‘invert’ button which I had not used before. So I enabled the the invert button on the left channel only. I was really surprised at the difference, not like switching the speaker polarity at all. The sound stage widened and there seemed to be much better separation between instruments.

The system I using is Jriver on computer usb out to music fidelity DAC to a preamp to minidsp to headphone amplifier. At present I haven’t had the opportunity to try through my speakers and probably won’t be able to for a couple of weeks.

My thoughts are that minidsp changes the polarity by swapping the signal from positive to negative without touching the phase of the speakers.

Does anybody know if this is right? I like the effect it has, but haven’t been able to do any prolonged comparison. I can definitely hear a difference.

Regards

William

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a test that you can probably find online, where you can check polarity of speakers by throwing a white or pink noise. If you hear a "ball" between the speakers, you are good. If you hear a spread magma, it is inverted.
Did you try that?

OP
P

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi

Thanks for the above, i’ll search for it when I get time.

Regards

William

Top Bottom