• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP 2x4HD/DDRC-24 noise and cracks: How to solve it ?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi all,

I have a miniDSP DDRC-24 device that I use as crossover (main speakers/sub) , digital room correction (Dirac) and source selector (mixed hifi/hc sources)
I am very pleased with the results (almost flat FR +/- 2db from 20hz to 15khz) and enjoying the sound :)
Even if it hasn't the best specs on the market, it brings a real value.

But there 2 issues that I haven't found any solution yet :
- hiss/white noise in my loudspeakers tweeters audible up to 1 meter.
- cracks/plops when changing presets, loading configuration (such dirac configuration) and also when muting/unmuting the minidsp.

My config is the following:
- Bluesound Node2i > toslink > ddrc24 > RCAtoXLR>Boxem Arthur 3409 > Magnat Quantum 759 TOTL + SVS SB1000 Pro
- Marantz SR6015 > RCA >ddcr24 > ddrc24 > RCAtoXLR>Boxem Arthur 3409 > Magnat Quantum 759 TOTL
- Marantz SR6015 > RCA >SVS SB1000 Pro, center and surround speakers

Everything is automated using a Logitech Harmony hub/remote to launch/witch music and TV/movie activities.

Magnat main speakers are given at 94db sensitivity.
Volume control is done at sources level (node2i, SR6015) and DDRC-24 is set with master volume/outputs at 0db.
The hiss/white noise is independent from the volume.
Disabling any processing does change anything.
Only muting the DDRC-24 make the hiss go way (but then no sound...)

When nothing is connected to the Boxem poweramp on (hyper nc252mp), the mains tweeters are dead silent.
When DDRC-24 is connected to the Boxem on, I get this hiss/white noise on the mains tweeters audible up to 1 meter, even when no sources connected to DDRC-24.
When Node2i is directly connected to the Boxem on, I only get a very weak little hiss/white noise in the tweeter (up to 10-20cm max) (which might be inherent to the tweeter sensitivity ?).

The hiss/white noise issue is not a blocker, most of the time, as my listening position is at 3 meters from the speakers. It is only when the room is dead silent or when I walk close to the main speaker that I can hear it.
The cracks/plops is more annoying as every time that I start a music activity or switch to TV/movie activity, I gets this cracks/plops on the main speakers.
They are not loud but it is frustrating.

DDRC-24 capabilities has really transformed my listening experience but it comes at the moment with these little drawbacks.
I tried naive different options: replacing cables, replacing minidsp power supply,...
With no luck.
I have been in touch with miniDSP support but so far, no solution.
I considered replacing it with a miniDSP SHD (less noise) but cannot be sure I won't get same issues :(

Thus, from your perspective, is there any wrong ? any options to consider ?

Any advice are welcome :)

Thanks in advance !

Vincent

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is nothing to do about these issues unfortunately, the hiss will be radically reduced with the MiniDSP Flex though, if you're still in the return window i would return it and pre-order that.

the pop/crack when switching input is luckily not anywhere close to full-scale loudness.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I bought my unit 18 months ago, thus return winnows has been closed a log time ago.
For music, my only sources are streaming services + NAS.
MiniDSP Flex seems interesting but at its price point, getting the SHD that could replace both DDRC-24 and Node2i, looks to me a better option (am I wrong ?).
Unless the Flex has killer specs/features compared to SHD.

Thus, no change to improve current situation ?
Only option is to move to another Dirac live device (must for me) ?
In this case, what would be the best option ? Combined streamer + DSP/Dirac such as MiniDSP SHD ?
Will other minipDSP device will have same issues ?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought my unit 18 months ago, thus return winnows has been closed a log time ago.
For music, my only sources are streaming services + NAS.
MiniDSP Flex seems interesting but at its price point, getting the SHD that could replace both DDRC-24 and Node2i, looks to me a better option (am I wrong ?).
Unless the Flex has killer specs/features compared to SHD.

Thus, no change to improve current situation ?
Only option is to move to another Dirac live device (must for me) ?
In this case, what would be the best option ? Combined streamer + DSP/Dirac such as MiniDSP SHD ?
Will other minipDSP device will have same issues ?
both the SHD and Flex will have significantly reduced hiss, i would not guarantee absolute silence but theoretically if you can hear it at 1m now it should be only audible at ~10 cm with the SHD or the Flex.

Personally I like to keep the streaming to be an independent device, these things really need to be convenient, up to date, and bug free. Not to mention the software needs to have the features i want. If you're happy with the Node2i in terms of ease of use i would keep it, no need to complicate things.

What you could do currently is perhaps contact @boXem | audio to see if it is possible to lower the gain of the amplifier a bit so it's driven to max output with the 2Vrms of the DDRC-24. this should reduce the hiss.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
My 4x10HD sometimes starts cracking when I have chandeg preset several times. Power off and back helps.

I had some noise with unshielded rca wires. Signal level vs. Amp gain might not be optimal either, like abdo123 said.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I already spoke with Fred about this issue (by the way, he's very cool and very patient ! Great customer support!)
I prefer to not go in the direction of customization of the power amp (if it was possible).
About the hiss, my assumption was that SHD would have a much lower one (few cm from speakers would be good for me).
But would SHD/Flex be cracks free when changing preset and sources ?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
What you could do currently is perhaps contact @boXem | audio to see if it is possible to lower the gain of the amplifier a bit so it's driven to max output with the 2Vrms of the DDRC-24. this should reduce the hiss.
Setting the gain from the NCxxxMP based amps is unfortunately not possible unless an external buffer was installed, which is not the case for my products.
What is possible to do is to have an external attenuator but since the DDRC-24 outputs only 2V, that would kill the headroom.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I guess, that when I won't stand any more these little inconveniences with ddrc-24, I will have to change of device.
Waiting to see if Flex could be an option (meaning keeping the node 2i) or switching to SHD to replace both ddrc-24 and node2i.
It seems that there is no other comparable Dirac based alternative

Thanks for your feedbacks;)

bbforce

But would SHD/Flex be cracks free when changing preset and sources ?

I do have a MiniDSP SHD studio connected to a RME ADI2 DAC which feeds into a Boxem Arthur Purifi amp - cracks / pops were partly a problem when the MiniDSP was powered off before the RME was - I changed my power off sequence (using a Harmoy remote) and this issue was solved.

What I can however confirm is that there is no hiss / crack etc. when changing sources on the SHD nor when changing the Dirac presets in operation.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
I do have a MiniDSP SHD studio connected to a RME ADI2 DAC which feeds into a Boxem Arthur Purifi amp - cracks / pops were partly a problem when the MiniDSP was powered off before the RME was - I changed my power off sequence (using a Harmoy remote) and this issue was solved.

What I can however confirm is that there is no hiss / crack etc. when changing sources on the SHD nor when changing the Dirac presets in operation.

Thanks for the information;)
Good to hear that!

I am interested in the SHD but it seems that the Flex is not just a revamping of 2x4hd but rather based a newer design with specs more aligned on the SHD, it might be more interested to keep the node 2i and get the Flex.
I will wait for feedback on the Flex in January before pulling the trigger!

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,

FYI, I ended up adding attenuation between the DDRC24 and the amplifier.
With enough attenuation, hiss become inaudible and cracks/plops quiet enough to not be an issue anymore.
Loosing some output power but I was far from needing max power of the amplifier.

OP
vicenzo_del_paris

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Little follow-up for those who ran similar noise issues with the 2x4hd / ddrc-24.

I ended up by getting the new minidsp Flex.
- hiss/white noise issue: completely disappeared:) Tweeters are dead silent. Only a very suttle hiss only hearable with the ear bonded to the tweeters (which is expected with sensitive speakers).
- cracks when changing presets: now almost gone. Once every XX preset change I get a suttle crack/plop. Most of the time, dead silence.

Thus, they fixed all of these issues with the Flex :)

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Little follow-up for those who ran similar noise issues with the 2x4hd / ddrc-24.

I ended up by getting the new minidsp Flex.
- hiss/white noise issue: completely disappeared:) Tweeters are dead silent. Only a very suttle hiss only hearable with the ear bonded to the tweeters (which is expected with sensitive speakers).
- cracks when changing presets: now almost gone. Once every XX preset change I get a suttle crack/plop. Most of the time, dead silence.

Thus, they fixed all of these issues with the Flex :)
Congrats!! :cool:

Jeronimusch

I've been using minidsp for along time and own or owned the 2x4, 2x4hd, 4x10 HD and ddrc88bm. They all have the same issue regarding the outputs and contrary to minidsp setup i.e. Pre amp >minidsp>power amp I found out applying the minidsp as source device the solution. I'm not sure but the relative high impedance of the outputs is the cause of hiss and noise. My chain is panasonic dp ub 9004>van Medevoort ca640>minidspddrc88bm>parasound p7>van Medevoort pa111 (2x), van Medevoort pa515 and audiophonics mpa-m500nc (2x). The tweeters are the visaton hoorns tl16h and are dead silent.. A friend of mine uses three denon pma integrated amps with 4x10 HD as source with a node as streaming source same result tweeters are dead silent and that is the volume knob at noon..

Top Bottom