• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP 2x4HD alternatives for PEQ

MichaelP

Hey folks. After much research I’m not seeing many alternative to the MiniDSP for doing DSP based parametric EQ room correction for my application. I know there are tons of preamps / AVRs / integrateds on the market that support some flavor of room correction, but for my system I’d rather insert an EQ into my analog chain.

System is essentially 2.1: Record player -> Phono Preamp -> (EQ?) -> Preamp -> Amp / Sub

The digital side already has EQ via ROON’s DSP. I’ve had very good results with a combination of REW created EQ filters on ROON. The problem is that my analog chain can’t interface with ROON’s DSPs. Would be great to apply those EQs to the analog side. Thoughts, suggestions?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Room EQ is always done on the digital signal. So internally, the box would use a ADC to digitize the analog signal and then convert it back to analog after applying the EQ. Any AVR/Pre/Integrated that has room eq and can take analog/phone inputs will work just the same way.

Or you could buy a good ADC to feed digitized signal to the PC and have it EQed there using Equalizer APO (you can make this common to all output going out of the PC and it takes REW generated files or Roon/JRiver if they allow that kind of input stream to be processed and played (don't have familiarity with the latter software).

OP
M

MichaelP

Yes 100% agree that room EQ will be done on the digital side. MiniDSP seems like a good standalone unit for this. Perhaps there’s another DSP in a box solution out there I‘m not aware of.

ADC + Equalizer APO seems promising. I already have a PC in the system for running ROON. Wonder if it will play nice with all that. Thanks for the suggestion.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes 100% agree that room EQ will be done on the digital side. MiniDSP seems like a good standalone unit for this. Perhaps there’s another DSP in a box solution out there I‘m not aware of.

ADC + Equalizer APO seems promising. I already have a PC in the system for running ROON. Wonder if it will play nice with all that. Thanks for the suggestion.
The SHD will do the same thing and also has ADC, albeit for $1200.

Top Bottom