• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP 2x4 HD vs. nanoDIGI + dedicated DAC, for integrating subs in to my recording studio?

jaminjames

My AD/DA converters are Apogee Symphony. It was a huge upgrade for me, and cost a pretty penny, about $4k. Now that I'm looking to integrate subs to my monitoring chain, I'm realizing I'll be sacrificing my DA conversion in the Symphony for the DSP unit I choose.

I've been looking at the miniDSP 2x4 HD, and nanoDIGI 2x8 B. The Symphony has an optical out that can be configured SMUX, ADAT or SPDIF, so I can skip AD in the DSP unit. The upside of the 2x4 HD is that it has analog outs, the downside, I've read here and a few other places the DA conversion could be better. Upside of nanoDIGI is digital outs, downside is I have to buy a dedicated DAC.

Here are my questions:

- Will the 2x4 HD and nanoDIGI offer the same quality of digital processing inside the unit?
- If I choose the nanoDIGI and get a dedicated DAC like the Soncoz LA-QXD1, will that offer better DA conversion than the 2x4 HD?
- Is there a better DAC in the $200 price range? (at least three analog outs, at least two balanced).
- nanoDIGI + $200 DAC is getting close in price to the DDRC-24. I know this comes with Dirac, but I'm not extremely interested in room correction. However, if the DAC in the DDRC-24 would offer equal quality to a dedicated DAC in the $200 price range, it might be worth it to me to spend the extra $100 on the DDRC-24 and get Dirac as well.
- Are there any DSP units out there other than miniDSP that would give me a better DA results at a similar price?

Thanks so much for any wisdom you guys can share with me. The digital side of audio is something unfamiliar to me, but I'm learning a lot reading this forum and trying to get myself educated. Thanks so much for such a great resource!

bbizzle

I'm way late to the party here, but I'm doing a very similar thing - went with the nanodigi. For conversion I went with a Schiit Modi3+ for my subs and the Modius for my balanced main speakers. The specs are really impressive and comparable to the conversion in my RME UFX interface.

What did you end up doing?

Top Bottom