• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

minidsp 2.4hd dirac vs 22d for living room stereo + single subwoofer

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have axiom axiom dipole lfr1100s in my living room with a single EP500 sub. the audio comes from amazon fire tv cube tosline -> vizio tv toslink (which i think resamples so i'm thinking of extracting spdif from the HDMI out on the cube). this runs into a sabaj d5 to XLRs into the adau1701 DSP (the designer recently designed an upgrade but of course he had to redesign with AKM chips and now he has to redesign due to the fire :(. it'll be a few months before he has a new ESS or ? solution ) + 4-channel ADA1000 and RCA into the sub which produces plenty of low end.

it sounds good enough for HT, but i'm starting to find that the critical listening is lacking. i do really like the dipoles because my listening room is, well, crap, and my couch is huge. i think i'd like to dirac because full room response is critical for the dipole tuning. however, i'm not sure whether i should do it in the digital domain or replace the sabaj with a 2.4HD + dirac plugin. i have a umik already, but i haven't measured in the room yet because i can't apply any corrections between the cube or TV yet. also lack of time this weekend, since i blew all my correction time on my near field genelecs in my office (which are amazing)

because of WAF, i'm not going to put an SHD streamer in the chain. i'll probably also not buy a 2.4HD and then a 22d because i'd rather one and done. that said, she mostly uses the system for HT, so the critical listening is something i'm doing. she uses her headphone system for critical listening for the most part, but that's also because the living room system doesn't hold a candle to her headphones.

any thoughts on this? one thing to consider if that there is a HUGE on axis listening position because of the dipole response. hence, my desire to do multiple dirac measurements instead of a single REW EQ at a single listening position.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I recently purchased miniDSP 2x4 HD to correct my 2 SVS 12inch subs for both movies and music. I use a Yamaha RXV775 AVR feeding via RCA XLR to Genelec active monitor 5.2 set up. Since Yamaha AVR does not do a good sub correction, I plunged into miniDSP 2x4 HD. Initially I tried using only REW but was not satisfied. I learnt in the forums, that one has spend a lot of time tweaking the REW to get the max. To save time, I upgraded the 2x4HD to Dirac (i.e. DDRC24). The set up was a breeze and what a difference with DIRAC. My subs are now sounding excellent in my room. The bass is tight, precise and is fun. For 2ch music, I use a Raspberry Pi4 as streamer which feeds digital to Topping D10s via usb. From topping, I use a SPIDF AES cable to feed my Genelec LR front speakers. I also use a TOSLINK cable to feed miniDSP to connect to my SVS subs for 2 channel music. I am pretty happy with the outcome (except that my Genelecs are currently running full range in music whereas crosses at 90HZ for movies in AVR). I will introduce a digital crossover for music sometimes in the future.

I can only say that miniDSP 2x4 HD with DIRAC is worth, atleast in my case. In my listening room, I also have a DIY open baffle dipole speaker for music listening. I was never happy with the bass of a dipole and I was missing a sub.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using DDRC-24 and it’s pretty okay too, so feel free to use it if you’re out of money and patience.

But honestly, i wish i would have cut my investment short and got something like the SHD power. I’m kind of done with too many little boxes doing one function only.

Sprint

Forum Donor
I’m using DDRC-24 and it’s pretty okay too, so feel free to use it if you’re out of money and patience.

But honestly, i wish i would have cut my investment short and got something like the SHD power. I’m kind of done with too many little boxes doing one function only.

absolutely agree. so many small boxes is annoying. the SHD or SHD power is very expensive in EU > 1600 Euros. on top someone in ASR mentioned in one of my threads that SHD had some issues with Volumio/ Qobuz combination. this made me go for raspberry pi4 and DDRC24 combo. now I need to apply high pass filter to my Genelecs. It looks like I need to buy an other box miniDSP nano Digital 2x8.

Top Bottom